Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Anaheim being higher on Sanderson than Drysdale alone should have been enough to put Sanderson higher on our list.

Put a dozen quality NHL D in the league since 2008
Mountour, Manson, Theodore, Lindholm, Vatanen, Wiesniewski, Ryan Whitney, and of course Jacob Larsson.

Anaheim really does have a good record of D developing

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Anaheim being higher on Sanderson than Drysdale alone should have been enough to put Sanderson higher on our list.

Not a better team in the league at drafting and developing young D. Put a dozen quality NHL D in the league since 2008 and in their system Mintyukov, Zellweger, Thrun, Luneau, Warren, LaCombe, Moore and Hinds all look like potential NHL D.
Anaheim didn’t draft him but they’ve also got drew helleson in their system who looks like he’s going to be a good nhl player too

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
ya don't play games if the guy is willing lock him up this summer, this guy is showing signs of someone who can get into the 10's

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sanderson has been Ottawa's best defenceman so far this yr, he makes mistakes as expected by a rookie but he makes up for them pretty quickly. I don't mind him with Hamonic, they make a decent tandem, it's some of the others that seem to have problems, Larsson is no longer an NHL player, Holden is getting older & slower, Zaitsev is done, Brannstrom continues to get overpowered & JBD as a rookie is having his ups & downs. Maybe we'll see Thomson up here soon.

Reactions: bert and NB613

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Future Norris winner, book it.
Don't know about winner but probably a finalist, top 5.
i thought he would be our best player eventually, i didn't expect it 20 games into his NHL career lol. what a player.

I think like Karlsson he is going to keep shattering our expectations for him.
The scary thing, is that you can start to see the confidence growing more and more with the puck. At first he was probable over passing. Today he was putting puck on net and shooting way more.

That's a sign of confidence. He belong, he doesn't have to pass it all the time. He can make plays himself

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Going to be our #1 defencemen next year. Will be interesting to see how a new coach handles him. Sanderson seems to be the kind of guy who coaches adore as he seems to be constantly trying to improve his reads and positioning. Give him a competent coach who knows what they're doing on the back end and he could become an absolute monster.

I also hope Chabot's pride and competitiveness can handle being second fiddle to a better player.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Going to be our #1 defencemen next year. Will be interesting to see how a new coach handles him. Sanderson seems to be the kind of guy who coaches adore as he seems to be constantly trying to improve his reads and positioning. Give him a competent coach who knows what they're doing on the back end and he could become an absolute monster.

I also hope Chabot's pride and competitiveness can handle being second fiddle to a better player.

Honestly, he's the best D right now. He's proving to be better in both ends then Chabot already - defensively absolutely, and debatably offensively but I'd give him the edge there too.

Sometimes I wonder if Sanderson's presence has been part of the reason Chabot hasn't played his best this year. He's confused about having competition

Reactions: Dionysus

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sanderson could be the #1 D already. Its a little odd when you have had Chabot in that spot for years, but it is what it is. Sanderson is better defensively I think. He's not as sloppy and prone to as many mistakes. The future is bright for this kid, He's going to be one of the best defenders in the league very shortly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sanderson could be the #1 D already. Its a little odd when you have had Chabot in that spot for years, but it is what it is. Sanderson is better defensively I think. He's not as sloppy and prone to as many mistakes. The future is bright for this kid, He's going to be one of the best defenders in the league very shortly.
Chabot has really been struggling this year, I think he's picked up some bad habits the last few seasons, but the talent is still there. I really hope we can get him back to playing the way he can, because at his best he's able to do a lot of things that can help this team.

Reactions: NB613 and Alfie11

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Chabot has really been struggling this year, I think he's picked up some bad habits the last few seasons, but the talent is still there. I really hope we can get him back to playing the way he can, because at his best he's able to do a lot of things that can help this team.
That's what I hope for as well. It would be nice to see the old Chabot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His icetime worries me a bit. We can't forget, he's a kid coming out of college. Heavy minutes will catch up to him this season (until he gets used to it). I expect him to hit a wall in January. He's talented and smart enough to work through it, I have no doubt. The danger is an increased risk of injury while he's fatigued and getting his second wind after January.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
His icetime worries me a bit. We can't forget, he's a kid coming out of college. Heavy minutes will catch up to him this season (until he gets used to it). I expect him to hit a wall in January. He's talented and smart enough to work through it, I have no doubt. The danger is an increased risk of injury while he's fatigued and getting his second wind after January.
He’s 20 years old. Fatigue should be least of the concerns. His confidence could be impacted with increased ice time if he doesn’t play all that well. But he’s shown (at least so far), he can handle the icetime without major blunders.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its ok to have two number 1 D men. Thats typically what contenders have. Two pairs that are on the level of a regular teams #1.

If Chabot can regain his form this teams going to be in good shape. Really need him to play like he is capable of.

JBD has been solid. If Zub and Chabot come back I hope we see a top 6 of Chabot, Sanderson, Zub, JBD, Holden and Hamonic.

Brannstrom really struggles out there, he is the 7th guy when everyone is healthy. Too bad early season Brannstrom couldnt continue into the season.

He’s 20 years old. Fatigue should be least of the concerns. His confidence could be impacted with increased ice time if he doesn’t play all that well. But he’s shown (at least so far), he can handle the icetime without major blunders.
Yes but he has also never played 82 games. Mentally its alot. Really hard to get up for that many games and stay consistent if you've never done it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well wasn't by me and I'm betting it was the same for most NHL teams. Sanderson basically did everything better.

Everyone online was caught up in the hype of best OHL D since Doughty omggg. There's a huge Canadian bias in hockey, on this site and even amongst experts.
This is from Bob McKenzie’s final rankings.

“The No. 4 slot on TSN’s final list belongs to Erie Otter right defenceman Jamie Drysdale. Eight of 10 scouts ranked him in that position, giving him the nod as the consensus top blueliner available in this year’s draft. Drysdale was No. 4 on TSN’s mid-season list.
It’s worth noting, however, that the next-best defenceman, No. 8-ranked Jake Sanderson of the U.S. U-18 National Development Team Program, did have two of the 10 scouts rank him at No. 3, ahead of Drysdale. So Drysdale is the consensus top defenceman, but it’s not unanimous.”

2 of 10 teams had Sanderson higher, that’s not most NHL teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad