Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
tied for 2nd in points with Pinto & Beniers behind Maccelli.

3rd in ice time behind Guhle and Power.

If he keeps up his trajectory, we might have our first Calder winner since Alfie

Reactions: Norris4Norris

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I put 100 down on Sanderson winning the Calder at +2500. I’m sure Pinto and Sanderson will split the vote since I’ve bet on both.
Yeah I had 20 down on Pinto at +5000. Didn't think Sanderson would get enough points to be in the Calder race, but now he's 2nd, tied with Pinto and Beniers. #sensfanproblems

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
It's so weird watching Sanderson playing... He's already looking like a player with 5-6 years of NHL experience but he hasn't even played in 20 games yet.

He could have 0 points and I'd still be impressed with his overall play. I can't wait until he actually has a few years of pro-experience, I have a feeling he'll be really good in the playoffs as well.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
He's already turning into the minute munching defenceman we hoped he would be.

I was excited for Sandy but his play has definitely exceeded my expectations for a rookie year.

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
This is from Bob McKenzie’s final rankings.

“The No. 4 slot on TSN’s final list belongs to Erie Otter right defenceman Jamie Drysdale. Eight of 10 scouts ranked him in that position, giving him the nod as the consensus top blueliner available in this year’s draft. Drysdale was No. 4 on TSN’s mid-season list.
It’s worth noting, however, that the next-best defenceman, No. 8-ranked Jake Sanderson of the U.S. U-18 National Development Team Program, did have two of the 10 scouts rank him at No. 3, ahead of Drysdale. So Drysdale is the consensus top defenceman, but it’s not unanimous.”

2 of 10 teams had Sanderson higher, that’s not most NHL teams.

well maybe i should have said the best drafting NHL teams because those two teams were right it seems.

It probably makes me sound like a cocky ass but I was just as bullish on Sanderson pre draft and him being a much superior prospect to Drysdale, so I see no reason to change my tone now. it was clear then as it is now. Imo the only thing Drysdale is better at is his freakish back skating ability, Sanderson takes most other categories.

Reactions: bicboi64

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
well maybe i should have said the best drafting NHL teams because those two teams were right it seems.

It probably makes me sound like a cocky ass but I was just as bullish on Sanderson pre draft and him being a much superior prospect to Drysdale, so I see no reason to change my tone now. it was clear then as it is now. Imo the only thing Drysdale is better at is his freakish back skating ability, Sanderson takes most other categories.
I think we all can agree on that! :nod:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He's not yet the suffocating shutdown D I expect he'll become in time, but he's generally been pretty good defensively and his puckmoving has been impressive.

All the makings of a stud #1 defenseman.
What I find impressive for such a skilled dman is his willingness to block shot, take and play the body. On a situation in which the puck his loose his going to throw himself on the ice to protect the net if needed.

The other game, he lost his stick and made sure to almost cover without taking a penalty in front of the net. How many skill dman is going to do that?

His defence came as advertise but the offence is growing faster then a though it would.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's not yet the suffocating shutdown D I expect he'll become in time, but he's generally been pretty good defensively and his puckmoving has been impressive.

So far, his pair has played pretty high event hockey, but they've kept the quality of chances down. I think if he is asked to play low event shutdown hockey he'll excel at that too.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Hes very close
His defensive awareness is off the chart
Imagine him and Karlsson …

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
On the Sanderson front, this is unfolding very well. I was among many on the board thinking Sanderson could step in and provide immediate impact like a few other recent high draft NCAA D men did.

I hoped Sanderson would quickly develop to be better than Chabot defensively because I've never thought Chabot was good enough defensively.

Hopefully the time off allows Chabot a bit of a reset and his play quickly gets back to where we need it to be.

And hopefully DJ realizes that he doesn't need Chabot playing 28 minutes a night

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Why is it that you been to diminish Drysdale? He's really good, they can both be great you know. Neither player is close to being done developing. It's OK to be happy with the player without coming down on the other. You're also essentially saying that you know more than the majority of most NHL teams but can't identify who they are?... lol.

Hes very close
His defensive awareness is off the chart
Imagine him and Karlsson …
Imagine if they trade for Karlsson his cap hit prevents the sens from extending Sanderson. Who were just seeing scratch the surface like all the draft picks from the 2020 draft.

Reactions: aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Why is it that you been to diminish Drysdale? He's really good, they can both be great you know. Neither player is close to being done developing. It's OK to be happy with the player without coming down on the other. You're also essentially saying that you know more than the majority of most NHL teams but can't identify who they are?... lol.

Imagine if they trade for Karlsson his cap hit prevents the sens from extending Sanderson. Who were just seeing scratch the surface like all the draft picks from the 2020 draft.
No doubt that has to not happen

Just wandering if all the Marino s of the world can replace Cat offense and Zub defense if they choose not to re-sign

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No doubt that has to not happen

Just wandering if all the Marino s of the world can replace Cat offense and Zub defense if they choose not to re-sign
If this team doesn't sign Zub its an absolute disaster and they wont come remotely close to being a playoff team anytime soon. They need another Zub. They have puck transporters in Sanderson and Chabot they need more legit physical shut down guys that can play top 4 minutes.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If this team doesn't sign Zub its an absolute disaster and they wont come remotely close to being a playoff team anytime soon. They need another Zub. They have puck transporters in Sanderson and Chabot they need more legit physical shut down guys that can play top 4 minutes.
Agree
Problem is finding one
All the Paraykos of this world are highly highly in demand

Reactions: bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agree, I imagine they see JBD as a defensive defenceman who can play in the top 4 maybe with Sanderson once Hamonic is done. And a 3rd pairing of Kleven & Thomson another 1st rder I expect they would like to see make the team sooner rather than later. This of course would make them quite young on the back end but they eventually have to play or get traded. I think unless they get another big body on defence they are going to be rather soft on the backend.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - Thomson

• Haha
Reactions: NB613 and bert

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

I'm not trying to diminish Drysdale but when you are doing a comparison with another player or choosing which one to draft, only one can win.

it came off bad, not saying i know more than most NHL teams, but I also don't think they are always infallible and in this instance it seems I and those two scouts had the better read on the two players vs the consensus.

But really most NHL teams should have had Sanderson above Drysdale.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Agree, I imagine they see JBD as a defensive defenceman who can play in the top 4 maybe with Sanderson once Hamonic is done. And a 3rd pairing of Kleven & Thomson another 1st rder I expect they would like to see make the team sooner rather than later. This of course would make them quite young on the back end but they eventually have to play or get traded. I think unless they get another big body on defence they are going to be rather soft on the backend.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - Thomson

I hope we don't pencil in Kleven just because he's exactly what the back end needs in a physical big player. But that player still has to be able to think the game at the NHL level and Kleven has massive question marks in that regard.

I havent seen him play this year, but in his third year now, bigger, stronger than everyone and also has wheels but 1 point and -8 in 10 games is a big yikes so far.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not trying to diminish Drysdale but when you are doing a comparison with another player or choosing which one to draft, only one can win.

it came off bad, not saying i know more than most NHL teams, but I also don't think they are always infallible and in this instance it seems I and those two scouts had the better read on the two players vs the consensus.

But really most NHL teams should have had Sanderson above Drysdale.
Drysdale was a star in his draft year. I dont think you could go wrong with either and I still dont. Really too bad about his injury. Just happy Ottawa got one of them as well as Stutzle. I think its very early to start judging this draft class. HF really likes to jump to conclusions. Look whats going on with Byfield he was a late August birthday and late bloomer in general. He was always going to take a while to develop and people are already labelling him a bust. Strange when you see so many players take longer to develop.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

2. Imagine if they trade for Karlsson his cap hit prevents the sens from extending Sanderson. Who were just seeing scratch the surface like all the draft picks from the 2020 draft.
1. Re: they can both be great you know

I've noticed that phenomena a fair bit on HF. Some like to build up their guy by tearing down his counterpart. It always seemed a little strange to me, and like you said, both can be good. It's not binary where one has to be good while the other is bad.

2. Re: Imagine if they trade for Karlsson his cap hit prevents the sens from extending Sanderson.

That's a good point. Our fan base seems very reactive now. Its like there's no plan or need for a plan or strategy and let's just go get this guy because he's good and/or having a good season.

I hope Dorion and company think a lot more about who compliments and would be a good partner for Chabot & Sanderson. Methot was a pretty good partner for Karlsson even though he wasn't a stud defender in a lot of respects. Karlsson is great but he's adding a lot of what we have already. I hope they are thinking about complimentary partners and playing styles a lot more so that we can leverage and get the best and optimal results from some of the core guys we already have versus let's panic and "go grab this guy". Hockey is a team game. This is where having a thoughtful & cogent strategy comes in to play versus just being reactive. And like you say, there is a cap that has to be managed as well so that's a key component and element in the plan as well. So, another benefit about finding a good partner is that it could end up saving a lot of money and cap space as well (that would be secondary versus the primary reason, yet it's still important and advantageous).

The only thing that gives me pause is if Chabot is not part of the long term plan now.

Reactions: Yak and bert

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I hope we don't pencil in Kleven just because he's exactly what the back end needs in a physical big player. But that player still has to be able to think the game at the NHL level and Kleven has massive question marks in that regard.

I havent seen him play this year, but in his third year now, bigger, stronger than everyone and also has wheels but 1 point and -8 in 10 games is a big yikes so far.
The whole team is really struggling. Their overall save percentage is 0.879, good for 56th in the country, out of 60ish teams. That might have something to do with the +-.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad