Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Has there ever been a player on the trade block so long without ever really asking for a trade?
If you watch his interview from the ‘22 camp, he explains that he approached was by management during the camp ‘21 and told the direction of the team, in terms of rebuilding/tanking, and asked if he wanted to be part of this plan or to move on. He opted to move on. They began looking for deals at that point. Quietly at first, until rumors broke out of Long Island around Thanksgiving of ‘21.

We can assume Keller and Schmaltz wanted to stay. And obviously Crouse did too, as he’s recently signed a long-term extension. Chychrun chose a different path. He asked to be traded.

Both sides have been publicly very amicable and complimentary and professional about it all. Armstrong and Tourigny often go out of their way to say they understand his decision and to praise his professionalism.

I think part of this is that AZ realized that his remaining three years were likely to be his best and would be wasted during the rebuild. By the time they’re ready to start competing, he’ll be a pending UFA.

It just makes sense to keep Keller, Schmaltz and Crouse due to their contracts. Chychrun, it makes a little more sense to move. Especially since he’s less onboard with the plan than the others were.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Wats

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
According to Friedman today on the Marek show:

There is a theory going around which a few teams believe, That Chychrun has re-aggravated an injury (nothing major) but its the actual reason he is being held out and not the fact that a trade is close or imminent.

Friedman says this makes sense because he keeps hearing from sources that LA and Arizona are nowhere near a trade.

This has to be further concerning for any interested buyers. Chychrun's knock has always been that he is injury prone. Goes way back to his CHL days.

IF true, this is very coy of Arizona to make it seem like Chychrun is sitting out because a trade is close rather than because he is dealing with yet another injury.
Yikes forget the bubble wrap, throw in casts as a part of the deal

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
I think Arizona's hamstrung by the lack of suitors at this point and the Kings aren't going to bid against themselves. If Boston or Toronto want to trade their top prospects in Lysell or Knies respectively on top of their 1st +, so be it but, to this point they obviously don't look like they want to do that. This puts the Kings in "pole" position because they have far more options as far as B prospects that the Yotes can hand pick, as well as having most likely the best 23' 1st between Boston and Toronto. I think this drags out until closer to the deadline with Arizona hoping that some team gets desperate and Pony's up what they're asking. If that doesn't happen will they settle for a somewhat underwhelming return or will they drag this out longer and circle back in the offseason?

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
We dont have a D with Chychrun's shot from the left side. He would easily make our PP.
But I generally agree with you, I feel we could get something that upgrades what we need that doesnt cost both arms and a leg like Chychrun, who misses a third of the games every season.
Kaliyev & Kempe play that spot now. Kempe is the #1 zone entry option on the first PP & is he leading in goals now? Kaliyev makes the second PP dangerous by standing in the right circle. Where are we playing another left hand shot? Fiala is a lefty too? Could easily slide him in there.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kaliyev & Kempe play that spot now. Kempe is the #1 zone entry option on the first PP & is he leading in goals now? Kaliyev makes the second PP dangerous by standing in the right circle. Where are we playing another left hand shot? Fiala is a lefty too? Could easily slide him in there.
Also in the future that would create a defense problem

We would have literally no defensive d.
Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Durzi, Chychrun, Grans are all offense.

A balanced defense would look like:

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Clarke
Moverare - Spence/Durzi/Grans

Those pairings have a mobile stay at home defender to allow adventures for the offensive defender.
We just have no spot for Chychrun

Reactions: KingTech

GhostofYotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We don't want him at all.
I just quoted what has been said
Maybe you don't, but the kings clearly have interest, as they've been rumored multiple times as having been in discussions. I didn't want to rebuild, and there were other AZ posters who felt the same way. Low and behold, here we are in a rebuild.

The kings are interested, now we just need to see who bends/breaks, if anyone.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Maybe you don't, but the kings clearly have interest, as they've been rumored multiple times as having been in discussions. I didn't want to rebuild, and there were other AZ posters who felt the same way. Low and behold, here we are in a rebuild.

You must have missed the news where Friedman just said that the Kings and the Coyotes are not even near to a deal.

Love your avatar though :)

Reactions: GhostofYotesFan47

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wonder if Blake had Clarke on the table until Clarke heard about the leaks and asked him about it (perhaps through his agent). Blake then re-assured him that he wasn't going to trade him and took him off the table. That would make sense of why LA was the clear frontrunner until the news of Clarke not being traded broke and, all of a sudden, the rumors stopped and things seemed stalled between the two teams.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
kings are interest despite my fellow king fans saying there not, However the price of 3 firsts is nit going to happen. If i was coyotes gm i would go after Kurpari jad Spence or Bjornfoot and a first all players would make the team There all nhl player that improve team greatly I dont disagree agere is no blue chip in there (althou i think Spense is close) but 4 players making ur roster plus a first in 24 is a pretty good haul

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
BOS: two firsts (pick your years), Lohrei or Lysell, another prospect (not named Lohrei, Lysell, Harrison, or Poitras), Smith, Reilly

AZ: Chychrun (50% retained), Bjugstad

Who says no?

Reactions: wintersej

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Also in the future that would create a defense problem

We would have literally no defensive d.
Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Durzi, Chychrun, Grans are all offense.

A balanced defense would look like:

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Clarke
Moverare - Spence/Durzi/Grans

Those pairings have a mobile stay at home defender to allow adventures for the offensive defender.
We just have no spot for Chychrun
Bjornfot is the reason why there is no room for Chychrun on the Kings. Now i've heard it all.

Chychrun is a fine defender and would make a 10x impact on the game over Bjornfot. The team is after him for a reason.

Reactions: Nowotny

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Bjornfot is the reason why there is no room for Chychrun on the Kings. Now i've heard it all.

Chychrun is a fine defender and would make a 10x impact on the game over Bjornfot. The team is after him for a reason.
If you take it out of context, then yes.
The point was actually that the 2nd pair LD needs to be a defensive minded D

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I wonder if Blake had Clarke on the table until Clarke heard about the leaks and asked him about it (perhaps through his agent). Blake then re-assured him that he wasn't going to trade him and took him off the table. That would make sense of why LA was the clear frontrunner until the news of Clarke not being traded broke and, all of a sudden, the rumors stopped and things seemed stalled between the two teams.
Occam's Razor says it is just Nick Kypreos is a dipshit

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
kings are interest despite my fellow king fans saying there not, However the price of 3 firsts is nit going to happen. If i was coyotes gm i would go after Kurpari jad Spence or Bjornfoot and a first all players would make the team There all nhl player that improve team greatly I dont disagree agere is no blue chip in there (althou i think Spense is close) but 4 players making ur roster plus a first in 24 is a pretty good haul
Trading all 4 of these guys + a 1st is outrageous. I'd do 2 of them and if that's not enough then so be it, we simply aren't desperate enough for a player like Chychrun.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Sources are telling me Vilardi will sign next, then they will circle back to Chychrun to see what kind of cap space the Kings need.

Reactions: Seattle King

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Sources are telling me Vilardi will sign next, then they will circle back to Chychrun to see what kind of cap space the Kings need.
Blake is building in some cost certainty, getting the core free agents locked up before he makes a long-term decision on which new player to bring in and for how long and how much. Smart.
I like to hit him hard about drafting Turcotte instead of Cozens and the Cal contract but Blake is doing a lot of things right.

Reactions: KingsCourt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you take it out of context, then yes.
The point was actually that the 2nd pair LD needs to be a defensive minded D

This is actually something I agree with entirely. Chychrun fits the idea of the Kings needing a LD, but he's another offensive type and that's not something the Kings lack. I think that's the strongest argument against LA trading for Chychrun, they're better off using those kind of assets for a better fit if they're paying that much.

That's the argument I had with Chychrun with other Penguins fans, in that he's very redundant with also having Letang and Petry on the same team. But at this point, their defense is in such bad shape that I'd take any upgrade possible :laugh:

That's also why I like the idea of Chychrun in Edmonton on paper. Slide him onto the 2nd pair with Ceci and I think those two complement each other really well.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
🤣

Screenshot_20230215_170425_Twitter.jpg

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Trading all 4 of these guys + a 1st is outrageous. I'd do 2 of them and if that's not enough then so be it, we simply aren't desperate enough for a player like Chychrun.
i never said all 4 that's why the or is there I was trying to say what type of player they should be after A combo of 2 maybe 3 Maybe that didn't come across right my bad buut them aftter 4 firsts isnt going to happen

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
BOS: two firsts (pick your years), Lohrei or Lysell, another prospect (not named Lohrei, Lysell, Harrison, or Poitras), Smith, Reilly

Who says no?
Zona says no. They aren’t going to retain on a guy who already has a bargain contract. They’ll get equivalent offers from other teams without having to retain.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

That was last deadline or in the Summer before the King's goalies imploded & Lizotte was the 3C when LD looked like the biggest need. Not so much now. I'd be taking those chychrun assets & asking the Blues & Nashville if they have a goalie for sale.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Who says no?

Arizona says no easily. They'd be taking on 2 cap dumps AND 50% of Chychrun AND trading Bjugstad (who does have TDL value at only 900k)............for one extra piece, and you're taking 3 of your best options away?

Arizona likely gets a package that's on par with your offer (2 1sts, Lohrei/Lysell) for Chychrun with nothing retained.....and might not have to take on any cap in return.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Arizona says no easily. They'd be taking on 2 cap dumps AND 50% of Chychrun AND trading Bjugstad (who does have TDL value at only 900k)............for one extra piece, and you're taking 3 of your best options away?

Arizona likely gets a package that's on par with your offer (2 1sts, Lohrei/Lysell) for Chychrun with nothing retained.....and might not have to take on any cap in return.
That’s fair.

Reactions: Zman5778
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad