Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
How is that not a strong argument? It's directly comparing Turcotte to other highly drafted, high upside (or perceived upside) players and what they were traded for once they didn't work out.

Turcotte has 0 points in 12 NHL games along with 53 points in 82 AHL games. He's waiver eligible after next season, he only has the rest of this year and next year before he risks waivers. I don't see anything with Turcotte that suggests he's in any different of a position than any other former struggling high pick who was traded for little.

Turcotte is really close to the "not working out" portion of his value. He's not quite there yet, which is why he's doesn't have the value of only a 4th, but he's getting really close. He's only 21, so he's still young, but all of the guys drafted around him are impact players in the NHL right now and he's very clearly trending towards that "not working out" value.
What guys drafted around him are doing now is very clear. That has lowered his value drastically, we already agreed on that. Now we are talking about him as possible bust or not. That he is waiver eligible, well ok, since when is that an argument that somebody will bust.. Why is that so important to mention if we talk about Turcotte as a player and future NHL player. Perhaps he will carve out a NHL career with another team. He wont be the first one. That says nothing about him being not good enough.

I tried to explain something but looks like you are only stat watching (which is definitely important) and are looking for comparable high drafted players who didnt have to deal with 36 or whatever injuries the past two years.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dreger was on Ottawa radio for the pre-game show an hour ago and said that while Chychrun may be scratched for an eventual trade there is some talk it’s a double reason thing and implied JC back is bothering him - so no more games.
That makes sense. Saying that he's scratched for "trade-related reasons" allows them to control the narrative and prevent speculation that it's partly for health reasons, which could scare trade partners.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can't think of many instances of this happening, I mean I have seen players scratched on game day. But for a whole week? I do see Arizona's logic here though.

My one worry would be other teams suspecting that they are hiding an injury and trying to give him time to heal.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
What guys drafted around him are doing now is very clear. That has lowered his value drastically, we already agreed on that. Now we are talking about him as possible bust or not. That he is waiver eligible, well ok, since when is that an argument that somebody will bust.. Why is that so important to mention if we talk about Turcotte as a player and future NHL player. Perhaps he will carve out a NHL career with another team. He wont be the first one. That says nothing about him being not good enough.

I tried to explain something but looks like you are only stat watching (which is definitely important) and are looking for comparable high drafted players who didnt have to deal with 36 or whatever injuries the past two years.
The "36" injuries, especially the head injuries, is not a very hopeful alternate explanation for why hes not currently succeeding

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm done wasting my time if you want to write of any disagreement you have as "you know nothing about what you're talking about", but I'll just say this: if Chychrun would be available for the kind of package that you think he'd be available for, he would have been traded already. If the Kings could get Chychrun for Walker, Turcotte and a 1st, he would have been traded already.

You can try to frame it however you want. Try to say how Turcotte isn't in the same boat as the other former high picks who were traded for scraps after not panning out. Try to say how Chychrun is comparable to a much older and IMO worse player in Muzzin. It doesn't matter. All I can guarantee you is that the Kings are either not going to get Chychrun or they're going to be paying a lot more than you seemingly want to.

Surprise! Presented you with some stats and a reasonable discussion and you hand wave it off.

Funny enough I actually agree wholeheartedly with the boldfaced. If you were just actually engaging in good faith instead of trying to score bullshit cheap internet points could have been much more productive.

I think the dissonance in the conversation is 'what's his trade value' vs. 'what is he going to be as a player on a competitive team.'

I don't think there's any evidence he's an all-situations #1 dman on a contender. #2? Sure. Ideally, #3. Like I said, more in common with Muzzin than Doughty.

But they want Eichel value for Muzzin/Seth Jones. I just disagree that's worth it. And maybe someone does it--It's not beyond the realm of possibility for the teams who are ready to strike, like boston, TO, Edmonton. But the Kings aren't in that group yet. If the Kings were win-now, window open? Sure, push all the chips in, even Clarke. But even with JC, there are major holes on the roster and depth.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I think the difference is that Turcotte has all the injuries while not being an established player while Chychrun despite being injury prone is a very good NHLer when healthy. Pretty big distinction IMO

Reactions: Nowotny

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I can't think of many instances of this happening, I mean I have seen players scratched on game day. But for a whole week? I do see Arizona's logic here though.

My one worry would be other teams suspecting that they are hiding an injury and trying to give him time to heal.

It happened with Ryan McDonagh before his eventual trade to Tampa Bay.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Your list aside, nobody said it would be Clarke for Makar straight up. I feel like posters are deliberately being obtuse so they can dunk on Kings fans.
Clarke upside is Chychrun but the fact that he will be a low cap hit for 4 years and plays on the right side makes him more valuable at this junction. Chychrun would be great alongside offensively declining Doughty to offset Drew’s 11m cap hit while allowing defensively responsible Mikey anderson to cover for Clarke next year.

• Haha
Reactions: FSL KINGS

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Your list aside, nobody said it would be Clarke for Makar straight up. I feel like posters are deliberately being obtuse so they can dunk on Kings fans.
69E17942-AF38-45EF-93C9-752CBB11F6DD.png

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Clarke upside is Chychrun but the fact that he will be a low cap hit for 4 years and plays on the right side makes him more valuable at this junction. Chychrun would be great alongside offensively declining Doughty to offset Drew’s 11m cap hit while allowing defensively responsible Mikey anderson to cover for Clarke next year.
No it does not.

Clarke might never come close to Chychruns level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad