Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
at this point, it is plainly obvious that halak will be traded....snow will look like the buffoon he is if berube is simply waived at this point, so due to his ego, i fully expect jaro to be traded within the next week or two

what the isles have to do, is combine a top prospect with halak to go after a legitimate 1st line winger for JT

i hope i dont get killed for this, but i would be open to trading pulock and jaro for a legitimate young scoring winger, retained for at least a few years

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
at this point, it is plainly obvious that halak will be traded....snow will look like the buffoon he is if berube is simply waived at this point, so due to his ego, i fully expect jaro to be traded within the next week or two

what the isles have to do, is combine a top prospect with halak to go after a legitimate 1st line winger for JT

i hope i dont get killed for this, but i would be open to trading pulock and jaro for a legitimate young scoring winger, retained for at least a few years

I mean, of course it depends on who it is, but I don't want to trade Pulock.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I know it might be extreme, but if the isles want to get rid of Halak and they can't trade him (because most teams don't want him), why they don't waived him? The Jets did the same to Pavelec.
And if the Isles truely believe Berube is that good, he needs to play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know it might be extreme, but if the isles want to get rid of Halak and they can't trade him (because most teams don't want him), why they don't waived him? The Jets did the same to Pavelec.

It's not a bad idea if Snow is dead set on getting rid of Halak. If he's claimed, the team gains 4.5 million in cap space and gets rid of the 3 goalie situation. If he's not, he goes to Bridgeport and can be called up if Berube or Greiss struggle. The thing with that move though is that Halak could refuse to report, which would then make the whole situation a lot worse.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
It's not a bad idea if Snow is dead set on getting rid of Halak. If he's claimed, the team gains 4.5 million in cap space and gets rid of the 3 goalie situation. If he's not, he goes to Bridgeport and can be called up if Berube or Greiss struggle. The thing with that move though is that Halak could refuse to report, which would then make the whole situation a lot worse.

Actually, if he refuses to report that would make it better. His contract can be terminated if he doesn't report.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I don't think NYI wants to get rid of Halak, it's Walsh (Berube & Halak's agent) trying to pressure Snow to move a goaltender so both of his clients are happy.

Snow's email to all of the other GMs in the league basically proved that no one is currently interested in Halak and Snow will continue to run the three goalie system because he simply doesn't give a $%*# what Allan Walsh thinks.

The only this that has come out of this it that clearly NYI is very high on Berube, like extremely high.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Well the obvious problem is that Halak is the best goalie on the roster, and, Greiss's run last year aside, I don't think it's really close. And Greiss is the clear number two.

So why bother with Berube? Shrug.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think NYI wants to get rid of Halak, it's Walsh (Berube & Halak's agent) trying to pressure Snow to move a goaltender so both of his clients are happy.

Snow's email to all of the other GMs in the league basically proved that no one is currently interested in Halak and Snow will continue to run the three goalie system because he simply doesn't give a $%*# what Allan Walsh thinks.

The only this that has come out of this it that clearly NYI is very high on Berube, like extremely high.

So high on Berube that we won't even play him.

The whole situation is ridiculous.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh

Nailed it!...win, win, win (he has to report)...and win.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
r
Wouldn't be suprised if this happened in the next week or two.

I don't think anyone wants Halak, even adding Pulock. Halak isn't that valuable at that price-tag and I'm not sure what team would consider Halak a significant upgrade AND that wouldn't insist on sending a goalie back and/or a $4MM contract back.

There aren't many trades like this anymore, there just aren't. And that's why Pavelec is just waived, Halak is much closer to Pavelec than he is to (let's leave Price out of this) other top tier goalies.

Agree that Snow looks the fool but making a public statement like than, an emotional response to Allan Walsh's trolling tweet.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Well the obvious problem is that Halak is the best goalie on the roster, and, Greiss's run last year aside, I don't think it's really close. And Greiss is the clear number two.

So why bother with Berube? Shrug.

Well, the numbers (you know what everyone loves to show as proof of someone better) since he arrived on the Isles show that Greiss is better than Halak. Moreover, Greiss also has a playoff series victory under his belt with this team, which Halak has none.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Snow seems to be waiting out the G injury market or poor performers market. If the Isles really want to dump the contract, then WPG should wisen up and come to the table. Isles swap Halak and Pavelec - WPG takes on another year, yet a goalie they can expose in expansion and gives them a legit starter for this season as their current goaltending situation is not good enough. Isles get Pavelec for the sole purpose of losing a year on Halak's deal and send him to BST. Cut ties end of season. Salary/cap are equivalent.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Well, the numbers (you know what everyone loves to show as proof of someone better) since he arrived on the Isles show that Greiss is better than Halak. Moreover, Greiss also has a playoff series victory under his belt with this team, which Halak has none.

I agree. And when you throw in Halak's propensity for injury I don't even think it's that close.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
And how long was Snow stuck under Wang's unwillingness to spend money? He made good managerial moves by grabbing those cap casualties, while in a terrible situation. I don't think Snow walks on water or anything, but he's earned some leeway from me. Capuano is closer to the axe than Snow is for me, and Capuano is one misstep away.

I'd be very curious as to who we didn't move for whatever players, but I'm sure you could say that about a lot of GM's honestly.

In Casual conversation with an ex-team exec north of border who is doing some consulting for the Isles and was told that Snow is not going anywhere.
He got Wang to agree that if hes offering Dipietro a contract for 15 years, he wanted and got the same

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
In Casual conversation with an ex-team exec north of border who is doing some consulting for the Isles and was told that Snow is not going anywhere.
He got Wang to agree that if hes offering Dipietro a contract for 15 years, he wanted and got the same

Um, what?

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
This is why I think Garth made it public halak was available. He knew no one was going to make an offer. It was an underhanded way of saying FU to Walsh.

No easy fix for Garth in this situation. He has to give either Berube or Greiss up for basically nothing and Garth hates giving anything for free. Looks like he is digging his heels in on this issue. I don't expect anything to change. It's a brutal situation. 2 out of our 3 goalies are pissed and not on top form.

Send Halak to AHL, if claimed , his salary is off the books, and allows for us to
pursue a D like Trouba , if not he plays more in
AHL which would really send a message to Agent.

Not sure how it works if he clears but then we need him later due to injury.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Send Halak to AHL, if claimed , his salary is off the books, and allows for us to
pursue a D like Trouba , if not he plays more in
AHL which would really send a message to Agent.

Not sure how it works if he clears but then we need him later due to injury.

Why do we need Trouba when defense is our biggest strength? We need a RW.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Why are we so high on Berube anyway? What has he done?

Same could have been said for Carey Price , Drafted #5 but Halak was the key to their playoff off success where Price looked like garbage but was young and had potential

We all know how that worked out now, keeping Price was the right call and sending Halak to St.louis. They may see the same potential in Berube
that others dont

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
if Snow is serious he should either make Halak a healthy scratch or else continue rolling Greiss as the starter from now on. Halak sitting in the press box won't lessen his value considering his experience and will mean Snow is working on a deal.

It's early in the season as well, Snow should test out Berube in a game or two while Halak is still an Islander. I believe Berube will be a decent backup for Greiss. His style is nice in net. Greiss - Berube tandem still decent.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Actually, if he refuses to report that would make it better. His contract can be terminated if he doesn't report.

It can be terminated? I would've thought he'd be suspended instead.

Snow seems to be waiting out the G injury market or poor performers market. If the Isles really want to dump the contract, then WPG should wisen up and come to the table. Isles swap Halak and Pavelec - WPG takes on another year, yet a goalie they can expose in expansion and gives them a legit starter for this season as their current goaltending situation is not good enough. Isles get Pavelec for the sole purpose of losing a year on Halak's deal and send him to BST. Cut ties end of season. Salary/cap are equivalent.

That's not a bad idea either if he definitely wants to get rid of Halak. The probem with this particular scenario is that Halak is actually better than Pavelec, so having Halak in the minors is more beneficial to the team if it could be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad