Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
Seriously, a few rough preseason games and one rough season game and now it's time to talk about trading Chabot. But he was probably our best player from start to finish last year. Let's see where we're at in 10-20 games or so.
In my humble opinion, not even close. He was very inconsistent and hasn't played like he did 2 or 3 years ago.
I thought Zub was even better than him from start to finish.
He has changed over the past couple seasons and not for the better. Someone needs to light a fire under him and get him back to where we all want him to be. He can do it because he was there before so hope he does sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Alex1234

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Well, it looks like we’ve come full circle from being mad that we traded away our best players, to discussing trading our best players again.

I thought there would be some down time to actually watch the guys play together for a bit in between though!
Maybe we just think that's what happens naturally based on how things have gone the last few years. And that trading in real life is just like EA

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Maybe we just think that's what happens naturally based on how things have gone the last few years. And that trading in real life is just like EA
The funny thing is that we don’t actually need to trade anyone at all if we’re able to be a cap team. We can just roll as we are and keep everyone and see how far this ball rolls.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Other attributes aside, 2 games into his career and Jake is already a fantastic penalty killer. Even on the one PP goal against and they did that thing where they put the camera on a guy from the defensive side after a goal to make him look bad, he did everything right. Went into the corner with Auston freaking Matthews and managed to chip the puck to Hamonic who got it to Norris for a clear. Marner made a great play to strip Norris and eventually it became a 2 on 1 down low with Matthews and Nylander where Sanderson was the only Senator in the right position to defend it.

He's going to be a defensive stud, no question

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Other attributes aside, 2 games into his career and Jake is already a fantastic penalty killer. Even on the one PP goal against and they did that thing where they put the camera on a guy from the defensive side after a goal to make him look bad, he did everything right. Went into the corner with Auston freaking Matthews and managed to chip the puck to Hamonic who got it to Norris for a clear. Marner made a great play to strip Norris and eventually it became a 2 on 1 down low with Matthews and Nylander where Sanderson was the only Senator in the right position to defend it.

He's going to be a defensive stud, no question

He's got a great head for the game, and the wheels to get where he needs to be. Kid is going to be something with 200 games under his belt and his man strength.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Two good games. A lot of eyes on him last night and this kid doesn’t shy away from the spotlight. I cannot a debut as impressive as this in Ottawa, and he has a point too!

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
82 games at 20+ minutes will be interesting. There will likely be some low points but kid will be elite.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He needs to make better decisions with the puck under pressure, and he needs to get stronger, those are the only two areas I see needing growth right now. His skating, defending, transition, and jumping into the play are great, he has a good shot, and good instincts in all zones.

When this kid gets comfortable look out!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He needs to make better decisions with the puck under pressure, and he needs to get stronger, those are the only two areas I see needing growth right now. His skating, defending, transition, and jumping into the play are great, he has a good shot, and good instincts in all zones.

Once he gets some man strength maybe another 10 to 15 lbs of muscle he is going to be special. He's already very good just after two games.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Filling out will take some time, but I think the decision making is a matter of getting adjusted to the speed of the NHL. Which I don't think will take long for him

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Disgustingly talented at every facet of the game. As mentioned, he'll learn that he doesn't have quite as much time as he's used to and he's smart enough and talented enough to adjust.

Plus, veteran players were literally bouncing off him last night. He must have a great core- which is essential to all players.

Reactions: robsenz

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He is - Brann can run the PP. Chabot’s contract kicks into the $10’s too.

We should be able to get a massive package if we traded Chabot in 2-3 years. Another round of young picks and prospects that extends out window a few year and allows us to keep Pinto, Brann, and Greig or whoever is pricing themselves out.

Sanderson will probably be the minutes guy - playing half the game.

If we don’t trade Chabot we will be watching 2-3 really good young players walk away.

Unless one of those 2 or 3 young players end up being as good a defenseman as Chabot... he is pretty damned hard to replace.

This team needs Chabot. Sanderson could turn into a reincarnated nick Lindstrom and this team would still need Chabot.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Unless one of those 2 or 3 young players end up being as good a defenseman as Chabot... he is pretty damned hard to replace.

This team needs Chabot. Sanderson could turn into a reincarnated nick Lindstrom and this team would still need Chabot.

Yes - I think we only need to consider moving anyone (Chabot , Pinto, Greig, Bran, Lassi, Klevin, JBD, etc) if these young players develop into a position where they can demand a decent contract .

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
March? Is that how the younger crowd spells Christmas these days?

I love this kid and how he plays, but let's see how he handles the post-xmas dog days of the season, first. He's a college player who is suddenly being tossed into a situation where he could b playing upwards of 100 games this year.

He's going to hit the same wall all college kids do and have a month or two where he falls back to earth. I think March-April comeback and looking like the brightest cog on D by the end of the year isn't too over the top.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

If they end up as good as Chabot they should warrant $8 million contracts - and won’t be retained.

This is about if one player is worth $10 million and hypothetically two additional $1 million players for a totalling $12 million … or perhaps 3 bridge deals for $4 each, possibly Pinto, Brann, and Greig (or whoever).

No one will ever doubt if player “X” is good , but there should be the discussion on the best way to spend $10 million. Chabot makes Ten million soon.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If they end up as good as Chabot they should warrant $8 million contracts - and won’t be retained.

This is about if one player is worth $10 million and hypothetically two additional $1 million players for a totalling $12 million … or perhaps 3 bridge deals for $4 each, possibly Pinto, Brann, and Greig (or whoever).

No one will ever doubt if player “X” is good , but there should be the discussion on the best way to spend $10 million. Chabot makes Ten million soon.

If you look at the current roster construction and prospect pipeline, it's unlikely that Chabot becomes expendable, even if Sanderson surpasses him.

In 2-3 years if a decision has to be made, the odds have to be on Norris being the guy to go considering we could have Stützle - Pinto - Greig up the middle.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Salary doesn’t matter for teams up near the cap. Never hear you mention when salary is 4 Million for Chabot this year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you look at the current roster construction and prospect pipeline, it's unlikely that Chabot becomes expendable, even if Sanderson surpasses him.

In 2-3 years if a decision has to be made, the odds have to be on Norris being the guy to go considering we could have Stützle - Pinto - Greig up the middle.

I’m open to moving anyone if needed. All teams have to analyze what they have year too year and move the part that allows the team to be competitive. Norris is possible, but Greig, Batherson, or Pinto, Cat etc could be moved to. No one is untouchable beyond Brady and probably Jimmy in the short term.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Disgustingly talented at every facet of the game. As mentioned, he'll learn that he doesn't have quite as much time as he's used to and he's smart enough and talented enough to adjust.

Plus, veteran players were literally bouncing off him last night. He must have a great core- which is essential to all players.
He was one of the players at training camp that was said was the most fit, him & Kastelic.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad