Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Maybe a bit of a reach here, but when they write the 2020 redraft article again in a few years, I think it'll be 1 Tim, 2 Jake. He's already so calm, and he hasn't even gotten up to speed yet. When he learns the league and his teammates, he's going to dominate. He may not put up Makar or Fox points, but he'll prevent more goals than anyone.

Yup. I wouldnt be surprised to see Jake first on most impactful.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Jake the snake is progressing very well imo

After 5 games, 3 assists +2 and lots of extremely high IQ plays

He’s already having a big impact on this team
He isn't even trying yet.

He is content to move the puck to his partner or make the very simple play at the moment.

Once he feels really comfortable and starts to stretch those legs in transition and hold the puck in the offensive zone good things are going happen an awful lot.

We have seen Pinto emerge a bit with loads of room to go but Sandy has barely dipped his toe in so far.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Love this kid. Amazing start for both him and Pinto. Thank you UND.

That is an insane statistic. He looks soooo good out there, like it is all too easy.

Last night he had 3 Stars on him in the corner, they won the puck but then he won it back and made the softest little touch pass to our guy and we broke out 3-2...it was amazing.

Thanks goodness he isn't learning all of this in the AHL! Choke down that steak!

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I think his stats haven't even fully reflected it either. Not 100% sure on this, but I think on two goals against Washington? he started the play, but there was one too many passes, so he missed the assist. Not only that, but he went off on a change and didn't even get the plus.

But the biggest not fully quantified thing is the huge difference maker he is on possession. Ends opposing possessions and starts Ottawa's.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What makes a good defenseman?

“Berry says the coaching staff would always look for three things with defenceman in their own zone.

Would they be willing to skate hard to be the first guy on the puck? Could they find an open teammate and make a smart pass? And if that wasn’t available, could they skate the puck out of trouble themselves?”

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The only reason why this tean is where it is. He is pretty much the Calder and MVP candidate on this team

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I don't quite understand how he's playing under 20 minutes per game. Seems like an easy solution to Chabot's over usage.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I don't quite understand how he's playing under 20 minutes per game. Seems like an easy solution to Chabot's over usage.
He's 20 years old. He starts playing 20-21 min. a game, I don't think we'd be as enamored with him. Of course it might be a different story in two-three months as he gets more and more comfortable. Personally, I thought he struggled a bit against the Wild as the whole team did. They were under the gun from the drop of the puck.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm fine with Sanderson seeing below 20 minutes a game, unless the additional minutes are coming on the PP. If we're shaving PP minutes off Chabot since he's a bit off, I'd rather those go to Brannstrom before Sanderson. No need to add more to Sanderson's work load imo, especially if its anything 5 on 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I don't get it. We could cut 2 mins of Chabot's ES TOI/GP and he'd still be top 10 in the league. He's got close to a min more than 2nd place.

Sanderson should be getting more 5v5 time.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
First time playing 20 minutes in a game since game 3 in the season and he looked already. More time for Sanderson DJ, only way we're going to know how he is in certain situations (PP, extra attacker, etc..), is giving him a change while we don't have Zub. Plus Chabot's been shit so we don't have much to lose by keeping Sanderson closer to 20 minutes per game.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
He had his most active offensive game of the season tonight and you can see the confidence building with every game. Our PP movement was finally clicking and it was mostly because of his usage down low on the right side which is an interesting formation, he was essentially running the pp as a distributor from just outside Norris' spot. I'll give some credit to DJ for that set up and I hope to see more of it.

His increase in minutes was mostly due to his pp time, nearly 2 minutes more tonight than his average pp usage.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
They finally put Sandy and Branny on the PP together with Sanderson down low and in the short stints were very good together.

Sanderson is certainly more comfortable in the offensive zone but I am anxious to see him wind it up from our end and rush the puck. Once he adds that he will be a complete menace all over.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
They finally put Sandy and Branny on the PP together with Sanderson down low and in the short stints were very good together.

Sanderson is certainly more comfortable in the offensive zone but I am anxious to see him wind it up from our end and rush the puck. Once he adds that he will be a complete menace all over.

These two are the sole reason our pp2 looked better then our pp1 last night.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Sandy wanted the one-timer from the low half-wall but never got the pass. Same too because his offensive instincts for NoDAK were great. I want him on PP1 tbh, give him a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad