Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I believe so. I can't remember a specific example, but I've definitely heard of a player refusing to report to the AHL and a team terminating the player's contract. Halak wouldn't do it though, he'd report.

Why are you so sure he'd report, just curious? Money?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Nothing

It's a case of Snow being smarter than the rest of the league

The sad thing is, Berube will be a UFA at the end of the season (Group VI).

So, you have a player that probably would have cleared waivers before the season, is taking up a roster spot that could be better used elsewhere, and is taking practice time away from your starting goalies.

And for that, the Isles will lose Berube at the end of the year anyway.

The only upside to holding onto Berube is if: (1) a goalie suffers a long-term injury; and (2) you think the Isles wouldn't be able to find another backup.

Otherwise, this is all downside. There's a reason no other team in the league is keeping 3 healthy goalies at the NHL level.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's not a bad idea either if he definitely wants to get rid of Halak. The probem with this particular scenario is that Halak is actually better than Pavelec, so having Halak in the minors is more beneficial to the team if it could be done.

Everyone is better than Pavelec.

The LA Kings, who should be desperate for goalies, decided not to go after Pavelec.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Garth needs to make a decision on this very soon, as we have a pretty good stable of young goaltenders in the system, with Sorokin possibly being our star of the future, although there's no guarantee he actually comes to New York. I would rather go with Griese and Berube right now and try to get something for Halak, but clearing up the salary space is the most important aspect of all and if no team is willing to do that, then either we need to include pieces to make a bigger trade or we trade Halak straight up for another teams forward, who is not having a good year, but is making Halak type money, so it would be a trade to maybe help both teams needs, as a change of scenery can sometimes be beneficial to a lot of struggling players. The salary cap makes it a lot more difficult to trade these days, which is why we need to think of different scenario's, but I do believe us carrying 3 goalies is hurting this team in different ways, so we sit and wait to see if anything good comes of this. :popcorn:

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The sad thing is, Berube will be a UFA at the end of the season (Group VI).

So, you have a player that probably would have cleared waivers before the season, is taking up a roster spot that could be better used elsewhere, and is taking practice time away from your starting goalies.

And for that, the Isles will lose Berube at the end of the year anyway.

The only upside to holding onto Berube is if: (1) a goalie suffers a long-term injury; and (2) you think the Isles wouldn't be able to find another backup.

Otherwise, this is all downside. There's a reason no other team in the league is keeping 3 healthy goalies at the NHL level.

Berube is RFA not UFA - Link

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Berube is RFA not UFA - Link

Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:

80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen.
28 NHL games played for goaltenders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

So it appears Berube would be a free agent.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This whole thing sucks and now it's becoming an issue publicly. Let's hope it doesn't become a distraction.

I will say this, if I were Halak I'd be pissed too. If I was any of the 3 goalies I'd be pissed.

Greiss is the only one that seems content. He signed up as a back up and he's been pretty much a 1a/1b starter.

Berube should be proving himself at this point of his career and he isn't getting the chance too. Goalies more
So than other positions need to play to be better IMO.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Don't really care what Snow does, rather it looks like Halak seems to be an issue at some point during his tenure with other organizations and he's now the Isles problem.

you been beaking 10 pages but have yet to mention walsh is also Berube's agent. THis situation isn't solely affecting Halak..it affects Berube even more tbh.

Greiss is the backup who has tremendous value cause he can fill a starter role due to injury. Berube is in a situation where he cant play games or get sufficient practise and cause of his body of work has no trade value.

This is walsh pretty much trying to get Berube an opportunity somewhere..whether thts getting his client halak a trade or berube a new situation.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
This whole thing sucks and now it's becoming an issue publicly. Let's hope it doesn't become a distraction.

I will say this, if I were Halak I'd be pissed too. If I was any of the 3 goalies I'd be pissed.

Greiss is the only one that seems content. He signed up as a back up and he's been pretty much a 1a/1b starter.

Berube should be proving himself at this point of his career and he isn't getting the chance too. Goalies more
So than other positions need to play to be better IMO.

that's the thing id say berube would be more upset than anybody here. Halak got his money in this league..berube is 24 and is in a spot where he cant even play games.

Walsh is trying to help both clients but I see Berube as the one hes fighting for.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Plays or dresses? Could be why they keep dressing him as a back-up and scratching whoever is not starting out of Halak/Greiss.

Plays. At least 30 minutes in each, 28 in total. Actually, looking at those 7 he has already played in, I see one of them doesn't count (29:40 vs Detroit). So 22 games.

Last edited:

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Plays. At least 30 minutes in each, 28 in total. Actually, looking at those 7 he has already played in, I see one of them doesn't count (29:40 vs Detroit). So 22 games.

Well, unless someone gets hurt or they move Halak, there's no way he's hitting that mark.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
you been beaking 10 pages but have yet to mention walsh is also Berube's agent. THis situation isn't solely affecting Halak..it affects Berube even more tbh.

Greiss is the backup who has tremendous value cause he can fill a starter role due to injury. Berube is in a situation where he cant play games or get sufficient practise and cause of his body of work has no trade value.

This is walsh pretty much trying to get Berube an opportunity somewhere..whether thts getting his client halak a trade or berube a new situation.

Well aware of that and already mentioned the interests at stake, i.e. Earnings potential.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
one team has to be Arizona, they have the assets to acquire Halak.

Winnipeg running two young goalies is risky at the moment.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
one team has to be Arizona, they have the assets to acquire Halak.

Winnipeg running two young goalies is risky at the moment.

AZ can use Halak and then expose him to Vegas.

WPG - as noted, their G is not very good.

ANA - Bernier is not a solution to backup Gibson - debatable whether Gibson is the answer too, however, Halak gives them a vet while in 'win now mode' [albeit, I think ANA trades Perry in 2017 to NYI]

EDM - Monster is cheap, but Talbot over a full season w/condensed schedule? Would be wise for Halak to offset Talbot and provide protection against injury. With all the good vibes in EDM, smart move re 'we mean business in being competitve'

PS - remember, McPhee was the goalie that acquired Halak in WAS. His successor traded him to NYI that summer after WAS did not make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad