Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I think Sanderson is going to make Chabot expendable in 1-2 years. He's going to be that good.

Well, then, DeBrincat makes Tkachuk expendable and Pinto makes Norris expendable

That's us saving 15 millions dollars

I would depart with those two, way before departing with a true #1 Defenseman

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why don’t we trade away Chabot, Norris and Tkachuk?

Think of the savings! We would have room to sign a bunch of other players!

• Haha
Reactions: Icelevel

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Only Stutzle and Sanderson should be untradeable.

But Chabot is pretty up there. Having two #1s on different pairs is dope.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Sanderson is going to make Chabot expendable in 1-2 years. He's going to be that good.

He is - Brann can run the PP. Chabot’s contract kicks into the $10’s too.

We should be able to get a massive package if we traded Chabot in 2-3 years. Another round of young picks and prospects that extends out window a few year and allows us to keep Pinto, Brann, and Greig or whoever is pricing themselves out.

Sanderson will probably be the minutes guy - playing half the game.

If we don’t trade Chabot we will be watching 2-3 really good young players walk away.

Last edited:
Reactions: DueDiligence

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Have thinking about the future Senators blueline.

If Brannstrom can continue to improve, Zub is resigned, and JBD & Thomson graduate, we have 6 defenders. Its an optimistic scenario for sure, but I found it at least a little interesting to ponder.

Who plays with who is where details come into play. Maybe Brannstrom can play the right side with Sanderson?

The upside if all this occurred is that we definitely have the money to sign Debrincat and Zub (and Pinto).

We also have Kleven in the pipeline, although this post is focused on the near future.

Part of the thought process is you have to give young defenders time to learn and hone their craft at the NHL level. Patience is required especially with young defenders.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Not sure why people are calling Chabot a #1. He certainly hasn't played like a #1 for a while now.

I do think Sandy will unquestionably be one, though.

Reactions: Schmautz11

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Not sure why people are calling Chabot a #1. He certainly hasn't played like a #1 for a while now.

he's a #1 on a weak blueline. Kind of reminds me when Turris was our #1C. He wouldnt be on most teams, but here he is.

Im a big chabby fan. I just dont think he is a #1 on a cup contender.

If Chabot can get pushed to the 2nd pair, we're in heaven.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Have thinking about the future Senators blueline.

If Brannstrom can continue to improve, Zub is resigned, and JBD & Thomson graduate, we have 6 defenders. Its an optimistic scenario for sure, but I found it at least a little interesting to ponder.

Who plays with who is where details come into play. Maybe Brannstrom can play the right side with Sanderson?

The upside if all this occurred is that we definitely have the money to sign Debrincat and Zub (and Pinto).

We also have Kleven in the pipeline, although this post is focused on the near future.

Part of the thought process is you have to give young defenders time to learn and hone their craft at the NHL level. Patience is required especially with young defenders.
With every day that passes, the likelihood that Zub re-signs gets smaller.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Chabot is absolutely a #1, but he's a mid-tier version. There's no question he is one of the top 30 D in the NHL. Safe to say he's top 20 without much argument. He's just not that dominant #1 who does everything. Sanderson will be.

Trading Chabot would not be good though. You win cups with a solid back end so if you have to sacrifice blue chip forwards to keep him, you do. It's been 5 mins since the conversation was ADDING Chychrun and now we're discussing trading Chabot? Only if they're getting a close to equivalent right side D in return which is not likely.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot is an upper-tier number 1.

We just havent seen it yet since last season. Yall forget the start of last season. Absolute force he was in both ends. We moved him away from Zub and then the agony continued.

He also played 25+ 30 minute games last night.

Next highest... Burns... played 8. He's a bit worn down. He'll get his footing and he will likely be Conn Smythe finalist or winner in any cup run we make in next 3-4 years.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

He was a number 1 as recently as last year. That’s not that long ago.

In reality, Sanderson will be great for Chabot. He was overplayed on a horrible team these last few years.

People are too quick to pump up Pinto and Sanderson while questioning Norris and Chabot, who have got it done at the NHL level already. The more good players, the better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chabot is absolutely a #1, but he's a mid-tier version. There's no question he is one of the top 30 D in the NHL. Safe to say he's top 20 without much argument. He's just not that dominant #1 who does everything. Sanderson will be.

Trading Chabot would not be good though. You win cups with a solid back end so if you have to sacrifice blue chip forwards to keep him, you do. It's been 5 mins since the conversation was ADDING Chychrun and now we're discussing trading Chabot? Only if they're getting a close to equivalent right side D in return which is not likely.

The idea of trading by Chabot is only considered to mitigate who else we have to give away.

We also need a 3C, 3-4,Damn, etc etc.

Chabot may slot himself into a role where he isn’t the 1D, he isn’t the 1DPK, he isn’t driving PP1… he literally may just be a really good 2D and we may value a 3C or whatever more going forward.

I’m not seeing much in Zub that warrants a big commitment but if we lose Zub we lose him for nothing where Chabot or Pinto types down the road should warrant a hefty return.

DJ used Sanderson on the PP in his first game. I think that should tell us where this is going.

Sanderson may be the best player to come out of 2020 - he will be this teams 1D in the same was Jimmy is the 1C.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
With every day that passes, the likelihood that Zub re-signs gets smaller.
It's possible, you never know. I'm certainly not a clairvoyant. Got to acknowledge its possible though of course.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Chabot drives offence from the back-end as well as anyone in the league. He is absolutely a #1.

He's a top 15-20 D in the league and has potential to be better. A weak game and a tendency to make mistakes in his 110th on-ice minute of the week do not factor into the analysis.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Chabot is a lower tier #1 Dman. He's not on anyone's top 10 list and rarely is seen as a top 20 Dman in the league. He certainly can make some great plays but makes as many boneheaded plays and I can't remember the last time he dominated in a game. Since EK left there has been no blueliner on the Sens that his near his ability so he does stand out. But if Sanderson keeps growing and showing something special it will help fans see that Chabot is a good to very good Dman but not a great one.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Moving Chabot is the worst move we could make. Our D is pretty bad as it is so moving our best guy would be ridiculous
You don't move Chabot now. That would be crazy. But in 2 years before his NMC kicks in? Now that's a possibility.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
He was a number 1 as recently as last year. That’s not that long ago.

In reality, Sanderson will be great for Chabot. He was overplayed on a horrible team these last few years.

People are too quick to pump up Pinto and Sanderson while questioning Norris and Chabot, who have got it done at the NHL level already. The more good players, the better.
Seriously, a few rough preseason games and one rough season game and now it's time to talk about trading Chabot. But he was probably our best player from start to finish last year. Let's see where we're at in 10-20 games or so.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, it looks like we’ve come full circle from being mad that we traded away our best players, to discussing trading our best players again.

I thought there would be some down time to actually watch the guys play together for a bit in between though!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You don't move Chabot now. That would be crazy. But in 2 years before his NMC kicks in? Now that's a possibility.

And we are back in a situation where our D is trash.

No guarantees Sanderson is elite and he can’t play a full 60.

Moving Chabot is a terrible idea unless he significantly regresses

Reactions: Senovision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad