Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Snow has to go, it is long overdue, but now it is finally time. Get him out before this team just falls completely apart from within. The agent is absolutely right. This team is a ****ing circus led by a clown GM. No starting goalie in the league would want to deal with this situation. Halak is 100% right here. And then snow wants to trade him. Ledecky please fire this damn idiot.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't know how much I believe this. It's easy to put that out there after Walsh tweet.

Also, I'd much rather a Halak/Greiss duo than a Greiss/Berube one.

I don't see anyone taking Halak because of the goalie market and his cap.

We will have to retain 50% of Halak's cap hit for any team interested in taking him off our hands.
Snow is way too smart for his own good.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
I think we're at the point where we can safely say Snow is smacked off his t1@s. Halak is our best goalie. I like Greiss, but remember the Hamburglar? Where is Hammond now? You cannot put your faith in a career backup and an unproven prospect like Berube.

Decisions like this cost the team a playoff shot. Snow is clueless, and what value return do we get on Halak? It's gonna be Vanek levels of underwhelming.

Between losing okposo without making any offer, waiving Parentau, signing a declining Ladd to a mega contract and thinking Chimera can do seven roles at once, this has been a horror story of a start to the season and it is showing. Couple that with unwavering faith in Flinstone and that idiot Weight and it adds up to an organisation totally incapable of supporting Tavares and competing with the best.

I wish Halak the best wherever he goes, he's too good for this clown show of a franchise.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
theres probably alot more to this that went down last season that left snow/cappy/wang ******** .everyone knows that when offend the brass your out the door .

I remember being a bit shocked at some tweets from staple that indicated isles were done with halak last spring but nothing came of it over the summer.I kept waiting for more tweets that threw halak under the bus etc.

anyways , I dont see a market for halak unless isles eat half the contract or take a bad contract back like d.brown

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
theres probably alot more to this that went down last season that left snow/cappy/wang ******** .everyone knows that when offend the brass your out the door .

I remember being a bit shocked at some tweets from staple that indicated isles were done with halak last spring but nothing came of it over the summer.I kept waiting for more tweets that threw halak under the bus etc.

anyways , I dont see a market for halak unless isles eat half the contract or take a bad contract back like d.brown

it's not really a 3 man rotation, unless all 3 goalies are playing. Berube is like a practice goalie, really.

i don't see the issue, unless they chose to do something like sending Beau down, because there is no room.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So Halak is on the market? Big deal! He was available last summer and all through the WCH in September. His contract makes it harder to deal him, and most likely trade partner Los Angeles won 3 games in OT and is 3-0-1 since being forced to start Peter Budaj and may not be so anxious to make a move right now.

The bigger problem I have here is Garth Snow attempting to hoard 3 goaltenders for a 2nd year and continuing an untenable situation. JF Berube is an expensive insurance policy against a goalie injury. The cost of that policy is a roster spot.

And if Thomas Greiss was all that, he would have won the nominal "#1" job for the Isles this season.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Four teams have traded away Halak.

Now a fifth has placed him on the block.

I tend to look at the common denominator..

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Everyone from Fischler to Radek said at the beginning of the season that this situation can't go on much longer. Now you have this with Halek's agent which was bound to happen. Snow should have rectified this situation before the start of the season.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Everyone from Fischler to Radek said at the beginning of the season that this situation can't go on much longer. Now you have this with Halek's agent which was bound to happen. Snow should have rectified this situation before the start of the season.

Snow had 2 very very easy options over the off season to address the situation. 1 option was to let Berube walk as UFA by not qualifying him. The other was to waive Berube.Snow sat on his hands like he always does.

Of course Halak is pissed, I am sure Greiss is to but he is keeping a low profile about it. How many other teams have had 3 goalies for an extended amount of time over the past 2 seasons...ZERO

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
it's not really a 3 man rotation, unless all 3 goalies are playing. Berube is like a practice goalie, really.

i don't see the issue, unless they chose to do something like sending Beau down, because there is no room.

honestly think the whole thing is being waaay overblown but the easy way to simmer the pot is to waive berube .

halak-greiss is probably the best tandem the isles have had since the dynasty era

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I'm sure Halak's agent's tweet didn't happen without prior knowledge of Halak. Alan Walsh works for Jaroslav Halak, not the other way around.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
The coach chooses who plays, the GM decides (in the end) who gets waived.

Yes, of course. Capuano and Snow are known to work completely separately from each other. I won't waive Berube, Jack. Well in your face! I won't play him, Garth.

The GM decides what the plan is and so indirectly decides who plays. If the coach doesn't comply, he risks getting fired. Not to mention the GM-coach relationship here is probably even closer than the norm.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Until JT says for the 100th time "I want to be an Islander for life"

I am not saying he is leaving but it will be trending and it will be annoying and I dont want this over shadowing our season. If we are below .500 at the trade deadline you know teams will be making the call to Garth for John Tavares. Reporters will pick up on that and it will be the most talked about event. Of course he wont be traded but the conversation will trend and its all because our inept GM has allowed this to fester and we are stuck with a brain dead coaching staff.

Ive said this for years.. The Garth Regime needs to end and now with new owners weve kept them on board , WHY??? Cause we played a week of Hockey in May!!

Give me a Break!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am not saying he is leaving but it will be trending and it will be annoying and I dont want this over shadowing our season. If we are below .500 at the trade deadline you know teams will be making the call to Garth for John Tavares. Reporters will pick up on that and it will be the most talked about event. Of course he wont be traded but the conversation will trend and its all because our inept GM has allowed this to fester and we are stuck with a brain dead coaching staff.

Ive said this for years.. The Garth Regime needs to end and now with new owners weve kept them on board , WHY??? Cause we played a week of Hockey in May!!

Give me a Break!!!

They progressed. They went from no playoffs, to playoffs in 3 out of 4 years. They went from lottery pick to back to back 100 point seasons. They went from never advancing passed the first round to doing so. That's progress and you don't get fired for progress. The bar moves up with each advancement the team makes. If they fail to meet those new expectations, heads will roll.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Give me a Break!!!

Tavares would be dumb to make a knee jerk decision based on what may be one bad season. The team still is stacked defensively and has plenty of upcoming offensive promise and a good goalie in Russia. If the future was bleak I could understand leaving but I hope he doesn't let one bad season make the decision.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
They progressed. They went from no playoffs, to playoffs in 3 out of 4 years. They went from lottery pick to back to back 100 point seasons. They went from never advancing passed the first round to doing so. That's progress and you don't get fired for progress. The bar moves up with each advancement the team makes. If they fail to meet those new expectations, heads will roll.

PK, you seriously need to raise the bar of success in your life. what you just stated was over the course of 9 years. That isn't progress.. That's accepting Mediocrity.

Treating winning a playoff round as the equivalent of a Stanley Cup is sad. We need to be better then this.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Tavares would be dumb to make a knee jerk decision based on what may be one bad season. The team still is stacked defensively and has plenty of upcoming offensive promise and a good goalie in Russia. If the future was bleak I could understand leaving but I hope he doesn't let one bad season make the decision.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying. I dont think Tavares is going to leave BUT if we are falling into the same decline and a 3 goalie drama is circulating in the locker room on top of losing. You know the Hockey World is going to write countless articles on Tavares leaving. Even if it isnt true.. They will write about it and it will be a negative light on our franchise and demoralize our fan base even further.

Now if you are John Tavares and you are a free agent, do you really want to deal with this? Forget Toronto.. Look around the other teams that can easily write you a blank check. This is what we will be forced to deal with all season. All of this needs to change if we right the ship and start winning but if we lose tonight and continue to slide before Thanksgiving.. How much more do we have to see before we finally fire Jack Capuano? Who replaces him?? Doug Weight?!!? Brent Thompson?!?!

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Also, anyone thinking the return for Halak is going to be good —you're in for a rude surprise. A middle of the pack goalie with a real salary, with us as the desperate ones? We're looking at a mid-round pick at best.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Return for Halak has nothing to do with this. It is about reducing the number of goaltenders to two. Moving his salary (4.5 million) opens a space for a player, and that all on its own has tremendous value. Move him for nothing if need be. Just move him.

FYI, the above is not a criticism of Halak. It simply is seeing what needs to happen, and doing it.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
With his salary in mind he can be moved for a mid round pick, probably a 3rd. If the isles want to package him to get a player back they will need to retain salary. There's really no market for a goalie, let alone a team looking for a starting goalie.

And might I add I think it would be a mistake moving him. Halak/Griess give the isles the best chance at winning. Time to move berube

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
With his salary in mind he can be moved for a mid round pick, probably a 3rd. If the isles want to package him to get a player back they will need to retain salary. There's really no market for a goalie, let alone a team looking for a starting goalie.

And might I add I think it would be a mistake moving him. Halak/Griess give the isles the best chance at winning. Time to move berube

The most frustrating part of this is that our mediocre GM will have Grabovski's $5 million and somewhere between $2 and $4.5 million of Halak's money free to spend on making the team better now, but he's not good enough at his job to figure out how to do so. We could potentially be a win-now playoff contender with $10 million available to spend, and no players to spend it on.

The three goalie decision was stupid, but Garf's ridiculously thin skin may now force the team into a move that produces virtually no benefit other than correcting the error his own poor decision making created.

But yeah, we won a round, so...

scott99

May 13, 2005
Have not been impressed with Halak this season. Has given up several bad goals his first few starts. I think he's letting the 3 goalie thing to get to him mentally. Not very sharp in net, looks distracted. I think he needs to go ASAP before his value disintegrates.

Berube needs starts now, not weeks from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad