Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Makes sense

Team A : Gavrikov (retained)
CLB : Chychrun
ARI : Prospect (2nd round value) + Late 1st (teamA) + 2nd (CLB - basically 1st)

So essentially:
25-30 pick + 31-35 pick + A-/B+ prospect for Chychrun.

Retained Gavrikov to contender for late 1st

Chychrun for Gavrikov + prospect + 2nd
as a cbj fan this feels kinda light in terms of what we're giving up but the basic framework makes a lot of sense

Reactions: Empoleon8771

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah I think the Jackets would have to include 1 1st round caliber prospect with their 2nd. Maybe Ceulemans? Deal would be Ceulemans, a late 1st and early 2nd for Chychrun.
not exactly a prospect but i wonder if arizona would prefer boqvist to ceulemans given that ceulemans is an unsigned college player and boqvist has term. if they're gonna move ghost bear too, boqvist can step right in.

something like 2023 1st (from the gavrikov trade) + 2023 2nd + boqvist + a prospect or another 2nd/3rd rounder seems like it'd work.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Makes sense

So essentially:

Gavrikov and a 2nd for Chychrun? CBJ is getting the best player and isn't giving up nearly enough to earn it.

Also, I don't see the Coyotes accepting any veteran / expiring contract on the premise that "they'll just re-sell him later and get a meaningful pick."

Retention slots are at a premium in ARZ: OEL is already using one this season and the next four, and ARZ will still be shopping Gostisbehere, Ritchie, Bjugstad and maybe Vejmelka. I can't imagine that a meaningful part of the Coyotes return for Chychrun will both a) require them to do extra work and re-trade someone, and b) require them to retain salary.

If Gavrikov is worth a 2023 1st, CBJ can sell him for that and then just send the pick to ARZ.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Buffalo needs to step up here. Sabres have a crack at the Wild Card. Get it while the getting is good.

Mittelstadt
Bryson
Rosen
Johnson
Portillo
24 1st

For

Chychrun
Schmaltz

Johnson and Portillo are probably gonna walk with their eligibility. Lose em for nothing. Both would get instant opportunity in AZ.

Chych = Mitts, Rosen & 1st

Schmaltz = Bryson, Johnson and Portillo

Mandalorian this shit. This is the way.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Buffalo needs to step up here. Sabres have a crack at the Wild Card. Get it while the getting is good.

Mittelstadt
Bryson
Rosen
Johnson
Portillo
24 1st

For

Chychrun
Schmaltz

Johnson and Portillo are probably gonna walk with their eligibility. Lose em for nothing. Both would get instant opportunity in AZ.

Congratulations on being the 10,000 trade post of large quantity of trash for marquee players.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
1676400001892.png

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Hmm, was it based on Jiricek not being there, Mateychuk? Or did Arizona balk after someone didn't fall?
Neither. Columbus is sensitive about players not wanting to be there (they’ve been burned in the past, ex: Carter) and they don’t do blockbusters without temp checking with player camps. Chychrun’s camp was cold on it. So Columbus dropped the offer.

Funny enough, once they signed Johnny Hockey, Chychrun changed his tune. It was too late at that point.

Now that Columbus is dead last, I’m not sure Chychrun would be as warm as he was on UFA day. May be right back to draft day vibes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Neither. Columbus is sensitive about players not wanting to be there (they’ve been burned in the past, ex: Carter) and they don’t do blockbusters without temp checking with player camps. Chychrun’s camp was cold on it. So Columbus dropped the offer.

Funny enough, once they signed Johnny Hockey, Chychrun changed his tune. It was too late at that point.

Now that Columbus is dead last, I’m not sure Chychrun would be as warm as he was on UFA day. May be right back to draft day vibes.

To be fair, aren't most of Columbus' issues this year injury related? I also think going to a team with Gaudreau, Laine and Werenski signed long-term with a legit shot at Bedard seems like a pretty appealing destination.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Mittelstadt
Bryson
Rosen
Johnson
Portillo
24 1st

For

Chychrun
Schmaltz

I wouldn’t trade a 3rd round pick for Mittelstadt.

I wouldn’t claim Bryson on waivers.

Portillo is a pending UFA with no compensatory pick.

Johnson is a pending UFA whose compensatory pick is the very last pick in the 2nd round of 2024. Arizona already has FOUR picks ahead of that in the 2nd round of that draft.

You’re proposing basically a mid-round ‘24 1st, a late-round ‘24 2nd, and Rosen for Chychrun and Schmaltz.

Reactions: Nowotny

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
To be fair, aren't most of Columbus' issues this year injury related? I also think going to a team with Gaudreau, Laine and Werenski signed long-term with a legit shot at Bedard seems like a pretty appealing destination.
At this point, I have to think Chychrun would go anywhere that gets him out of Arizona. But I don’t think Columbus cracks any players’ top 20.

There are rumors that 1:4 NHL clubs are interested. He may roll the dice that any of them come through.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Gavrikov and a 2nd for Chychrun? CBJ is getting the best player and isn't giving up nearly enough to earn it.

Also, I don't see the Coyotes accepting any veteran / expiring contract on the premise that "they'll just re-sell him later and get a meaningful pick."

Retention slots are at a premium in ARZ: OEL is already using one this season and the next four, and ARZ will still be shopping Gostisbehere, Ritchie, Bjugstad and maybe Vejmelka. I can't imagine that a meaningful part of the Coyotes return for Chychrun will both a) require them to do extra work and re-trade someone, and b) require them to retain salary.

If Gavrikov is worth a 2023 1st, CBJ can sell him for that and then just send the pick to ARZ.
.....that's literally what is happening in my proposal

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Bruins package of lysell and a 1st is gotta be enticing enough for Armstrong I say.
The 32nd pick and Lysell is probably not enough. That’s closer to what Horvat returned and he came with a 70 million dollar price tag.

Makes sense

So essentially:

Upgrade that prospect. Needs to be Ceulemans.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Keeping this guy out of the lineup until the TDL is not cool.

He gets paid to play the games, and fans pay for tickets to watch him play the games. Figure it out. If he's healthy and on the team, he should be playing.
If you are in legit trade talk that’s one thing. But the guy is also under contract for 2 more seasons so he doesn’t need to be dealt at the tdl.

Reactions: banks

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I mean what Chychrun wants to do doesn't particularly matter, because he's under contract and doesn't have any trade protection.
Columbus isn’t forced to agree to any trade. They can make it contingent on speaking to the player’s representation. Arizona doesn’t have to agree. But if Columbus has the best offer, why wouldn’t Arizona agree?

I don’t think it’s outrageous or anything. Columbus is right to be careful. Arizona is right to do what it takes to get the best package. And Chychrun can answer any question honestly that he’s asked. Fair play all around, IMO.

How is this not blatant tanking?
Load management.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How is this not blatant tanking?

On one hand, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Gm meetings after all this. Reminds me of the leadup to the McDavid draft.

on the other, as a fan at least, I appreciate the honesty instead of a 'body injury' of some sort heh. If any of the players were against it I'm sure the PA would be loading their muskets

they keep winning.

Probably not super helpful for Chychrun's value.

Reactions: kinghock

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
On one hand, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Gm meetings after all this. Reminds me of the leadup to the McDavid draft.

on the other, as a fan at least, I appreciate the honesty instead of a 'body injury' of some sort heh. If any of the players were against it I'm sure the PA would be loading their muskets
the only fallout of this is the GM's will start using different terminology to be less transparent. Trade related reasons becomes general body soreness or load management.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Probably not super helpful for Chychrun's value.
I don't think it affects his trade value as all. He played 30 mins his last game. He's played at a 60-70 point pace this season. People know who he is. AZ is keeping their asset in prime condition for his new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad