Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well true people do demand transparency then get upset when it happens but this is about sportsmanship and integrity, just f***king trade him already it has become a circus and a joke.
AZ is 2-0-1 with Chychrun on sideline.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That doesn't change the optics and lack of sportsmanship of the situation but maybe the hockey gods believe in karma.
AZ apparently has a trade completed for Chychrun but they don’t yet have one for the cap dump.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Kings and Yotes fans know this but most probably don't, they play each other tomorrow.

Not super significant really but a nice coincidence given the recent rumors.
The game is tied late in the third. Vejmelka is having the game of his life, doing everything he can to prove he belongs in the Kings stable. Fiala rushes down the ice. Suddenly, out of the crowd, Chychrun appears. Fans think he’s there to lend support to his team. Out of nowhere, he turns around and smacks Vejmelka over the head with a steel chair. Fiala scores. Chychrun removes his shirt to reveal a Kings jersey underneath. Crowd goes crazy. Kings win.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The game is tied late in the third. Vejmelka is having the game of his life, doing everything he can to prove he belongs in the Kings stable. Fiala rushes down the ice. Suddenly, out of the crowd, Chychrun appears. Fans think he’s there to lend support to his team. Out of nowhere, he turns around and smacks Vejmelka over the head with a steel chair. Fiala scores. Chychrun removes his shirt to reveal a Kings jersey underneath. Crowd goes crazy. Kings win.
This is exactly what’s going to happen - but in 2030.

• Haha
Reactions: Nasti

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, but can you paint that?

Reactions: GhostofYotesFan47
Dec 15, 2002
I don’t understand why any non-AZ fans give a flying f if they sit him or not.
Because it messes with the integrity of the league and the spirit of good competition between hockey teams.

Also: here's 39 ideas I have to make the NHL better, 38 of which are intended to help my (high-revenue) team pend more money / have a shot at 1OA even while it's really good / other ideas that benefit high-revenue teams that comes at the expense of over half the rest of the league, which don't mess with the integrity of the league because it benefits my team.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

this guy f***s

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Because it messes with the integrity of the league and the spirit of good competition between hockey teams.

Also: here's 39 ideas I have to make the NHL better, 38 of which are intended to help my (high-revenue) team pend more money / have a shot at 1OA even while it's really good / other ideas that benefit high-revenue teams that comes at the expense of over half the rest of the league, which don't mess with the integrity of the league because it benefits my team.
Integrity and good competition is such a crock of shit. The point is to win, and tanking can (note: can) help teams win long-term.

There's literally no way to get rid of it because some teams will either:
1. have management that can't spend to the cap
2. have vets that will age past their timeline to compete
3. have bad contracts that affect their ability to build a competitive team

So far, every single thing the NHL has tried to do to discourage tanking has failed immensely, because tanking is a necessary strategy in any sports league with a draft, especially in one with a salary cap.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Integrity and good competition is such a crock of shit. The point is to win, and tanking can (note: can) help teams win long-term.

So far, every single thing the NHL has tried to do to discourage tanking has failed immensely, because tanking is a necessary strategy in any sports league with a draft, especially in one with a salary cap.
Make every team in the lottery have equal odds and teams won't tank. You can make it so teams that made the playoffs the past season or two don't get included in the lottery as well, and keep the rule where you can't win multiple lotteries in a row. Now there are no teams who have any desire to come in last place, while still giving an advantage to teams that have struggled for a long time (aka haven't made the playoffs)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Make every team in the lottery have equal odds and teams won't tank. You can make it so teams that made the playoffs the past season or two don't get included in the lottery as well, and keep the rule where you can't win multiple lotteries in a row. Now there are no teams who have any desire to come in last place, while still giving an advantage to teams that have struggled for a long time (aka haven't made the playoffs)
That's a contrived and complex to solve a problem that isn't a big deal at all. Also, you're opening the door for more inequity in the league because now a team like Boston or Carolina could win the #1OA and the teams that are legitimately bad (and not trying to be so) are going to get screwed.

Do you think that teams shouldn't ship off vets for futures at all? Do you think teams should be stuck with long-term contracts that don't do anything good for them? There are 32 teams in the league and at some point most of them are going to be bad; that's just a fact. Teams should at least be able to strategize moving forward; it's not about lacking integrity, it's about good management.

Tanking is a self-solving problem. If teams fail at it, they won't get good picks, or they'll waste those picks because they didn't have the management ability to build a team around them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you think Blake and Co would have offered a young Dman whom they’ve gone so far as to call him the most offensively gifted D prospect this team has probably ever drafted? Heck, they even said his offense is better than a young Doughty.

Truth is he was probably never offered but it was leaked to try and drive up the price. Not one credible source said this, the Kings are notorious for being tight lipped, just look at the Fiala trade
You think that Armstrong and company leaked blatant lies which could upset their best trading partner? Driving away the frontrunner doesn't sound like a good way to drive up the price. There's usually a kernel of truth to rumors. The kernel of truth in this one could be that Armstrong asked for Clarke, Blake said something like "For Clarke, we'd have to also get Vejmelka and 50% retention on Chychrun" and the two then went back and forth on such a hypothetical trade. That's not "offering" him, but it's also not taking him off of the table. Blake wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least see what his assets are worth. Every player has a price and no one is "untouchable." Long-time Kings fans understand that.

Also, I wouldn't say that the Kings are tight lipped. We often know which players they like, when they're involved in trade talks and, sometimes, even what they involve(d) (ex. Vilardi for Chychrun last year). Some trades (like Fiala) do come as a surprise, but every team has a few of those. Not every team is mentioned in rumors as much as LA and those can't all leak from elsewhere.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You think that Armstrong and company leaked blatant lies which could upset their best trading partner? Driving away the frontrunner doesn't sound like a good way to drive up the price. There's usually a kernel of truth to rumors. The kernel of truth in this one could be that Armstrong asked for Clarke, Blake said something like "For Clarke, we'd have to also get Vejmelka and 50% retention on Chychrun" and the two then went back and forth on such a hypothetical trade. That's not "offering" him, but it's also not taking him off of the table. Blake wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least see what his assets are worth. Every player has a price and no one is "untouchable." Long-time Kings fans understand that.

Also, I wouldn't say that the Kings are tight lipped. We often know which players they like, when they're involved in trade talks and, sometimes, even what they involve(d) (ex. Vilardi for Chychrun last year). Some trades (like Fiala) do come as a surprise, but every team has a few of those. Not every team is mentioned in rumors as much as LA and those can't all leak from elsewhere.
Disagree that LA is the number 1 trade target. AZ knows what they are offering & didn't bite last deadline or over the Summer. The pieces have likely shifted from the King's as some players like Vilardi became an NHL regular. Leaking something about Clarke to start a media storm & hopefully create a bidding war was all AZ.

If Clarke was on the table, the trade would be done.

Doubt Chychrun is LA bound unless AZ gives in. Won't make LA a contender this year so no pressure on LA to do the deal now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don’t understand why any non-AZ fans give a flying f if they sit him or not.
Why are Arizona fans so pissy.
They're not the only tanking team.

Columbus is sitting Gavrikov.

Sitting healthy players is just an example of the most extreme form of tanking.

But many teams are tanking.

Coaches and players generally don't go along with it (other than Chicago, where Patrick Kane looks like he's been committed to the tank since October).

But pretty soon, you're going to start to see players get "shut down" for injuries.

We see it every year.

It's tanking.

And I'm not making judgment for the most part - other than I think sitting a healthy player for more than a game or two is a really, really lousy way to treat your fanbase.

I'm just laughing at Bettman saying, with a straight face, there's no tanking.

But that's what sports/media/politics is today. Telling outright, bold lies and expecting everyone's just going to go along with it.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Why are Arizona fans so pissy.
They're not the only tanking team.

Columbus is sitting Gavrikov.

Sitting healthy players is just an example of the most extreme form of tanking.

But many teams are tanking.

Coaches and players generally don't go along with it (other than Chicago, where Patrick Kane looks like he's been committed to the tank since October).

But pretty soon, you're going to start to see players get "shut down" for injuries.

We see it every year.

It's tanking.

And I'm not making judgment for the most part - other than I think sitting a healthy player for more than a game or two is a really, really lousy way to treat your fanbase.

I'm just laughing at Bettman saying, with a straight face, there's no tanking.

But that's what sports/media/politics is today. Telling outright, bold lies and expecting everyone's just going to go along with it.
Idk, if I was a fan of a shit team (which I am), I wouldn't mind sitting a player out long-term at all. I understand that it's for good reason and in the short-term I want my team to get a better draft pick anyway.

We're not talking about real life or politics, we're talking about hockey here. The entire point of sports is to win, and if you're not trying everything you can to do that (whether short-term or long-term), then you will get passed by.

Reactions: Mr Positive

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Idk, if I was a fan of a shit team (which I am), I wouldn't mind sitting a player out long-term at all. I understand that it's for good reason and in the short-term I want my team to get a better draft pick anyway.

We're not talking about real life or politics, we're talking about hockey here. The entire point of sports is to win, and if you're not trying everything you can to do that (whether short-term or long-term), then you will get passed by.

Right. The game before the deadline. Maybe the weekend before the deadline.
We've seen that.
We're talking about 3 weeks out.
That's insanity.

You want fans to keep your billion $$ business afloat, the "it's only hockey here" argument doesn't help.

Lastly, if you think integrity of the game doesn't matter, start letting players and coaches bet on games.

Every goddamn thing about the Arizona Coyotes is an affront to being a sports fan.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
why do people think this is any good? If this were the rules before Pittsburgh wouldn't even have a team anymore the draft is meant to help the teams on the bottom for parity. All the lottery does is piss off the teams that fall just for being unlucky. The rule for not constantly getting the top pick after you just got one is fine though.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Right. The game before the deadline. Maybe the weekend before the deadline.
We've seen that.
We're talking about 3 weeks out.
That's insanity.

You want fans to keep your billion $$ business afloat, the "it's only hockey here" argument doesn't help.

Lastly, if you think integrity of the game doesn't matter, start letting players and coaches bet on games.

Every goddamn thing about the Arizona Coyotes is an affront to being a sports fan.
Betting on games isn't a strategy required to win in a cap league. Acting like tanking is comparable is a complete non sequitur.

The fans won't show up if your team sucks whether you're tanking or not, trust me. As a Sharks fan I know. But at least if they get Bedard or some other young star, people might get interested again and show up.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Intentionally losing flies in the face of the root of sports and competition in general.

Thinking intergrity and good competition are a crock of shit is the most baffling thing I've ever heard. But go ahead, keep rooting to lose. Don't be shocked when the team doesn't win the lottery, and when the shinest of new prospects doesn't raise an entire franchise from the ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad