Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Not surprised. Halak complained at seasons end and nothing changed. He probably complained to his agent recently, and now the agent complained.

Anyone who is surprised Snow put Halak on the trading block hasn't paid attention very well.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I feel bad for Jaro. He doesn't deserve the hate he's been getting.

It all originates from 2 years ago. People never forgave him for the flub against the Flyers or the OT loss to Columbus on the last day of the year. :shakehead

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Pretty sure Halak has been available for MONTHS now, and no one has wanted him.

Let's not act like the 'news' really changes anything.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/a...ased-with-isles-three-goalie-system/207532840

I agree. It's nice to have insurance in case you lose a goalie to injury but it's not an ideal situation. Jaro was unhappy in STL for something similar. Enough is enough already.

Quote from Allen Walsh "Starting goalie for NY Islanders last game had only 1 quality practice in last 5 days before Penguins game. Going on 2 years of this now."

Gonna guess that none of the three goalies is happy with the situation.
I am surprised that Snow entered the season with 3 goalies again, risking a repeat of Halak's open unhappiness.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Pretty sure Halak has been available for MONTHS now, and no one has wanted him.

Let's not act like the 'news' really changes anything.

Exactly.

As a result of Walsh's tweets, I think this is Snow's way of publicly responding to the hockey world with: we've been trying to trade him but nobody is interested.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Return for Halak has nothing to do with this. It is about reducing the number of goaltenders to two. Moving his salary (4.5 million) opens a space for a player, and that all on its own has tremendous value. Move him for nothing if need be. Just move him.

FYI, the above is not a criticism of Halak. It simply is seeing what needs to happen, and doing it.

Halak and Greiss are the best options if this team hopes to make the playoffs. The team has 5 million from Grabovski if they choose to do so. The extra potential cap money from moving Halak means nothing when they won't spend it.

Snow is being a stubborn jackass as usual putting his own ego above the team. Berube is a dime a dozen goalie but Snow knows better than 29 other teams.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Halak is the drama in all this. The Isles have played up Greiss as the loyal soldier. Berube may be frustrated bc he needs games to develop to earn a bigger contract otherwise he could be undermining his career earnings potential.

However, Halak is the precedent for the drama so it all points to him.

Walsh sees the goalie market, needs to put Halak in a happy place, and get Berube playing time
to get intrack to make money (Walsh is motivated for Berube really and protecting his existing asset in Halak. He doesnt give a crap about Greiss.)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Halak and Greiss are the best options if this team hopes to make the playoffs. The team has 5 million from Grabovski if they choose to do so. The extra potential cap money from moving Halak means nothing when they won't spend it.

Snow is being a stubborn jackass as usual putting his own ego above the team. Berube is a dime a dozen goalie but Snow knows better than 29 other teams.

This is exactly the case. I am literally SHOCKED at how the majority of Isles fans continue to defend the GM that gives this team no chance to win and hates on the goalie on the roster who gives them the best chance to win complaining about a situation not a single other starting goalie in the league would accept.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Not surprised. Halak complained at seasons end and nothing changed. He probably complained to his agent recently, and now the agent complained.

Anyone who is surprised Snow put Halak on the trading block hasn't paid attention very well.

Garth should have traded him in the summer then. Three goalies does not work. Everyone seems to know this except Snow.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Garth should have traded him in the summer then. Three goalies does not work. Everyone seems to know this except Snow.

Or, you know, you can do the thing any competent GM would do. Keep your number one goalie signed for two years still and dump the 26 year old journeyman who has proven nothing in the NHL, and go with Halak and Greiss as your two goalies. No, not the Isles and not Garth Snow. Always thinking he knows better than the rest of the NHL.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This is exactly the case. I am literally SHOCKED at how the majority of Isles fans continue to defend the GM that gives this team no chance to win and hates on the goalie on the roster who gives them the best chance to win complaining about a situation not a single other starting goalie in the league would accept.

It's called blinders. Snow has made some good moves and bad moves over the years. The way he has handled this goalie situation is pure stubbornness on Snow's part. The Barzal situation is another one i think Garth has screwed up. If cappy was hardly going to play the kid then he should have been sent back to juniors as there was no room for him at the current time.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Or, you know, you can do the thing any competent GM would do. Keep your number one goalie signed for two years still and dump the 26 year old journeyman who has proven nothing in the NHL, and go with Halak and Greiss as your two goalies. No, not the Isles and not Garth Snow. Always thinking he knows better than the rest of the NHL.

Either way you have to make a descision. Either Trade Halak or wave Berube. Now you three ring circus.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Either way you have to make a descision. Either Trade Halak or wave Berube. Now you three ring circus.

Like I said in this thread earlier and another thread. It is now officially time to move on from Garth Snow. It has been debatable up to now, many of us think he should have been gone already, but look at this roster and realize he started this rebuild 8 years ago. This roster has regressed from where it was 2 years ago. We should be on the brink of contention right now, instead we have the worst roster we have had in 3 years. This was his last chance. He HAS to go. I dont know if the new owners truly understand what will happen if this season falls apart in the next few weeks. We will have already played 25% of our home schedule, the team will fall apart, JT leaving questions will become the story and Barclays Center will be lucky to have 6,000 people there for most games the rest of the season. Get Snow out and bring in someone who will not hesitate to make some moves to get this team where it should have been this summer.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Isles fans have turned Berube into a 'dime a dozen' and 'journeyman' yet, he was a 4th round pick of a team known as a respected Goalie factory, was brought along slowly by LAK, won a Memorial Cup, and was put on waivers by the team bc they didn't have the roster space and wanted to sneak him through....

Everything points to the guys career going UP, yet Isles fans are dismissing the guy and all googoo Gaga over some drafted goalie in Russia...

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Isles fans have turned Berube into a 'dime a dozen' and 'journeyman' yet, he was a 4th round pick of a team known as a respected Goalie factory, was brought along slowly by LAK, won a Memorial Cup, and was put on waivers by the team bc they didn't have the roster space and wanted to sneak him through....

Everything points to the guys career going UP, yet Isles fans are dismissing the guy and all googoo Gaga over some drafted goalie in Russia...

Are you serious with this post? On so many levels I dont even know why I am wasting my time responding. First Sorokin who I assume you are referring to is 21 and dominating a league for 2 years now with far better players than the AHL. Berube is 26 and his AHL numbers have not even been that impressive.
Second, Halak is a proven goalie in the NHL. He may not be a top 10 or even top 15, but he is a proven starting goalie in the NHL. Berube on the other hand has proven nothing. So you want to get rid of Halak (probably for a fourth round pick) and go with a career backup goalie with one breakout season and a 26 year old AHL journeyman who has proven nothing in the NHL. Are we the Buffalo sabres/Arizona Coyotes, or a team that is 8 years into a rebuild and supposed to be contenders?

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I would say those are two critical fails as a goalie at a critical time...

How'd he do in Game 6 vs WAS?

And there's also the fact he hurt our feelings by voicing his complaints about this perfectly reasonable situation we're in. No can do, he has to go, our .913 Sv% AHL superstar needs playing time. To the playoffs and beyond!

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
They progressed. They went from no playoffs, to playoffs in 3 out of 4 years. They went from lottery pick to back to back 100 point seasons. They went from never advancing passed the first round to doing so. That's progress and you don't get fired for progress. The bar moves up with each advancement the team makes. If they fail to meet those new expectations, heads will roll.

Yes but how long before that had they missed the playoffs?? Without the addition of
a goalie, Chi & Bostons cap casualties this mess would have continued into these past years as well! Being realistic, hes not a good GM, hes the polar opposite of the other poor GM Milbury who reacted to 1 bad game. I'm sure if we were privy to possible additions we missed out on because we didnt want to move player X we would be sick

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Halak has every right to complain. The situation is a joke and yes Berube is a dime a dozen goalie at this point. Who would want a goalie who has played about 10 games in the past 365 days

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
For those still defending Snow somehow, I guess you havent noticed we are currently the worst team in the Eastern Conference. It looks like Edmonton's rebuild that everyone made fun of for so long has sped past us like a racecar. Yet Garth Snow continues to have a job.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
For those still defending Snow somehow, I guess you havent noticed we are currently the worst team in the Eastern Conference. It looks like Edmonton's rebuild that everyone made fun of for so long has sped past us like a racecar. Yet Garth Snow continues to have a job.
The Edmonton Oilers drafted a generational talent in McDavid. That helps a lot.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

That's stretching it. There's like 9 teams with 6-9 points. If we win tonight we are practically 8th.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Halak has every right to complain. The situation is a joke and yes Berube is a dime a dozen goalie at this point. Who would want a goalie who has played about 10 games in the past 365 days
And what about Halak? Is he a dime a dozen goalie too? Because my impression is there is probably more team that would want Berube over Halak. It seems no one wants Halak. Same probably happen with the Jets with Pavelec. They decided to waive him.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The Edmonton Oilers drafted a generational talent in McDavid. That helps a lot.

And what is John Tavares? Chopped liver? It is about who you surround your superstar with. Edmonton's third line wingers are currently better than our first line wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad