Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think those are all legit questions. I confess I don't know enough about TV rights to know whether there are viable alternatives in the relative short term. Long term I'm guessing OK.

Unless the teams in question (12) had already been paid ( I doubt it, but don't know) they will have to accept pennies on the dollar. Can't help but impact the Cap if more than a third of the League's teams eat something on TV revenues.

This has to put a cool on teams eating salaries as part of TDL, signing big longterm contracts, etc.

Or am I reading this wrong?

I think teams will still eat salaries to get the best returns. Owners will make exceptions if they get the returns they want.

But it might have issues with how the NHLPA outstanding balance is paid and what the cap is next year. We are scheduled for a $1M increase but how much loss revenue do they encounter? Difficult to know for sure as fans.

Reactions: Number8

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Dunno why everyone jumps to NHLPA for things like. Their concerns are about making sure players are paid and if a player comes to them with a grievance. This doesn't appear to be an issue for them at all.

The NHL under Bettman and co. on the other hand, completely different story. It's the optics they won't like and something I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them crack down on in the future. In their eyes, teams benching star talents for long periods like this weakens the product such that more causal fans would be perhaps less likely to buy tickets or even watch the game on TV.

Don't know if the league has the power to unilaterally come up with a new rule on this but I wouldn't surprised if they brought it up in the next CBA negotiations.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
All the reporting the last week has been AZ declined an offer of Vilardi and a 1st
Agreed - as per my original post, but the person that answered LA had refused to trade Vilardi last year was also right.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dunno why everyone jumps to NHLPA for things like. Their concerns are about making sure players are paid and if a player comes to them with a grievance. This doesn't appear to be an issue for them at all.

The NHL under Bettman and co. on the other hand, completely different story. It's the optics they won't like and something I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them crack down on in the future. In their eyes, teams benching star talents for long periods like this weakens the product such that more causal fans would be perhaps less likely to buy tickets or even watch the game on TV.

Don't know if the league has the power to unilaterally come up with a new rule on this but I wouldn't surprised if they brought it up in the next CBA negotiations.

I understand the complaints but I feel like it's a non-issue. it's just nomenclature. Just call him a 'healthy scratch' and no one can even say a word really. "coaches decision." that's it. Everyone knows better but still.

The only real reason for it is just AZ announcing loudly "hey we're about to trade this guy so give us your best and final offers."

Reactions: sbb11260

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I understand the complaints but I feel like it's a non-issue. it's just nomenclature. Just call him a 'healthy scratch' and no one can even say a word really. "coaches decision." that's it. Everyone knows better but still.

The only real reason for it is just AZ announcing loudly "hey we're about to trade this guy so give us your best and final offers."
everyone wants transparency until they get it.

Next time they should just say that he has dutch elm disease and they are concerned his limbs are going to fall off.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt

Good business, that.

I don't understand why anyone doesn't see the logic here. Nothing Chychrun does in the lineup over the next week and a half can help the Coyotes:
- His value is already high, it's not getting any higher short-term.
- He's healthy, playing won't make him heathier.
- If he's dominant and scores goals, that helps win games and hurts chances at Bedard / Fantilli.
- If he's in the lineup, it takes minutes away from young defensemen like Moser and Soderstrom (who have a future in ARZ) and Stecher (expiring deal, might be of some interest) and Gostisbehere (expiring deal, certainly tons of interest).
- If he gets injured, even slightly, that craters his value.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Right, it's the optics of it all. Logically, keeping Chychrun scratched is a win-win-win; Coyotes & the acquiring team protect their asset and Chychrun feels like a trade is materializing.

But Arizona stating their reasoning so blatantly is something I can't see the league being happy with. If a trade is made soon, no will care. But, if it stretches out and folks are still waiting for something to happen on March 3, eh, I think there'll be some fuss.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
At this point, the return for Chychrun better be enormous, the way this is being drug through the mud. If the return is a pick, a decent prospect, and a bozo that can be rostered, the Yotes should be ashamed of themselves lol.

That said, I do think it's wise to hold him out, because he's games away from an injury - based on his history.

The ironic thing is, sitting out for what could end up being 2+ weeks is not a good thing, and his chances of getting injured while debuting for his new team will be increased.

Dec 15, 2002

Read Article 5 of the CBA. That tells you everything you need to know about the possibility of the league doing anything like you suggest. [Spoiler: it's practically nil.] If the league opens your idea for action, it might as well adopt ideas from 87,000,0002 hockey fans demanding action to prevent the "problem of tanking."

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We keep hearing more and more teams are out on Chycrun. Maybe the Coyotes management dilly dallying around will end up biting them in the backside.
I'm not sure that dilly dallying is the right description of what the Coyotes are doing. They set a price and will trade him if that price is met.

Chychrun and the Coyotes are both hoping it happens, but it might not happen.

Reactions: PainForShane

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not sure that dilly dallying is the right description of what the Coyotes are doing. They set a price and will trade him if that price is met.

Chychrun and the Coyotes are both hoping it happens, but it might not happen.
I agreed with you up until the "healthy scratch until he is traded" stuff came about.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The scratch is entirely reasonable. He likely would have been traded last deadline if he wasn't injured at the time. They've ensured that the same thing won't happen this year. The player is ok with it and the team is ok with it.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good business, that.

I don't understand why anyone doesn't see the logic here. Nothing Chychrun does in the lineup over the next week and a half can help the Coyotes:
- His value is already high, it's not getting any higher short-term.
- He's healthy, playing won't make him heathier.
- If he's dominant and scores goals, that helps win games and hurts chances at Bedard / Fantilli.
- If he's in the lineup, it takes minutes away from young defensemen like Moser and Soderstrom (who have a future in ARZ) and Stecher (expiring deal, might be of some interest) and Gostisbehere (expiring deal, certainly tons of interest).
- If he gets injured, even slightly, that craters his value.
What about the fans who pay big bucks for tickets? I'm not buying tickets to watch Kassian, or Ritchie or Fischer.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
what's the definition of insanity?
One of them is - the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
another one is what Einstein may have said Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is more or less the definition of practising a musical instrument.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Portillo has been pretty weak this year, could still turn it around but lets not anoint him as the answer when he isnt even average on a stacked NCAA team. He was incredible last year so the step back is concerning, ala Jack Lafontaine who looked like a future Vezina winner his Jr. year then collapsed and never has got it back.
The alternative is Quick and Petersen.

With Copley signing the new contract we wouldn't have to rush Portillo and see what he got

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Portillo has been pretty weak this year, could still turn it around but lets not anoint him as the answer when he isnt even average on a stacked NCAA team. He was incredible last year so the step back is concerning, ala Jack Lafontaine who looked like a future Vezina winner his Jr. year then collapsed and never has got it back.
Well…they lost their actual good defenseman and the guy he was insulating with the famous last name is still a tire fire in his own end

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad