Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The way Arizona has handled this situation is on the verge of circus level. Been literally over a year since theres been talk about trading him. And now he's been scratched for like 2 weeks straight? Arizona must be holding out for the moon, and once he finally gets dealt, I'm sure people will have the reaction of "that's it? All this just for that?"

These two words are often used in the same sentence. :laugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It's much easier being a Coyotes fan today compared to any point in recent memory. Stable ownership, management with expertise and a plan, young talent on the ice. They're taking the long view but the positive results are already starting to show. The team has been fun to watch most nights this season.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's much easier being a Coyotes fan today compared to any point in recent memory. Stable ownership, management with expertise and a plan, young talent on the ice. They're taking the long view but the positive results are already starting to show. The team has been fun to watch most nights this season.
True

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I really enjoyed watching the Coyotes playoff run a few years back with Mike Smith in net.

What is happening with the franchise currently is sad. I can't imagine being a Coyotes fan and how frustrating this must be. Like being a Pirates fan in baseball. Owners getting rich, and fans suffering knowing the teams will never be successful with the current ownership.
I don't think you'll find any Coyotes fans here upset with the current situation. For the first time ever, we have a GM with an actual plan to rebuild. The rebuild is underway and we're excited. It's been a long time since we've had a prospect pool like this.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Coyotes getting ready for Matthews. They only have about 18 months to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Didn’t Salic take forever to trade Duchene, but it finally worked out well for CO? Or was it ROR?

Anyway, it’s possible that Armstrong will get what he wants, eventually, but in the meantime it’s a shitshow, and stinks up the franchise. Chychrun would’ve been moved a long time ago if his demands were reasonable.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Didn’t Salic take forever to trade Duchene, but it finally worked out well for CO? Or was it ROR?

Anyway, it’s possible that Armstrong will get what he wants, eventually, but in the meantime it’s a shitshow, and stinks up the franchise. Chychrun would’ve been moved a long time ago if his demands were reasonable.

ROR return was him and another player grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, 2nd( 1st today with pick at 31)

Duchene was a 3 team and more complicated.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I don't think you'll find any Coyotes fans here upset with the current situation. For the first time ever, we have a GM with an actual plan to rebuild. The rebuild is underway and we're excited. It's been a long time since we've had a prospect pool like this.

That's great to hear then. I haven't paid close enough attention, so glad it isn't a total dumpster fire. I feel like the peripherals are bad and someone like myself who hasn't looked into it enough assumed things were still a mess.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I really enjoyed watching the Coyotes playoff run a few years back with Mike Smith in net.

What is happening with the franchise currently is sad. I can't imagine being a Coyotes fan and how frustrating this must be. Like being a Pirates fan in baseball. Owners getting rich, and fans suffering knowing the teams will never be successful with the current ownership.

Honestly none of us care. After years of Tocchet, we finally have a coach who's good tactically / can communicate, our AHL-level roster is playing hard enough that we're consistently winning games we shouldn't. In a few years we'll finally have a centrally located, new arena (has not been finalized but imo is probable) which should solve all our historical attendance problems. Phx is either the 5th or 6th largest metro in the US, we've been able to support top level NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS, PGA, whatever sports you can think of, this is a big but spread out city but the rink in Glendale was too far away. And finally a new GM has a sensible plan and is executing on it. After about 4-5 years or so, even if we don't become elite, we'll be closer to the top of the league than the bottom, and we'll likely be staying there for a few years at least. That has literally never happened to this franchise before unless you want to count the pre-merger years when the team was still in the WHL in Winnipeg.

So no, it's not frustrating at all to be a Yotes fan, at least for most of us. For me, it's kind of entertaining to see 73 pages (73 pages!) of discussion about the healthy scratching of a player who before last year non-Yotes fans continuously argued was a severely overrated, injury prone D. Now that they finally realize Chychrun is a superstar, the League or PA should step in to make him play... "think of the fans!!" Nevermind some of these exact same posters are the ones who tried to clown on AZ for our 5,000 arena and have been calling this franchise an embarrassment for years, in no small part because according to them the team has no fans or at the very least doesn't have an on-ice product worth watching.

So no, please don't make the mistake of thinking any of us listen to or are influenced by the opinions of these haters, who make up at least a sizeable minority in any Yotes-related main board thread. We honestly don't care.

Put another way, it's not frustrating at all, not even close. To me, I find all of it kinda funny

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
The way Arizona has handled this situation is on the verge of circus level. Been literally over a year since theres been talk about trading him. And now he's been scratched for like 2 weeks straight? Arizona must be holding out for the moon, and once he finally gets dealt, I'm sure people will have the reaction of "that's it? All this just for that?"
Of course. The risk is too high. And trust me I want him on my favourite team all day. But my fav team is trying to win a cup. All the cup contenders want him. Because they don’t need him. If he gets hurt they do not care. But they don’t have a plethora of stuff to give up to get him. They also won’t be giving up any key pieces. That leaves the few picks these teams have and probably second tier prospects. Maybe a desperate team breaks the bank but who knows. We all know the concerns. He is elite talent though. Teams that just need him for depth would take the risk.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Huh?

"What is happening to this franchise" is a new leadership group fixing the problems of the past.

This franchise was ran L E A N under huge budget restraints and operated at a severe disadvantage to the rest of the league under the old regime. ALex Meruelo has allowed Armstrong to fully staff the front office and fully staff a legit scouting department. He brought in tons of hockey knowledge we didn't have before and now operate like a real NHL front office.

Is that sad?

We're in the process of getting a new arena with other revenue sources (Entertainment District) that will also help the owner fund the Coyotes. Which we didn't have before.

Is that sad?

There are even more reasons for us Coyote fans to be excited about the future, but I won't bother.

Quit blaming the current ownership group for the sins of the past groups. This is all great stuff for us. That playoff run a few years back was a fluke. It had nothing to do with the franchise being healthier back then. This team, for the first time in over 20 years, is going in the right direction. Everyone just hates us so much they overlook anything positive the current ownership and leadership groups have done, and they dwell on the past.

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Honestly none of us care. After years of Tocchet, we finally have a coach who's good tactically / can communicate, our AHL-level roster is playing hard enough that we're consistently winning games we shouldn't. In a few years we'll finally have a centrally located, new arena (has not been finalized but imo is probable), that should literally solve all our historical attendance problems. Phx is either the 5th or 6th largest metro in the US, we've been able to support NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS, PGA, whatever sports you can think of, this is a big but spread out city and the rink in Glendale was too far away. And finally a new GM has a sensible plan and is executing on it. After about 4-5 years or so, even if we don't become elite, we'll be closer to the top of the league than the bottom, and we'll likely be staying there for a few years at least. That has literally never happened to this franchise before unless you want to count the pre-merger years when the team was still in the WHL.

So no, it's not frustrating at all to be a Yotes fan, at least for most of us. For me, it's kind of entertaining to see 73 pages (73 pages!) of discussion about the healthy scratching of a player who before last year non-Yotes fans continuously argued was a severely overrated, injury prone D. Now that they finally realize Chychrun is a superstar, the League or PA should step in to make him play... "think of the fans!!" Nevermind some of these exact same posters are the ones who tried to clown on AZ for our 5,000 arena and have been looking down at this franchise for years because according to them the team has no fans.

So no, please don't make the mistake of thinking any of us listen to or are influenced by the opinions of these haters, who make up at least a sizeable minority in any Yotes-related main board thread. We honestly don't care.

It's not frustrating at all, not even close. To me, I find all of this kinda funny

Honestly great to hear this. The Coyotes sort of became my western team for a while, and I still like them. I was a huge Smith and Bryz fan and liked rooting for an underdog team playing in a place so many from Canada and elsewhere tried to argue did not deserve a team.

I actually currently own 3 Coyotes jerseys.

I'm glad I posted to get some insight from some fans. A college buddy of mine lives outisde of Phoenix and am planning on headed out there sooner than later and definitely going to a game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ROR return was him and another player grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, 2nd( 1st today with pick at 31)

Duchene was a 3 team and more complicated.
My point was that I thought it took a long time for Sakic to move one of them, just like Armstrong, yet eventually got a good deal.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With the teams that Garrioch listed today, the Capitals, Kings or Canes would be the best for a good return for Arizona right?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
100%

With the teams that Garrioch listed today, the Capitals, Kings or Canes would be the best for a good return for Arizona right?
Seems like out of all the contending teams in the East, Carolina is the one yet to make a big splash.

Reactions: Summer Rose

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
100%

Seems like out of all the contending teams in the East, Carolina is the one yet to make a big splash.

That's what I'm thinking too, wouldn't be surprised if they do a Chychurun + Boeser combo to respond to NJD and NYR

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
To me, the Kings have the best mix of picks + prospects of all the interested teams. Only downside is the West is a crapshoot and a 2023 1st could be in the 29-32 range.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Huh?

"What is happening to this franchise" is a new leadership group fixing the problems of the past.

This franchise was ran L E A N under huge budget restraints and operated at a severe disadvantage to the rest of the league under the old regime. ALex Meruelo has allowed Armstrong to fully staff the front office and fully staff a legit scouting department. He brought in tons of hockey knowledge we didn't have before and now operate like a real NHL front office.

Is that sad?

We're in the process of getting a new arena with other revenue sources (Entertainment District) that will also help the owner fund the Coyotes. Which we didn't have before.

Is that sad?

There are even more reasons for us Coyote fans to be excited about the future, but I won't bother.

Quit blaming the current ownership group for the sins of the past groups. This is all great stuff for us. That playoff run a few years back was a fluke. It had nothing to do with the franchise being healthier back then. This team, for the first time in over 20 years, is going in the right direction. Everyone just hates us so much they overlook anything positive the current ownership and leadership groups have done, and they dwell on the past.

Easy, I didn't know ownership had changed. As an Islanders fan who lives in Florida, following the intricacies of the Arizona Coyotes is not at the top of my list. I was aware of a reputation of prior ownership, but as I've stated above, as a casual fan when they were in the playoffs a while back, I am happy things are going better.

Don't hate the team nor have I knocked the arena or fans. I found super annoying that other fans always started the threads saying how the area doesn't deserve a team, Canada needs another, etc. Always so stupid for people to reach because apparently Canada "deserves" to have another team.

As someone from up north who moved into a non-traditional hockey area, and I currently play, I love having a pro hockey team in places that aren't the norm. It's a way to create new generations of fans of the sport, and that's a beautiful thing.

Didn't mean to go this far off topic, but to bring it to a close I hope a trade happens that benefits the future of the team and works towards their rebuild.

BAdvocate

This sucks!
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Does Chychrun still practice with the team, or is he literally just sitting at home eating ice cream and playing video games?

I’m also eating raw liver, raw beef heart

I mean, everything else aside, this is very clearly not true.

Chychrun was a healthy scratch Feb. 11 because the Coyotes thought they were in the final stages of finalizing the details of a trade, Armstrong said. He hasn't played since.
"One of the reasons we held him out so soon was he played a ton of minutes in his last game (at Chicago)," Armstrong said. "After that, we thought we were so close to a deal that we just had to make a decision. It turned out we were not, and then one day led to the next day and here we are today."

For the record... I'm not expecting anyone with their own opinion expressed as a fact to read or change their non-fact based opinion.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
if a team other than the Sick Man Of The NHL was doing this, it would be a very different story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad