Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
He's doing what he should have been doing last summer. A knee-jerk reaction based on an agents whining is another story. This also weakens his negotiating power if he feels pressured to make a move, meaning we may get next to nothing in return in a trade.

Dumping the contract is probably all the Isles really want - maybe some offsetting salary. If you are looking for actual value coming back - forget it.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I still can't believed we waived PA, instead of Berube... do we think we'll get a better haul in a trade for one of our goalies (presumably Halak)?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This move makes sense if they're sure Sorokin is coming next year, if not its risky. Berube may indeed be an NHL caliber goalie but we have no idea.

This has nothing to do with Sorokin.

It's dump Jaro. Resign Greiss for $3M on a 2yr deal and go with Berube as the backup on a cheap deal but also thinking Berube is your Martin Jones...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This has nothing to do with Sorokin.

It's dump Jaro. Resign Greiss for $3M on a 2yr deal and go with Berube as the backup on a cheap deal but also thinking Berube is your Martin Jones...

I think there is something else up. It sounded like they wanted to move him this summer for a time. Entirely possible that he's not getting along with someone, whether it be team members or management.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
:laugh: What an absolute joke. And all this is happening because the organization refuses to waive a run of the mill goalie prospect they are mysteriously high on yet they don't want to play him in actual games.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
So, how many more teams is Halak going to play on before his act gets old?

He played himself out of STL - they didn't believe in him so they tossed him at the deadline (remember he was on a playoff team).

He didn't endear himself in WAS by not wanting to play STL and didn't go much for them in the playoffs.

Isles scooped him up bc they needed a legit starter but realize he's kinda a drama queen.

And what act is that? Not wanting to put up with a 3 headed goalie abomination that makes it unable to practice properly? I imagine there's quite a few teams for him left, because not many are being this ridiculous with their goalies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
:laugh: What an absolute joke. And all this is happening because the organization refuses to waive a run of the mill goalie prospect they are mysteriously high on yet they don't want to play him in actual games.

All this is happening bc of Halak's injuries and his questionable conditioning. Thus, Berube feel into their lap. The backup outplayed their starter and was more reliable and won them a freaking playoff series...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
And what act is that? Not wanting to put up with a 3 headed goalie abomination that makes it unable to practice properly? I imagine there's quite a few teams for him left, because not many are being this ridiculous with their goalies.

So his lack of practice and preparation is now the cause of his
mental breakdowns resulting in Isles losses? Ok...

What's hilarious is teams in the World Cup and Olympics carry three goalies for about 4-6 weeks... This guy is already complaining about it...

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
This was a crap year to be an Islander GM, no matter who he was given the actualities coming in. Given there is likely only one winning outcome in the manner of handling personnel and such and more then a multitude of losing scenarios...my best guess would be 9 of 10 GM's would have made the wrong decisions to this point no matter who they were.

With that said...the three goalies and a number of other things would not have changed much in terms of how this club is currently producing....so with that set aside.....who we have here better step up and start playing as ultimately it really does not matter which goalie goes if you are not scoring.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
All this is happening bc of Halak's injuries and his questionable conditioning. Thus, Berube feel into their lap. The backup outplayed their starter and was more reliable and won them a freaking playoff series...

Problem is there is no way to know what Berube is. With goalies it generally takes 30 game or more til you know...many can be good for 10-20 games. Talbot was good for more than that and he sucks now.

Spybot

May 12, 2014

Well it seems Halak's not injured anymore, they can get rid of Berube. Or sit Halak and play Berube if they love him so much.

Is Halak the most injury prone goalie in the league? I highly doubt that. But it's truly amazing how the other teams manage to function with only 2 goalies+whatever they have in the AHL, yet we've needed 3 for more than a year.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Problem is there is no way to know what Berube is. With goalies it generally takes 30 game or more til you know...many can be good for 10-20 games. Talbot was good for more than that and he sucks now.

Sure, but Halak is getting you to the playoffs - that's it. Greiss did the same without the drama and the contract. Berube comes from the LAK goalie mill producing Quick, Jones, Bernier (once upon a time a legit G to be).

Spybot

May 12, 2014
So his lack of practice and preparation is now the cause of his
mental breakdowns resulting in Isles losses? Ok...

What's hilarious is teams in the World Cup and Olympics carry three goalies for about 4-6 weeks... This guy is already complaining about it...

Mental breakdowns? Really? :laugh: Give me a break.

He's not "already complaining about it" just now, he's been complaining about it for a good while because the situation has gone on for forever! And I'm not even gonna try to make sense of you comparing a tournament with an NHL season.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Absurd.
:handclap: Well done Garth...

Halak is the most experienced and has one season after this left on his deal. What the hell is a draft pick going to do for this team NOW?

Berube doesn't see rubber in live play, it's insane.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

So you rather we keep the only guy complaining and is constantly injured (who wont be there for us come playoff time) who makes 4.5M to be our back up ? Ill take Berube. Greiss and Berube was the way to go from the start. No one was going to take Jaro over the summer...the worlds helped his value. we will move him and be a better team for it. I wish him the best.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So you rather we keep the only guy complaining and is constantly injured (who wont be there for us come playoff time) who makes 4.5M to be our back up ? Ill take Berube. Greiss and Berube was the way to go from the start. No one was going to take Jaro over the summer...the worlds helped his value. we will move him and be a better team for it. I wish him the best.

I have to disagree with ya. Jaro played well for Team Europe but I will say, in game play this season, Greiss has been sharper. I still don't see how it got to this, pretty dysfunctional for a NHL organization. Wise business guys like Ledecky and Malkin must have a pulse on the team. It is pretty concerning, the braintrust of the organization is rotting. Can't get a damn thing right..

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
[/SIZE][/B]

Honestly if they dont wake up and continue to fall into the November Slump and this nonsense drama continues then that hashtag becomes a trending top 10 topic on twitter by Xmas.

Until JT says for the 100th time "I want to be an Islander for life"

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Yes, I take Jaro for 40 games a year over Berube and over-working Greiss because he had one good year. Halak was good/great in the playoffs against Washington for the team. Why will he automatically get hurt for the playoffs? His 4.5 is whatever. Whoever the Isles sign, if Halak is moved, will make close to that anyway...so it's barely saving any money. So yes, I'd pay him 4.5 million to play backup for this year and re-address the situation in the summer, unless a move for someone like Bishop happens.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
the organization refuses to waive a run of the mill goalie prospect they are mysteriously high on yet they don't want to play him in actual games.

The coach chooses who plays, the GM decides (in the end) who gets waived.

Snow is much dumber than he appears.

Honestly, he should have seen this coming a mile away. I mean, it was already a bone of contention in freaking June.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hah, I just saw the Staple tweet about Garth throwing Halak on the market in reaction to Walsh going public with his and his client's unhappiness at the 3 goaltender monster.

What a boob. Talk about a man without a plan. Now he looks like an amateur GM.

72769631.jpg

That said, it should have been "sorted out" before the season started. Bush league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad