Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The way Arizona has handled this situation is on the verge of circus level. Been literally over a year since theres been talk about trading him. And now he's been scratched for like 2 weeks straight? Arizona must be holding out for the moon, and once he finally gets dealt, I'm sure people will have the reaction of "that's it? All this just for that?"
The reason it’s dragged is because he got hurt prior to the last deadline.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There was a point Sunday evening I thought we'd get a Chychurun trade before we saw a Meier return, lol. I don't fault Arizona with this but wonder at what point Chycurun's agent steps in to tell to move this along.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The NHLPA has 0 authority to force Arizona to play Chychrun. The club controls their roster, not the NHLPA, I'm still amazed at how many fans think other wise.
True, they mentioned the wrong entity. However the NHL should step in.

For example imagine having tickets to tonight’s Coyotes/Blackhawks game. Two of the top players have been held out for over a month combined because their respective teams might trade them. That’s a bad look on the product.

Reactions: Fatass

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
There was a point Sunday evening I thought we'd get a Chychurun trade before we saw a Meier return, lol. I don't fault Arizona with this but wonder at what point Chycurun's agent steps in to tell to move this along.
Move along how?

Is Chychrun's agent going to force Arizona's GM to make a trade? Is he going to force Arizona's coach to put him in the lineup?

News flash everybody: players are healthy scratched every game. Derek Stepan's agent can't "step in and tell Don Waddell to put him in next game or trade him".

Martin Kaut asked for a trade for three straight seasons. He was repeatedly healthy scratched. He, like Chychrun, can't "move along" anything because that is just business as usual.

For example imagine having tickets to tonight’s Coyotes/Blackhawks game. Two of the top players have been held out for over a month combined because they might trade them. That’s a bad look on the product.
As if the fans whining here care about Arizona or Chicago's on ice product. The Bedard thirsting is transparent and petty.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Move along how?

Is Chychrun's agent going to force Arizona's GM to make a trade? Is he going to force Arizona's coach to put him in the lineup?

News flash everybody: players are healthy scratched every game. Derek Stephan's agent can't "step in and tell Don Waddell to put him in next game or trade him".

Martin Kaut asked for a trade for three straight seasons. He was repeatedly healthy scratched. He, like Chychrun, can't "move along" anything because that is just business as usual.

As if the fans whining here care about Arizona or Chicago's on ice product. The Bedard thirsting is transparent and petty.

All due respect to those guys, you can't just compare them to a top 4D good dman. At some point, Chycurun is going to want to play hockey. The Coyotes can let him rot but they're losing his value by just doing that, lol.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Well I can’t speak for everyone, but yeah I do. If I was a kid in Arizona who was a Kane fan (I mean he’s arguably the best US born player of all time) and bought tickets to this game to see him I’d be pissed.

Sure he could have been injured or traded by the time the game happened, but to be sitting in the press box awaiting a trade? That’s super frustrating. The held from the game ahead of a trade has happened before, but Chychrun’s (and to a lesser degree Kane’s) have been terribly executed.

Reactions: Jakey53

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
All due respect to those guys, you can't just compare them to a top 4D good dman. At some point, Chycurun is going to want to play hockey. The Coyotes can let him rot but they're losing his value by just doing that, lol.
With all due respect to this logic - the NHL does not have a separate CBA or rules for top-4 D. Chychrun's requirement to play is no different than any other player who gets healthy scratched for many games in a row.

Dec 15, 2002

For example imagine having tickets to tonight’s Coyotes/Blackhawks game. Two of the top players have been held out for over a month combined because their respective teams might trade them. That’s a bad look on the product.
The NHL has the same authority to get involved as the NHLPA: none.

Dear Lord, it's like people think this is the NBA in the late days of David Stern's attempted dictatorship and the commish can tell teams when to play players, how to act, etc.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I believe something is brewing. It might happen by the deadline, but if not, most likely during the offseason. Sources are telling me there are multiple teams in the mix. Don't be surprised if it happens in the next few days.
Bob? Is that you Bob?:)

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With all due respect to this logic - the NHL does not have a separate CBA or rules for top-4 D. Chychrun's requirement to play is no different than any other player who gets healthy scratched for many games in a row.

It has nothing to do with anything with the CBA lmao, you're comparing two guys with next to no trade value versus a guy who's just sitting and losing value by the day at home. Why wouldn't you want to capitalize on that as a rebuilding team? The agent comment was just Chycurun probably being confused why it's taking this long when he's asked a good 2-3 times to be traded out of Arizona.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What dragged it along all summer and this season?
In my opinion the Chychrun trade drags on because the Coyotes want a return that reflects a top pair guy and other teams see the player as a #3.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
It has nothing to do with anything with the CBA lmao, you're comparing two guys with next to no trade value versus a guy who's just sitting and losing value by the day at home. Why wouldn't you want to capitalize on that as a rebuilding team? The agent comment was just Chycurun probably being confused why it's taking this long when he's asked a good 2-3 times to be traded out of Arizona.
Chychrun isn't really losing value by the day. He is signed for 2 more years beyond this one.

His raw rental value in 2 years at the deadline will be a 1st + 2nd. If Armstrong can't get another good asset or two on top of that then he can just rent his own player until someone pays it. That will happen very soon. Washington would be my guess.

Personally I hope Carolina would pay up. Fighting fire with fire is going to be difficult in the Metro when NYR adds Tarasenko and Kane and Carolina can only add Kevin Hayes. I would rather them solidify the defense and try to shut them down.

Reactions: Nowotny and Jakey53

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Well you can start at Chychrun nixing a deal that had him going to Columbus at the last draft (even though he had no NTC/NMC clauses in his contract.)

Then go from there.
Why is a GM allowing a player, let alone one that wants to leave, to block a trade when they dont have a NTC/NMC? Sounds like amateur hour all around.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Blake already said he's not moving the '23 pick because they moved last years 1st round pick already. It will be either '24 or '25. Byfield , Clarke and Valardi from what I understand are untouchable. Kaliyev maybe too but I'm not sure. Turcotte, Kupri, are former 1st round picks , and one guy they might want is Martin Chromiak. The guys a pure scorer and is going to be a real good pro. As for Walker, doesn't ARZ have to still make the floor? Subtracting 4.5 mil gets them below. Walker and another contract have to go back for any deal to work.
Weber is a Coyote.

I remember when Sakic was called a clown for Duchene trade-saga. It turned out to be alright
Duchene didn't sit for two weeks.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

The NHL cannot force the Coyotes to play Chychrun just because they feel it hurts the overall brand.
If the Coyotes organization is within both the NHL charter and NHLPA guidelines, which they are by the way, neither has a say in the decision to sit him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I mean, it doesn’t really matter how many times he asks them to trade him. He signed the contract.

I think there are some bad optics for the Coyotes, but this doesn’t need to go by Chychrun’s schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad