Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The scratch is entirely reasonable. He likely would have been traded last deadline if he wasn't injured at the time. They've ensured that the same thing won't happen this year. The player is ok with it and the team is ok with it.

That also feels like a red flag.

If I was a GM in on the kid, I want a full health report before making an offer. He's a good player and all, but he doesn't help a team if he's made of glass.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20230216_203648_Twitter.jpg

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
The point is obvious.
There are teams that have decided to play low-quality lineups - while charging fans full price.
These teams are tanking.
AZ is 2W 1L since benching Chychrun. Not really helping their tank. Plus AZ played a good chunk of the season without Chychrun because of injury. Chychrun really only plays about 60 games a season now that you bring it up. If AZ really wanted to tank they'd scratch their goalie or play the 4th line 20 a night.

Reactions: ck26

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not sure that dilly dallying is the right description of what the Coyotes are doing. They set a price and will trade him if that price is met.

Chychrun and the Coyotes are both hoping it happens, but it might not happen.

At this point a trade has to happen.

This is a … show

... and then rise in the standings without said player! So what's your point or just trolling?

Gm’s/management are trying to tank.
Players are not

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
The point is obvious.
There are teams that have decided to play low-quality lineups - while charging fans full price.
These teams are tanking.
Winning or just being in the game isn't saying much for the other team. Increasing in the standings usually means you aren't tanking.

My apologies to Coyotes' fans. It must really suck knowing any good players you have are available to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat. Godspeed.
You mean like Keller, Crouse? Anyways Chychrun is still a Coyote and the belief that GMBA will not trade him until a deal is made to improve the Coyotes long term in a direction that he wants the team to go.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
This is becoming real bad, I mean it's a f***ing joke. Just trade the guy or play him, he is under contract for a couple more seasons!!!
This has been going on for a long time , I think the Coyotes should squeeze as much they can out of the team they are dealing with but at some point this is just not a good feel for the team and they have a lot of young players that their development is effected . Make deal, or pull him off the market and tell Chychrun you are on the team until your contract expires . This is has just got to the point of absurd........

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
everyone wants transparency until they get it.

Next time they should just say that he has dutch elm disease and they are concerned his limbs are going to fall off.

Well true people do demand transparency then get upset when it happens but this is about sportsmanship and integrity, just f***king trade him already it has become a circus and a joke.

Reactions: deaderhead28

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I wonder if Blake had Clarke on the table until Clarke heard about the leaks and asked him about it (perhaps through his agent). Blake then re-assured him that he wasn't going to trade him and took him off the table. That would make sense of why LA was the clear frontrunner until the news of Clarke not being traded broke and, all of a sudden, the rumors stopped and things seemed stalled between the two teams.
So you think Blake and Co would have offered a young Dman whom they’ve gone so far as to call him the most offensively gifted D prospect this team has probably ever drafted? Heck, they even said his offense is better than a young Doughty.

Truth is he was probably never offered but it was leaked to try and drive up the price. Not one credible source said this, the Kings are notorious for being tight lipped, just look at the Fiala trade

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Dunno why everyone jumps to NHLPA for things like. Their concerns are about making sure players are paid and if a player comes to them with a grievance. This doesn't appear to be an issue for them at all.

The NHL under Bettman and co. on the other hand, completely different story. It's the optics they won't like and something I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them crack down on in the future. In their eyes, teams benching star talents for long periods like this weakens the product such that more causal fans would be perhaps less likely to buy tickets or even watch the game on TV.

Don't know if the league has the power to unilaterally come up with a new rule on this but I wouldn't surprised if they brought it up in the next CBA negotiations.

But who runs the teams? The league? Or the coach and the general manager?

You can’t have the league mandating things like this, agency to decide who is on the ice is at the discretion of the team and should always stay that way.

Dec 15, 2002
But who runs the teams? The league? Or the coach and the general manager?

You can’t have the league mandating things like this, agency to decide who is on the ice is at the discretion of the team and should always stay that way.
Exactly. If the league wanted to put a halt to these kinds of things, it could at any time. Just like if it really wanted to stop the "problem of tanking" it could do that at any point in time. [No, I'm not talking about changing the draft odds for a 5th, 6th, 7th time to "disincentivize" being bad, which has really given more teams incentive because less terrible teams now have a better shot at 1OA from all the "fixes" to the "problem of tanking."]

The fact is, every team has the ability to operate in the manner it wishes, without interference from any of the other teams or the NHLPA or the agents or the fans or anyone else. If an owner wants to "burn it all to the ground" he can, and no one else can do anything about it. If an owner wants to perpetually run his team on a less-than-shoestring budget, he can and no one else can do anything about it. If an owner wants to perpetually spend to the cap and trade away picks and prospects trying to always "win now," he can and no one else can do anything about it - even if it means he eventually runs out of picks, prospects and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad