Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The NHL has the same authority to get involved as the NHLPA: none.

Dear Lord, it's like people think this is the NBA in the late days of David Stern's attempted dictatorship and the commish can tell teams when to play players, how to act, etc.
It's actually worrisome that so many are throwing tantrums and actually believe other entities can come on and give them what they want lol. I mean, for real, it's concerning they even dream this is reality lol

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Does Chychrun still practice with the team, or is he literally just sitting at home eating ice cream and playing video games?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
What dragged it along all summer and this season?
Surgery. And recovery from surgery. He didn’t play the first couple months. Then GMs and scouts wanted to see him healthy and dominant. Now we’re approaching the deadline so they held him out. Because obviously that’s what anyone would do.

Does Chychrun still practice with the team, or is he literally just sitting at home eating ice cream and playing video games?
He’s practicing with the team and participating in team events.

Reactions: Kaizen

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There is another discussion to be had here given what is going on. What is to stop a team, that wants to tank for a good pick, from signing a player for 8 million dollars to get to the cap floor, and then sitting him literally all season? In theory a team could ice an AHL roster with a couple high end players and just bench them all season. I know this already partially happens with LTIR players but that is a little different since they can't play as opposed to being ready and able.

I know people are saying the NHL/NHLPA can do nothing here, but it is just a smaller version of the scenario I gave above. If that were to happen do people really think the NHL and NHLPA would not step in? What is the point in the cap floor if you can just bench all your good players for the entire season?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There is another discussion to be had here given what is going on. What is to stop a team, that wants to tank for a good pick, from signing a player for 8 million dollars to get to the cap floor, and then sitting him literally all season? In theory a team could ice an AHL roster with a couple high end players and just bench them all season.

I know people are saying the NHL/NHLPA can do nothing here, but it is just a smaller version of the scenario I gave above. If that were to happen do people really think the NHL and NHLPA would not step in? What is the point in the cap floor if you can just bench all your good players for the entire season?
How is this any different than what Arizona has done with Weber, Ladd and Little?

Their current line up is at a cap hit of ~52m, well below the cap floor.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
How is this any different than what Arizona has done with Weber, Ladd and Little?

Their current line up is at a cap hit of ~52m, well below the cap floor.
Apologies, I edited but after you had quoted. It is different because those players can't play and you aren't ruining their careers by benching them. If you benched a willing and capable player for an entire year you would be doing damage to his career.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Why is a GM allowing a player, let alone one that wants to leave, to block a trade when they dont have a NTC/NMC? Sounds like amateur hour all around.

What's wrong with a GM finding a landing spot that a player will be happy with? Other players will see this and know the Coyotes have a GM they can work on the level with.

No.... amateur hour is HFBoards.

If you even bothered to watch Chychrun play up to the point he got held out you would have noticed he certainly wasn't playing like he wanted to leave.

He's being held out because they've been very close to cutting a deal. It was a mutual agreement between Bill Armstrong, Chychrun and his agent.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The key is that chychrun and his camp want him to sit, this really isn’t that hard. People are just making a fuss because it’s the coyotes and people like to be up in arms about them, like it personally affects them somehow
I’m ok with Chychrun’s situation. But boy am I furious about Kane and Gavrikov. I can’t eat. I can’t sleep. I have screaming fits and I have sobbing fits.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is another discussion to be had here given what is going on. What is to stop a team, that wants to tank for a good pick, from signing a player for 8 million dollars to get to the cap floor, and then sitting him literally all season? In theory a team could ice an AHL roster with a couple high end players and just bench them all season. I know this already partially happens with LTIR players but that is a little different since they can't play as opposed to being ready and able.

Stunned that you are ignoring the giant elephant in the room in your scenario, namely, the fans, players, sponsors, and ultimately, the owner.

1- fans do not like losing. sustained, nvm planned losing will cause them not to renew ST, or come to the game all. Also will affect concessions and sweater sales. We are talking millions, here.

2- players have short careers, and do not want to spend even one of them playing for a team that has decided to tank from the getgo.

3- sponsors are not interested in being associated with a losing team, nvm a team that is intentionally losing. Again, millions lost.

4- owners don’t own teams so they can lose both games, and money. Being the owner of a sad sack team is not something that they aspire to. They want trophy wives, trophy yachts, and…trophies.

5- tanking often doesn’t work. See, Buffalo, EDM, ARI, etc. Either the lottery draw system works against them and doesn’t have them pick first, or the high pick player turns out to be, if not a dud, then a good, but not great player. Certainly not a franchise changing player.

6- look at what Boston is doing, w/o tanking. Foster a winning atmosphere, and good things happen.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maybe I can borrow yours since you appear to have one. You just said definitively he was being held out because a deal was very close.

The team literally announced he was held out because of "trade considerations".

Chychrun does have an injury history, and in his last game he put up 30 minutes.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
He likes tossing cheetos in the air and then trying to catch them in his mouth. I’ll admit that can be fun.
Wow, that’s true dedication.

He could cop out and use Bass Pro Shop’ cheese balls, but he’s willing to put in the extra work to make it happen with Cheetos.

That’s true work ethic.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Stunned that you are ignoring the giant elephant in the room in your scenario, namely, the fans, players, sponsors, and ultimately, the owner.

1- fans do not like losing. sustained, nvm planned losing will cause them not to renew ST, or come to the game all. Also will affect concessions and sweater sales. We are talking millions, here.

2- players have short careers, and do not want to spend even one of them playing for a team that has decided to tank from the getgo.

3- sponsors are not interested in being associated with a losing team, nvm a team that is intentionally losing. Again, millions lost.

4- owners don’t own teams so they can lose both games, and money. Being the owner of a sad sack team is not something that they aspire to. They want trophy wives, trophy yachts, and…trophies.

5- tanking often doesn’t work. See, Buffalo, EDM, ARI, etc. Either the lottery draw system works against them and doesn’t have them pick first, or the high pick player turns out to be, if not a dud, then a good, but not great player. Certainly not a franchise changing player.

6- look at what Boston is doing, w/o tanking. Foster a winning atmosphere, and good things happen.
Well said, with excellent examples on both ends of the spectrum. My hats off to you good sir.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What's wrong with a GM finding a landing spot that a player will be happy with? Other players will see this and know the Coyotes have a GM they can work on the level with.

No.... amateur hour is HFBoards.

If you even bothered to watch Chychrun play up to the point he got held out you would have noticed he certainly wasn't playing like he wanted to leave.

He's being held out because they've been very close to cutting a deal. It was a mutual agreement between Bill Armstrong, Chychrun and his agent.
Very close to cutting a deal . Lol.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The team literally announced he was held out because of "trade considerations".

Chychrun does have an injury history, and in his last game he put up 30 minutes.
Yea almost three weeks ago. This is "very soon" by your definition? Maybe you can give me BA's definition of "very soon" since you got that from him on your phone tap that you said I needed to make any kind of determination here.

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I really enjoyed watching the Coyotes playoff run a few years back with Mike Smith in net.

What is happening with the franchise currently is sad. I can't imagine being a Coyotes fan and how frustrating this must be. Like being a Pirates fan in baseball. Owners getting rich, and fans suffering knowing the teams will never be successful with the current ownership.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I really enjoyed watching the Coyotes playoff run a few years back with Mike Smith in net.

What is happening with the franchise currently is sad. I can't imagine being a Coyotes fan and how frustrating this must be. Like being a Pirates fan in baseball. Owners getting rich, and fans suffering knowing the teams will never be successful with the current ownership.
That was 11 years ago lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad