Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Well, Halak went public on his own - that's insubordinate to your employer as an employee. If his agent wants to go public, that's fine, but it ALWAYS reflects on the player, his client.

Halak should go, but he was injured during the only time to trade him (the summer) and needed the WC to be marketable. At this point (and the one prior), Halak has been publicly reacting. Capuano sort of indicated in several instances that Halak's injury was about conditioning or his commitment. To me, ther is more about this story than is publicly known. However, I go back to the same situation - Halak was drama before, he's doing it again.

I would take my chances with Greiss/Berube.

i was thinking that we were better with Halak, but his *****ing and moaning could very well be a net negative.

i am with you, as far as letting Halak go, as long as Snow can make use of the cap space. with Grabo on LTIR (i hope), and Halak gone, we have another 10 mil to spend. another top RW would be great.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Yes, but you have teams who need a goalie who may be willing to overpay.

I don't think anyone wants to deal with the extra year of the contract. LA is the only team that currently needs a goalie and they can't afford to pay Halak or any goalie 4.5 million next year as a backup.

Like him or not the Isles are stuck with Halak and Snow should make the best of the situation instead of throwing a grenade at it.

Berube should be in his prime and has played 12 games in the past 365 days. The Isles invested nothing in him yet act like he was a 1st overall pick the developed for 7 years.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Are you serious with this post? On so many levels I dont even know why I am wasting my time responding. First Sorokin who I assume you are referring to is 21 and dominating a league for 2 years now with far better players than the AHL. Berube is 26 and his AHL numbers have not even been that impressive.
Second, Halak is a proven goalie in the NHL. He may not be a top 10 or even top 15, but he is a proven starting goalie in the NHL. Berube on the other hand has proven nothing. So you want to get rid of Halak (probably for a fourth round pick) and go with a career backup goalie with one breakout season and a 26 year old AHL journeyman who has proven nothing in the NHL. Are we the Buffalo sabres/Arizona Coyotes, or a team that is 8 years into a rebuild and supposed to be contenders?

This is an interesting post. Though somewhat misinformed. Berube turned 25 in July. Some goalies take some seasoning before they are ready to become starters in the NHL. For a form of reference, Corey Crawford was 25 when he finally became the starter for the Blackhawks, and actually became 26 two months after that particular season started. Berube has taken a very similar path to Crawford (QMJHL, minor leagues, in fact Crawford played way more minor league games than Berube). So I wonder if Hawks fans were calling Crawford a journeyman ?

Not saying Berube is gonna turn out to be as good as Crawford, just saying they have been on similar paths. And several successful NHL goalies have followed this same path. I wouldn't give up on Berube just yet. And apparently the Islander's brass feel very high on his potential. They may be one of the worst management groups out there, but they still know a helluva lot more about hockey and scouting then us fans ever will.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Not saying Berube is gonna turn out to be as good as Crawford, just saying they have been on similar paths. And several successful NHL goalies have followed this same path. I wouldn't give up on Berube just yet. And apparently the Islander's brass feel very high on his potential. They may be one of the worst management groups out there, but they still know a helluva lot more about hockey and scouting then us fans ever will.

How many goalies turned out to have solid careers after playing 12 professional games during a year in their prime. Berube may be great some day but who cares if its on a different team. This is a "win now" team despite the poor roster. They can't afford to wait on Berube's "potential"

Last edited:

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Why is it, that whoever is at the helm of the USS Islanders,
they think they are better,
can out smart,
can out do,
and think outside the box better than the other 29 GMs?

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'd try and flip Halak to Dallas for Nichushkin rights + pick, we can retain some salary if need be

intriguing, but i really don't know anything about Nichushkin's attitude. could he be another Nino? maybe just getting rid of one headache for another?

but if the Isles brass really believe in Berube, i think i would give it a go. but only if Greiss can be signed to a reasonable contract, for a few years.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
intriguing, but i really don't know anything about Nichushkin's attitude. could he be another Nino? maybe just getting rid of one headache for another?

but if the Isles brass really believe in Berube, i think i would give it a go. but only if Greiss can be signed to a reasonable contract, for a few years.

Hypothetically if Nichushkin were to produce like Nino has with the Wild that trade would be well worth it

I think he is signed 2 years in KHL anyway

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Why is it, that whoever is at the helm of the USS Islanders,
they think they are better,
can out smart,
can out do,
and think outside the box better than the other 29 GMs?

And what's the basis of that? They walked into last year with a concern about the health of Halak and covered for it with Berube - they made the right call, not once, but twice as he went down twice. Isles did not have the goaltending depth.

It seems the Isles have been trying to unjam themselves of the situation by trading the drama, but he got injured preventing a trade and throwing caution to his marketability.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
And what's the basis of that? They walked into last year with a concern about the health of Halak and covered for it with Berube - they made the right call, not once, but twice as he went down twice. Isles did not have the goaltending depth.

It seems the Isles have been trying to unjam themselves of the situation by trading the drama, but he got injured preventing a trade and throwing caution to his marketability.

This.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
PK, you seriously need to raise the bar of success in your life. what you just stated was over the course of 9 years. That isn't progress.. That's accepting Mediocrity.

Treating winning a playoff round as the equivalent of a Stanley Cup is sad. We need to be better then this.

This is such a cop out response. I'm accepting mediocrity because the team has progressed? I'm treating winning a playoff round as the equivalent of a Stanley Cup because I mentioned it's progress towards winning a Stanley Cup?

You're right, the team needs to be better, and they're trending towards being better. When they stop trending that way, heads roll. That's reality. That's how life works. It's that simple.

Yes but how long before that had they missed the playoffs?? Without the addition of
a goalie, Chi & Bostons cap casualties this mess would have continued into these past years as well! Being realistic, hes not a good GM, hes the polar opposite of the other poor GM Milbury who reacted to 1 bad game. I'm sure if we were privy to possible additions we missed out on because we didnt want to move player X we would be sick

And how long was Snow stuck under Wang's unwillingness to spend money? He made good managerial moves by grabbing those cap casualties, while in a terrible situation. I don't think Snow walks on water or anything, but he's earned some leeway from me. Capuano is closer to the axe than Snow is for me, and Capuano is one misstep away.

I'd be very curious as to who we didn't move for whatever players, but I'm sure you could say that about a lot of GM's honestly.

scott99

May 13, 2005
How many goalies turned out to have solid careers after playing 12 professional games during a year in their prime. Berube may be great some day but who cares if its on a different team. This is a "win now" team despite the poor roster. They can't afford to wait on Berube's "potential"

Who says they have to wait. Play him now. Only way Chicago found out Crawford was ready, is, they PLAYED HIM.

I have no indication that Berube ISN'T ready, besides poor management by the Islanders. He played very well when given the chance last season. Nobody says wait for his potential, He's either ready now, or he may never be ready. But you can't tell anything about a player if he's on the bench constantly.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Greiss, once again, is playing better than Halak. Very rarely gives up a BAD goal, is big, strong, rarely gets hurt, and is a year or 2 younger than Halak. His time has arrived. Time to cut and run on Halak. I hope this happens sooner rather then later (and then sign Greiss to an extension). Unfortunately for the Islanders, Halak didn't keep up his stellar play from the World Cup, so his worth isn't as high as a month ago.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Why would we want him? Another 30 point player on a packed roster. He's young and has size, but...

I could be wrong, but I believe Nuke signed a two-year deal in the KHL, right? So I assume most of the posters figure get his rights and see where we are in a couple years. Maybe he is cheap depth when some of the current Isles are getting more expensive. I am not a fan of Nuke but I can see the logic in that.

That said, I would rather keep the two best goalies now and just fix the situation, regardless of return. I only move Halak, if the Isles plan to add another big piece down the line and need the cap flexibility.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hypothetically if Nichushkin were to produce like Nino has with the Wild that trade would be well worth it

I think he is signed 2 years in KHL anyway

Nickushkin is having a solid season for CSKA. Surprisingly, our old pal Petrov is having his best season ever on the same team, leading the team in goals with 8 and second on the team with 15 points (1 point behind the leader). I wonder if Petrov has burned too many bridges to come back, he is in his prime at 26, maybe that ship has sailed. But Nickushkin + for Halak sounds like a great idea.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
And I will add that I do not see what goes on in practice. If the Isles truly believe in Berube, and he can at least be a solid backup to Greiss, then they have to think about rolling the dice and trading Halak. They can opt to see what they have in that combo, have Gibson as insurance in the AHL, and can even add a vet backup on an expring contract, if needed, down the line. It is a tough call. Glad I not have to make it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Nickushkin is having a solid season for CSKA. Surprisingly, our old pal Petrov is having his best season ever on the same team, leading the team in goals with 8 and second on the team with 15 points (1 point behind the leader). I wonder if Petrov has burned too many bridges to come back, he is in his prime at 26, maybe that ship has sailed. But Nickushkin + for Halak sounds like a great idea.

CSKA looks to have a very strong KHL team.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Don't disagree the 3 goalie thing sucks. Ever think the offers weren't there in the summer or the offers sucked?

This is why I think Garth made it public halak was available. He knew no one was going to make an offer. It was an underhanded way of saying FU to Walsh.

No easy fix for Garth in this situation. He has to give either Berube or Greiss up for basically nothing and Garth hates giving anything for free. Looks like he is digging his heels in on this issue. I don't expect anything to change. It's a brutal situation. 2 out of our 3 goalies are pissed and not on top form.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I could be wrong, but I believe Nuke signed a two-year deal in the KHL, right? So I assume most of the posters figure get his rights and see where we are in a couple years. Maybe he is cheap depth when some of the current Isles are getting more expensive. I am not a fan of Nuke but I can see the logic in that.

That said, I would rather keep the two best goalies now and just fix the situation, regardless of return. I only move Halak, if the Isles plan to add another big piece down the line and need the cap flexibility.

See what he thinks about coming in two years. If he does, great. If not, we still got the roster spot cleared if Halak gets traded.

It's not a bad idea.

I hadn't realized he went to the KHL. That makes a lot more sense then.

I'd rather not trade Halak, but if they were going to, that's probably the best they can hope for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad