Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I'm just not sure WHY someone would give Columbus the assets instead of just getting Chychrun themselves, unless they were a team that was ONLY looking for a rental. Which is who? Like Gavrikov as your Chychrun back up plan, sure, but what team in their right minds would give Columbus most of the pieces they needed to complete a Chychrun deal instead of just getting Chychrun?
To CBJ
EDM ‘23 1st
Puljujarvi (3aav)

To EDM
Gavrikov@50% (1.4aav)
*room for Yamamoto activation

To CBJ
Chychrun

To ARI
EDM ‘23 1st
Mateychuk

CBJ out: Gavrikov, Mateychuk
CBJ In: Chychrun, Puljujarvi

EDM out: ‘23 1st, Puljujarvi
EDM in: Gavrikov (50% ret.)

ARI out: Chychrun
In: Mateychuk, EDM ‘23 1st

^ admittedly, everything about that is ridiculous.

Back to reality: Kaliyev, Spence, a 1st and some dumps for Chychrun and some meaningless contracts in the AHL.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So he is being traded but is pending trade for a trade that has not happened but apparently will happen but nobody knows when.

IS this about right or?

Reactions: HabsQC

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I....don't think I mentioned CBJ at all?
I thought you were asking for clarification on the direction of this thread over the last several posts. The theory of the Gavrikov contingent transaction.

To answer your question, nobody knows if a trade is close or not close. Nobody knows if the team initiated the healthy scratch or if the player and his agent did. Nobody knows if he will come back into the Arizona lineup at some point before the deadline or even after it, should no trade materialize.

Multiple national media personalities have described “a cone of silence” surrounding the situation.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The NHL needs to make the draft lottery weighted evenly for all 15 teams outside of the playoffs for the top 3 picks

Intentional tanking antics like this are embarassing, but I guess thats par for the course with Arizona

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
The NHL needs to make the draft lottery weighted evenly for all 15 teams outside of the playoffs for the top 3 picks

Intentional tanking antics like this are embarassing, but I guess thats par for the course with Arizona
Didn’t Taylor Hall sit out for close to a week before being traded to the Coyotes? Did the Devils get accused of tanking? This is not the first time this has happened.

Also, the Coyotes have never benefited from the lottery. They’ve either dropped spots or stayed where they were originally slotted. Overall this seems like a targeted take.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Thats a terrible idea.

Some teams are just BAD. Trying or not. Then some teams with bad luck could not draft high for a decade and fans would not show up to games anymore which would reduce league revenue which means less money for players and overall growth to the game.

Reactions: CBJx614

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec

Some journalist went further than that. He proposed a 1-16 playoff format with the 1st overall going in a lottery to teams 17-20. Then back to the normal lottery for pick #2 and on. I don't hate it tbh

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

AZ is 1-0-1 since they sat Chychrun/Chychrun and his agent asked to sit out until a trade is completed.

Didn’t Taylor Hall sit out for close to a week before being traded to the Coyotes? Did the Devils get accused of tanking? This is not the first time this has happened.

Also, the Coyotes have never benefited from the lottery. They’ve either dropped spots or stayed where they were originally slotted. Overall this seems like a targeted take.
Didn’t Toronto have a Robidas Island that nobody was allowed to talk about?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Why are they so hell bent on trading this kid? He's 24 years old. When this team is competitive again he'll be 27, 28? With a new arena.

I don't know the back story, did he ask for a trade? He would be staple on their blue line for years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why are they so hell bent on trading this kid? He's 24 years old. When this team is competitive again he'll be 27, 28? With a new arena.

I don't know the back story, did he ask for a trade? He would be staple on their blue line for years.
Chychrun wants a trade.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40

He wants to play for a playoff team and not go through a rebuild. It probably bothers him that he signed away UFA years and could have cashed out this off-season. GM Bill Armstrong approached Chychrun the beginning of last season and told JC that he is getting some decent trade requests and JC told him he was okay with trading him. There is no animosity, just a willingness to move on.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't understand how his perceived value is as high as it is. Maybe that explains why he has been on the trade block for so long. Having Tyson Barrie on Colorado flashbacks.
Chychrun is a much better Dman than Barrie ever was but I think the Yotes are also asking for the moon which is the problem.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Some journalist went further than that. He proposed a 1-16 playoff format with the 1st overall going in a lottery to teams 17-20. Then back to the normal lottery for pick #2 and on. I don't hate it tbh

Sounds good on paper but are NHL fans really going to go pay to go see a tournament for draft position?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Chychrun going to Columbus would be the worst way for this to end. I'd rather see this drag out into the summer. I know they've had some serious injury misfortune, but any team dumb enough to hand the keys over to Gaudreau and Laine deserves the misfortune they get.

And I have 0 idea why any team would give Columbus 80% of the cost of Chychrun for Gavrikov. If I know Columbus is competing with me for him, I'd look elsewhere at someone like Schenn instead, and I'd make sure the Coyotes know it too. Not to mention 80% of Chychrun is either a massive overpayment on Gavrikov or a massive underpayment for Chychrun

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

His contract is up in 2 years. There’s no guarantee they’re good in 3 or 4, they gotta make good picks and turn em into good players first, then season ‘em- it’ll be more like 6 years. Oh, and he wants a trade.

Why the hell indeed.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This sitting him out for a prolonged period is bullshit and disrespects the competitive integrity of the sport.

As a fellow team who is tanking this year, it's very obnoxious and I don't like it.

But if I was a Sabres fan, and let's say Chychrun played us 2 weeks ago and put up a goal and two assists to beat us, and now a team I'm competing with in the playoff race like the Islanders is playing Arizona and they've intentionally tied one of their hands behind their back, I'm pissed off.

I also hate gambling in hockey (or at least it's proliferation) but what about the integrity of that? If you bet on certain teams to make the playoffs, you accept that injuries can happen, how are you supposed to believe in the integrity of the bet if some teams just intentionally quit and pull their good players because they aren't even trying to win?

Bad look for the league IMO.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Didn’t Toronto have a Robidas Island that nobody was allowed to talk about?
No, they had one that everyone talked about. In fact, being sent to Robidas Island became cliche. It is so common to use LTIR now that people just say LTIRetired.

Last edited:
Reactions: HofT and leafsfan5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad