Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
How is this “unfair” to the player?

Chychrun wants to be traded. Nobody is going to trade for him by the deadline if he gets hurt.

Absolutely the franchise’s prerogative to tell said player:

“We understand you would like to be traded (even though you are under a long-term contract you agreed to) and are making the calls to get you a new team - but in the meantime we are going to sit you for a handful of games because you have a history of getting hurt and we’d like to dress the players who are committed to being here.”

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This is kind of interesting. I understand they probably don’t want him involved in full contact practice but to segregate him from the rest of the team seems unusual?
He was sitting with the other players in the scratches/injured box last night. And he was in the fun little social media Super Bowl videos with this teammates. Seems like he’s around the guys off-ice and everyone seems upbeat.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Even if true, it’s f***ed up both to the player and to the team.
Everything that’s coming out is that it’s mutually understood and agreed. Management, the player, the coaches and the teammates all seem understanding.

Keller even made a joke last night about his shootout winner against Tampa making his GM grouchy. And he was laughing and light hearted about it. The players that understand the strategy are the players they’ve kept. The team is playing hard. The vibes seem good.

I’ll say the teams under Tocchet that were trying to compete were much softer, lazier, and harder to watch. Their systems were a mess and they sulked. That was miserable. The tank years under Tourigny have actually been the most fun since the competitive Tippett years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Arizona simply is a complete joke for the NHL and the NHL has been part of the ongoing problem with Arizona for years simply because of that large television market.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Boston needs to go get Chychrun and pair him up with McAvoy for the next 10 years 🤤
I don't have the numbers but it's rare for a pair of defencemen on the same team to play together that long, even more-so if they're past their entry-level contract.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
This is actually something I agree with entirely. Chychrun fits the idea of the Kings needing a LD, but he's another offensive type and that's not something the Kings lack. I think that's the strongest argument against LA trading for Chychrun, they're better off using those kind of assets for a better fit if they're paying that much.

That's the argument I had with Chychrun with other Penguins fans, in that he's very redundant with also having Letang and Petry on the same team. But at this point, their defense is in such bad shape that I'd take any upgrade possible :laugh:

That's also why I like the idea of Chychrun in Edmonton on paper. Slide him onto the 2nd pair with Ceci and I think those two complement each other really well.
I would think Edmonton would be the best destination.
Their window is wide open and any help, regardless how big or little could be the tipping the scale.

The way how things go, it will be Oilers and Kings again 1st round which will be the regular freebie for the Oilers
and the rest of the division is AHL level.
This is their year

That was last deadline or in the Summer before the King's goalies imploded & Lizotte was the 3C when LD looked like the biggest need. Not so much now. I'd be taking those chychrun assets & asking the Blues & Nashville if they have a goalie for sale.
Portillo will be cheap to get and Copley signed for 1 more year.
There is no reason to spend assets on goalies

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm betting that young players/prospects on ELC's just went up a bunch on value.

Bally Sports defaulting on $140M interest only payment on a loan is going to make NHL worry about Cap.

Be interesting to see if this cools any of TDL activity.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm betting that young players/prospects on ELC's just went up a bunch on value.

Bally Sports defaulting on $140M interest only payment on a loan is going to make NHL worry about Cap.

Be interesting to see if this cools any of TDL activity.

My first question is the impacts to the 50/50 split this season and how much outstanding balance the NHLPA still owes the owners from Covid.

Then my 2nd question is how quick Bettman can get alternative TV deals signed with others for the 23/24 season. What are the impacts to a growing cap for 24/25? Not sure but there are impacts. I'm not going to bet against Bettman from growing revenue though.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
This is kind of interesting. I understand they probably don’t want him involved in full contact practice but to segregate him from the rest of the team seems unusual?
I hope that it's a setup where the team has 3/4ths of the rink and they've coned off one end with Chychrun there by himself :laugh:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Everything that’s coming out is that it’s mutually understood and agreed. Management, the player, the coaches and the teammates all seem understanding.

Keller even made a joke last night about his shootout winner against Tampa making his GM grouchy. And he was laughing and light hearted about it. The players that understand the strategy are the players they’ve kept. The team is playing hard. The vibes seem good.

I’ll say the teams under Tocchet that were trying to compete were much softer, lazier, and harder to watch. Their systems were a mess and they sulked. That was miserable. The tank years under Tourigny have actually been the most fun since the competitive Tippett years.
I mean every circumstance is… circumstantial. I’m complaining more about the concept. If my employer specifically sidelined me from my job for a long period of time, I’d be pissed. I mean it would be great to get paid to do nothing, sure, but if you like your job you want to contribute.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My first question is the impacts to the 50/50 split this season and how much outstanding balance the NHLPA still owes the owners from Covid.

Then my 2nd question is how quick Bettman can get alternative TV deals signed with others for the 23/24 season. What are the impacts to a growing cap for 24/25? Not sure but there are impacts. I'm not going to bet against Bettman from growing revenue though.

If Bally goes under and it causes issues with NHL revenue, I think they'll just continue the flat cap structure they've had for a couple more years.

I don't think there is a risk of the NHL salary cap going down. You'll just have a flat cap for many years until revenue starts going up.

Reactions: Nowotny

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Arizona simply is a complete joke for the NHL and the NHL has been part of the ongoing problem with Arizona for years simply because of that large television market.
So teams that lose to the Coyotes don't get the joke? Or some of the Coyotes aren't in on the joke? Or are you saying that making Chychrun available is funny? All because we have a large viewership?
It is funny that the Coyotes are doing well since Chychrun has become a healthy scratch and other fans are complaining he isn't playing. So a team makes a player a healthy scratch and does well is somewhat a disservice to the league? Or that a team shouldn't rebuild through the draft, or that this situation is unique to Arizona?

Reactions: Kaizen and ck26

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I mean every circumstance is… circumstantial. I’m complaining more about the concept. If my employer specifically sidelined me from my job for a long period of time, I’d be pissed. I mean it would be great to get paid to do nothing, sure, but if you like your job you want to contribute.
what if the employee asked the employer to do this especially because the last time they didn't do it he got hurt and wasn't able to get traded.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I think those are all legit questions. I confess I don't know enough about TV rights to know whether there are viable alternatives in the relative short term. Long term I'm guessing OK.

Unless the teams in question (12) had already been paid ( I doubt it, but don't know) they will have to accept pennies on the dollar. Can't help but impact the Cap if more than a third of the League's teams eat something on TV revenues.

This has to put a cool on teams eating salaries as part of TDL, signing big longterm contracts, etc.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I've heard of teams sitting a player for a day or two if a trade is imminent. I can't remember a time where they've sat a player this long for an impending trade.

He's missed what, 3 games now and hasn't played since last Friday?

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I would think Edmonton would be the best destination.
Their window is wide open and any help, regardless how big or little could be the tipping the scale.

The way how things go, it will be Oilers and Kings again 1st round which will be the regular freebie for the Oilers
and the rest of the division is AHL level.
This is their year

Portillo will be cheap to get and Copley signed for 1 more year.
There is no reason to spend assets on goalies
Portillo has been pretty weak this year, could still turn it around but lets not anoint him as the answer when he isnt even average on a stacked NCAA team. He was incredible last year so the step back is concerning, ala Jack Lafontaine who looked like a future Vezina winner his Jr. year then collapsed and never has got it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad