Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Why would you try to fix the one thing that isn’t broken on the back end. It’s silly.
If JBD can be a good partner for Chabot then normally I would say Hamonic should slot down to 3rd pair.

Would upgrade the 2nd pair quite a bit and help Sanderson continue to grow his game.

Hamonic should do better on 3rd pair and would still have a puck mover with him.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The way Sanderson angle his body in order to force player to go exactly where he want them is excellent.

Also, they way he plays the puck and the body at the same time. He truely is a smart defender.

I don't know what to say more, he simply is a great smart defenceman. He use his body to keep puck in the ozone. He is aggressive and it work like 9 time out of 10.

What will it be in 3 years with more strength and more experience and confidence?

We are bless to have him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
As GM, PD does NOT spend as much time as his scouting staff, watching and rating prospects …. And relies heavily on their assessments.
However, some people are calling for him to be fired asap, because of what they see as poor judgment on his part, for underperforming young players on the roster.

what you do NOT see, is the opposite, praise for players like Sanderson and Pinto, both who have exceeded the expectations of the majority of the fanbase.

you can’t have it both ways….. PD makes the final decision the draft table, as GM, if people are going to call for his firing for players A, B and C not meeting the expectations of fans….. these same fans should be calling for him to be extended for the play of players D, E and F.

Blame him all you want for poor trades and UFA signings, but the scouting staff should be held accountable for prospects that do not pan out, more so than the GM.

Reactions: Emrasie

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
As GM, PD does NOT spend as much time as his scouting staff, watching and rating prospects …. And relies heavily on their assessments.
However, some people are calling for him to be fired asap, because of what they see as poor judgment on his part, for underperforming young players on the roster.

what you do NOT see, is the opposite, praise for players like Sanderson and Pinto, both who have exceeded the expectations of the majority of the fanbase.

you can’t have it both ways….. PD makes the final decision the draft table, as GM, if people are going to call for his firing for players A, B and C not meeting the expectations of fans….. these same fans should be calling for him to be extended for the play of players D, E and F.

Blame him all you want for poor trades and UFA signings, but the scouting staff should be held accountable for prospects that do not pan out, more so than the GM.

You can give praise for Pinto, but there is no world where any GM or scouting staff in the entire league deserves praise for a top 5 pick being a good player.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
You can give praise for Pinto, but there is no world where any GM or scouting staff in the entire league deserves praise for a top 5 pick being a good player.
I still think they deserve some praise, as you can easily screw up a top 5 pick. What if they had picked Zadina instead of Tkachuk? What if they had taken Drysdale over Sanderson? They would be getting criticized for these mistakes. Here's an extreme example: Philly scouts wanted Makar, and Hextall overruled them and took Patrick. That colossal blunder could set the Flyers back 10 years!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
The FO basically made the call of Sanderson over Drysdale. History will tell whether that deserves praise or not. I think they made the right call. It's not like we're drafting 1st and it's a no brainer Crosby / McDavid pick anyone would make.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
The organizaton better be thanking its lucky stars that Sanderson's transition from college to pro has been rather seamless. If Sandy was showing the typical warts of a rookie defensemen this team would be in more trouble than they already are.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The FO basically made the call of Sanderson over Drysdale. History will tell whether that deserves praise or not. I think they made the right call. It's not like we're drafting 1st and it's a no brainer Crosby / McDavid pick anyone would make.
Drysdale would still be a good pick at 5 even if Sanderson turns out better, which I think he will. Nothing wrong with a bit of praise for selecting Sanderson who many had lower than Drysdale, but it was hardly an off the board pick, nor is the alternative a miss (pretty much everyone in the discussion at 5 that year looks good imo)

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

I appreciate Drysdale, but Sanderson over him was a no brainer and so was Stutzle at 3.

We're supposed to appreciate Dorion for no brain moves?

Reactions: NB613

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I appreciate Drysdale, but Sanderson over him was a no brainer and so was Stutzle at 3.

We're supposed to appreciate Dorion for no brain moves?

I think that first part is just a bit of an exaggeration.

Stutzle was an obvious call, Sanderson probably went a few spots higher than most expected and initial reaction on HFboards seemed quite mixed.

Why wouldn't Dorion get credited for making a non-obvious pick, or at what point are we allowed to judge Dorion's moves? I don't like Dorion, but I'm not going to move goalposts to make decisions that have worked out look like dumb luck. The smartest execs will still make bad moves and the dumbest ones will still make good moves. It's all pieces to the overall story and the Sanderson piece looks like it's trending to be one of the good pieces.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
That's a BS statement. At the time Drysdale was the higher rated player by many experts.

Well wasn't by me and I'm betting it was the same for most NHL teams. Sanderson basically did everything better.

Everyone online was caught up in the hype of best OHL D since Doughty omggg. There's a huge Canadian bias in hockey, on this site and even amongst experts.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Well wasn't by me and I'm betting it was the same for most NHL teams. Sanderson basically did everything better.

Everyone online was caught up in the hype of best OHL D since Doughty omggg. There's a huge Canadian bias in hockey, on this site and even amongst experts.
Do you have any sources or anything here? I mean I posted the Bob McKenzie list that surveys actual NHL teams that disproves that statement soooo...not sure what you're getting it.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Do you have any sources or anything here? I mean I posted the Bob McKenzie list that surveys actual NHL teams that disproves that statement soooo...not sure what you're getting it.

No just common sense since Sanderson was clearly a better prosect. Better passer, better IQ , better defensively, just as good of a skater, bigger and more physical etc

And there's also the fact that the two teams wanting to draft d in the range in Ottawa and Anaheim both wanted Sanderson.

I take bobs list with a grain of salt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No just common sense since Sanderson was clearly a better prosect. Better passer, better IQ , better defensively, just as good of a skater, bigger and more physical etc

And there's also the fact that the two teams wanting to draft d in the range in Ottawa and Anaheim both wanted Sanderson.

I take bobs list with a grain of salt.
I suspect Bob and the NHL scouts he interviewed take your opinion with a much bigger grain of salt,

How do you square this up with Boucher going 10th, apparently we had no interest in moving back because multiple teams were interested in him, NYR and if I recall CLB were rumoured to want him. Does that mean Boucher was the clear choice at 10?

Reactions: DueDiligence

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I suspect Bob and the NHL scouts he interviewed take your opinion with a much bigger grain of salt,

How do you square this up with Boucher going 10th, apparently we had no interest in moving back because multiple teams were interested in him, NYR and if I recall CLB were rumoured to want him. Does that mean Boucher was the clear choice at 10?

despite the the hype of Drysdale the two teams who were actually looking for d did some soul searching and both decided that the relatively unknown and late rising Sanderson was the guy. That and the clear advantages Sanderson has over Drysdale is enough for me.

There is always a delay in perception when it comes to a player hyped from the start and a late riser.

As for Boucher I don't think any team wanting to draft him were trying to get the best player available.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
despite the the hype of Drysdale the two teams who were actually looking for d did some soul searching and both decided that the relatively unknown and late rising Sanderson was the guy. That and the clear advantages Sanderson has over Drysdale is enough for me.

There is always a delay in perception when it comes to a player hyped from the start and a late riser.

As for Boucher I don't think any team wanting to draft him were trying to get the best player available.
This reaks of confirmation bias.

8 of 10 scouts ranked him 4th, but
The two that had Sanderson ahead are the only ones that apparently count...

I mean, I was higher on Sanderson myself, but I'm not about to re-write history and suggest that most NHL teams likely felt the same.

Reactions: DJB and PlayItAgain

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
This reaks of confirmation bias.

8 of 10 scouts ranked him 4th, but
The two that had Sanderson ahead are the only ones that apparently count...

I mean, I was higher on Sanderson myself, but I'm not about to re-write history and suggest that most NHL teams likely felt the same.

Id say its a bit revisionist as well. Though it later came out that Anaheim had Sanderson ranked higher most pundits (and fans) saw the Sanderson pick as a slight reach ~10th ranked to 5th pick. If you go back to his and Drysdale's pages on the prospect boards there is a lot of arguement for Sanderson being a massive reach even up until the end of his first WJC when Sandies team won gold.

While i think it was laughable to both call Sanderson a massive reach and crown Drysdale (and Ghule by some at the time) as better D prospects it was a shrewd few who saw him as the slam dunk he turned out to be.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I personally wanted Drysdale over Sanderson and mentally checked out of the draft after we picked Sanderson but am happily eating humble pie. Didn't see many scout reports where Sanderson was higher than Drysdale.

Reactions: DJB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Anaheim being higher on Sanderson than Drysdale alone should have been enough to put Sanderson higher on our list.

Not a better team in the league at drafting and developing young D. Put a dozen quality NHL D in the league since 2008 and in their system Mintyukov, Zellweger, Thrun, Luneau, Warren, LaCombe, Moore and Hinds all look like potential NHL D.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad