Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The NHL needs to make the draft lottery weighted evenly for all 15 teams outside of the playoffs for the top 3 picks

Intentional tanking antics like this are embarassing, but I guess thats par for the course with Arizona

Some journalist went further than that. He proposed a 1-16 playoff format with the 1st overall going in a lottery to teams 17-20. Then back to the normal lottery for pick #2 and on. I don't hate it tbh

Why do we have to come up with some convoluted lottery system for the NHL? The NFL and MLB do just fine with a straight reverse standings draft order.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Sounds good on paper but are NHL fans really going to go pay to go see a tournament for draft position?
Some people seem to prefer prospects over proven talent, so I'd say there's somewhat of a market for it. Strange as it seems.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This sitting him out for a prolonged period is bullshit and disrespects the competitive integrity of the sport.

As a fellow team who is tanking this year, it's very obnoxious and I don't like it.

Bad look for the league IMO.
Are the Canucks really tanking? Or did they try their best to be good and fail miserably because they are inept? Doesn’t look like a strategy to me. Looks like desperately running out of options and having no idea what else to do.

Chychrun has missed two games. That’s happened plenty of times. Arizona has 3 of a possible four points in those games.

Can you show me a source that states it was the Coyotes that initiated this, rather than the player and his representation? His agent watched him play 30 minutes in a meaningless tank game against Chicago in a meaningless back-to-back with travel to St Louis on the road for the next game the next day. It’s the player that requested the trade. The last thing he wants is to get hurt and miss the trade deadline AGAIN.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Are the Canucks really tanking? Or did they try their best to be good and fail miserably because they are inept? Doesn’t look like a strategy to me. Looks like desperately running out of options and having no idea what else to do.

Chychrun has missed two games. That’s happened plenty of times. Arizona has 3 of a possible four points in those games.

Can you show me a source that states it was the Coyotes that initiated this, rather than the player and his representation? His agent watched him play 30 minutes in a meaningless tank game against Chicago in a meaningless back-to-back with travel to St Louis on the road for the next game the next day. It’s the player that requested the trade. The last thing he wants is to get hurt and miss the trade deadline AGAIN.
Canucks inadvertently suck mainly because of 8 years of mismanagement from the team’s former general manager, Dim Jim Benning, who ironically the poster you replied to fervently supported and ridiculed those critical of him. He deserves the results we are seeing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Since Friedman has zero knowledge on this topic I will speak on his behalf with an observation he will make In the future

“After seeing Chychrun shirtless I have to just say that there’s a possibility that Joe Rogan will recruit him into MMA.”

• Haha
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chychrun going to Columbus would be the worst way for this to end. I'd rather see this drag out into the summer. I know they've had some serious injury misfortune, but any team dumb enough to hand the keys over to Gaudreau and Laine deserves the misfortune they get.

And I have 0 idea why any team would give Columbus 80% of the cost of Chychrun for Gavrikov. If I know Columbus is competing with me for him, I'd look elsewhere at someone like Schenn instead, and I'd make sure the Coyotes know it too. Not to mention 80% of Chychrun is either a massive overpayment on Gavrikov or a massive underpayment for Chychrun

I don’t think you have a good feel about Columbu and what they are building

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why do we have to come up with some convoluted lottery system for the NHL? The NFL and MLB do just fine with a straight reverse standings draft order.
MLB now has a draft lottery. All 18 non-playoff teams are in the lottery which determines the first 6 picks.

And apparently Goodell has not completely ruled out the idea of a NFL draft lottery.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It would be funny if Chychrun doesn’t get traded at the deadline. Does Arizona sit him out the rest of the season? Arizona put Chychrun in mothballs and they didn’t have a trade ready to go.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
This sitting him out for a prolonged period is bullshit and disrespects the competitive integrity of the sport.

As a fellow team who is tanking this year, it's very obnoxious and I don't like it.

But if I was a Sabres fan, and let's say Chychrun played us 2 weeks ago and put up a goal and two assists to beat us, and now a team I'm competing with in the playoff race like the Islanders is playing Arizona and they've intentionally tied one of their hands behind their back, I'm pissed off.

I also hate gambling in hockey (or at least it's proliferation) but what about the integrity of that? If you bet on certain teams to make the playoffs, you accept that injuries can happen, how are you supposed to believe in the integrity of the bet if some teams just intentionally quit and pull their good players because they aren't even trying to win?

Other then the word Chychrun, you could be talking about Chicago.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It would be funny if Chychrun doesn’t get traded at the deadline. Does Arizona sit him out the rest of the season? Arizona put Chychrun in mothballs and they didn’t have a trade ready to go.
It's a real possibility that no GM is ready to pay the asking price, without getting free cap dumps. Bill Armstrong might decide to stick to his price and hold onto the player.

While I hope a trade happens, I'm preparing myself for this saga to continue.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No, they had one that everyone talked about. In fact, being sent to Robidas Island became cliche. It is so common to use LTIR now that people just say LTIRetired.
I'm sure the NHL did a full investigation complete with harsh sanctions and lost draft picks.

AZ can't complain because we've taken advantage of many of these "questionable" cap circumvention moves by teams like Chicago and Hossa's skin issue that was absolutely unbearable just when his contract magically moved to the years where he was making significantly less money. My point is there's a whole bunch of other crap out there that teams/the league hides. AZ is being honest with what they are doing and if everyone is going to cry over this all day every day then all the team is going to do is change the wording in the press release to something vague (general body soreness, load management, family issues, whatever). The media in particular better ask themselves if they want transparency or not cause if they don't then keep making this into a bigger story than it should be given all the other stuff that teams have gotten away with barely a column on in recent years.

in all seriousness, Chychrun has missed 2 games thus far. There is some suspicion by the AZ media that the decision to sit out until a trade was made by Chychrun and his agent after he played 30 mins against Chicago and their concerns that he could get hurt right before the deadline like he did last year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm sure the NHL did a full investigation complete with harsh sanctions and lost draft picks.

AZ can't complain because we've taken advantage of many of these "questionable" cap circumvention moves by teams like Chicago and Hossa's skin issue that was absolutely unbearable just when his contract magically moved to the years where he was making significantly less money. My point is there's a whole bunch of other crap out there that teams/the league hides. AZ is being honest with what they are doing and if everyone is going to cry over this all day every day then all the team is going to do is change the wording in the press release to something vague (general body soreness, load management, family issues, whatever). The media in particular better ask themselves if they want transparency or not cause if they don't then keep making this into a bigger story than it should be given all the other stuff that teams have gotten away with barely a column on in recent years.

in all seriousness, Chychrun has missed 2 games thus far. There is some suspicion by the AZ media that the decision to sit out until a trade was made by Chychrun and his agent after he played 30 mins against Chicago and their concerns that he could get hurt right before the deadline like he did last year.

What rules exactly do you think were broken by putting players onto LTIR? They all failed medicals and had extensive injury issues.

It’s not like they were getting paid to be part of the leagues front office while still existing as a non-retired cap hit that was artificially putting a team above the cap floor despite their most expensive possible on-ice roster being below the floor to save money.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What rules exactly do you think were broken by putting players onto LTIR? They all failed medicals and had extensive injury issues.

It’s not like they were getting paid to be part of the leagues front office while still existing as a non-retired cap hit that was artificially putting a team above the cap floor despite their most expensive possible on-ice roster being below the floor to save money.
yeah I guess I'm saying they circumvented the cap. I don't think I'm alone in thinking it either.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

But if I was a Sabres fan, and let's say Chychrun played us 2 weeks ago and put up a goal and two assists to beat us, and now a team I'm competing with in the playoff race like the Islanders is playing Arizona and they've intentionally tied one of their hands behind their back, I'm pissed off.

I also hate gambling in hockey (or at least it's proliferation) but what about the integrity of that? If you bet on certain teams to make the playoffs, you accept that injuries can happen, how are you supposed to believe in the integrity of the bet if some teams just intentionally quit and pull their good players because they aren't even trying to win?

I agree. It's one thing to sit out a player the actual day they are being traded. Quite another to sit a player out a week plus.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
yeah I guess I'm saying they circumvented the cap. I don't think I'm alone in thinking it either.

So they should have had players who were too injured to play on the cap as well as their replacements? What’s the purpose of LTIR being in the CBA?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. It's one thing to sit out a player the actual day they are being traded. Quite another to sit a player out a week plus.
Did you post or complain when the Devils did it years ago?

So they should have had players who were too injured to play on the cap as well as their replacements? What’s the purpose of LTIR being in the CBA?
skin condition that he could play with when he was being paid $5M that he couldn't play with when he was only being paid $1M. nothing to see there. I'm obviously crazy for mentioning it. Purely coincidental.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

They didn't start the year tanking, but have embraced the reality of this year which is, in part, based on historically poor goaltending.

Pointing to results is immaterial, the process is what matters. If I bet every cent I have on the roulette wheel twice and win, it doesn't mean it was a smart move.

Are you serious about 'whether it was the team or player?" Of course it was the team, but the point would stand regardless. So a player wants to hold himself out of games but still be paid his contract and you think the league works that way?

You're a good poster my dude, but this is a bad post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad