Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Intentionally losing flies in the face of the root of sports and competition in general.

Thinking intergrity and good competition are a crock of shit is the most baffling thing I've ever heard. But go ahead, keep rooting to lose. Don't be shocked when the team doesn't win the lottery, and when the shinest of new prospects doesn't raise an entire franchise from the ashes.
In a league that constantly trips over its own dick regarding safety, tanking is the least of my worries. There was no integrity to begin with here.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
In a league that constantly trips over its own dick regarding safety, tanking is the least of my worries. There was no integrity to begin with here.
I mean, I guess it's kind of hard to argue that. Not even simply with regards to safety.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Betting on games isn't a strategy required to win in a cap league. Acting like tanking is comparable is a complete non sequitur.

The fans won't show up if your team sucks whether you're tanking or not, trust me. As a Sharks fan I know. But at least if they get Bedard or some other young star, people might get interested again and show up.
Whether or not Chychrun plays in 6-7 games has very little bearing on whether the Yotes get Bedard.

Integrity of the game matters.

Go ask Bettman if "integrity of the game" is a crock.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Nobody said it needed to be in the top 5 of your worries.
So because a league has player safety issues, no other issues matter?

People have brains large enough to hate racism in hockey, for example, and yet still get furious when the goalie gives up a shit goal.

Reactions: sbb11260

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If Clarke was on the table, the trade would be done.
It isn't that simple or else Chychrun wouldn't still be waiting for a trade after being on the table for over a year.
Won't make LA a contender this year so no pressure on LA to do the deal now.
Fiala didn't make LA a contender. You don't need to be one or under pressure to make a significant move to improve your team.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It isn't that simple or else Chychrun wouldn't still be waiting for a trade after being on the table for over a year.

Fiala didn't make LA a contender. You don't need to be one or under pressure to make a significant move to improve your team.
It is that simple. If a Clarke level prospect gets offered from any team, AZ moves Chychrun immediately. We are still here because AZ not getting their asking price. Looks like King's have made an offer & "are comfortable with their defense."

Fiala didn't cost the insane ask of AZ. He improved the team at a reasonable price. First & decent prospect seems about right for Chychrun now that you mention it.

Everyone got all excited last trade deadline about Chychrun. Here we are a year later, same thing. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get traded before the deadline.

If Blake thought Chychrun put the team over the top, maybe he goes all in. King's have other holes to fill & aren't in a rush to over pay on Chychrun.

AZ running same plan they did with OEL, but that GM got canned.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If he doesn't get traded before TDL, should there be a rule change against tanking tactics such as this? Or should ARI be penalized outright?
It is not exactly a tanking move. What would the rule be?

And no Arizona should not be punished. They are not the first nor the only team to do this. They know Chychrun is being traded. There is a hiccup. The other party likely does not want Chychrun playing while things are finalized.

Reactions: Azrael89

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
It is not exactly a tanking move. What would the rule be?

And no Arizona should not be punished. They are not the first nor the only team to do this. They know Chychrun is being traded. There is a hiccup. The other party likely does not want Chychrun playing while things are finalized.
It's not a tanking move yet.

It could be difficult to write the rule as you can always keep players out for any kind of bs reason. But you have to acknowledge the fact that drafting 1st OA this season is franchise defining.

Simply don't allow teams to keep out players about to be traded? Sure it would backfire every once in a while but what's more important, convenience or integrity? And yes, I know it's not as black and white as that.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Whether or not Chychrun plays in 6-7 games has very little bearing on whether the Yotes get Bedard.

Bettman's gonna say whatever the sponsors want him to say. I'm sure he doesn't give a shit either, as long as the money's flowing in.

If it has little bearing then why bother? What integrity is it diminishing if it has little bearing?

Nobody said it needed to be in the top 5 of your worries.
So because a league has player safety issues, no other issues matter?

People have brains large enough to hate racism in hockey, for example, and yet still get furious when the goalie gives up a shit goal.
Racism actually matters to people in real life. A team not playing their best players for a few games literally has no impact on any of our lives ever.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I don’t think invoking the guy who publicly lies about the existence of tanking is going to yield the results you expect.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
If the guy is so fragile that the thought of actually putting him in a game would likely cause him to be injured again then he simply is not robust enough to trade for.

ezgif-4-6e0742d3af.jpg

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The way things are going for Arizona, they could win the draft lotto only to have Bedard pull a Lindros on draft day.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
How would the league make a rule against this? Teams scratch players every game. The rule would have to state that you can only scratch players who suck.
Case by case basis, sitting your best player for remainder of season while picking Connor Bedard and not trading the player after claiming to do so.

That would require some explanation. And it is something the league would not want as it puts a smear on the whole thing, integrity of competition, future face of nhl etc. If this issue is not resolved this time around, it will only get more blatantly abused in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad