Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For what it's worth:

Sanderson:
5on5:
xGF% Rel: 13.81
Raw xGF%: 60.68

Drysdale:
5on5:
xGF% Rel: -1.76
Raw xGf%: 36.27

PK:
Sanderson:
Raw xGA/60: 16.18
Rel xGA/60: 15.72

Drysdale:
Raw xGA/60: 8.74
Rel xGA/60: 0.34

Drysdale has been better on PK, but I feel that's more of a fault of DJ's system than anything. Sanderson in this short sample size has been far superior 5on5 though. Yes Drysdale does not play on a good team, yes he's practically fed to the wolves, but you can tell he's clearly struggling in his role. Sanderson so far looks comfortable in his and his role hasn't been easy to say the least.

1666189627640.png

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I really wanted Drysdale at the time, but warmed up to Sanderson after reading and watching about his skating. Alas, now that Drysdale is on the quacks, I can't ever root for his success

Reactions: hansottawa

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Top 3 rookie in NHL for TOI per game
At the end of the season I'm sure the top minute rookies will be Sanderson, Power, and Guhle. Already have Seider and Dahlin as young stud D in the Atlantic, going to be crazy seeing all these guys going head to head quite often for the near future.

Reactions: Alex1234

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Sanderson seems to be a version of Chabot with his skating & Redden with his passing. He is going to be a star along with Pinto, both are going to be great for Ottawa.
I like the Redden comparison. I remember when Pierre Gauthier made the trade for Redden and said that he had ice blood in his veins. Sanderson has that too. Not related but Gauthier also said he would've picked Redden #1 over Berard.

Sanderson does so many smart little things as well. When he goes to retrieve the puck behind the goal line with back pressure, sometimes he will angle his skates in one direction to make it look like he's going to go in that direction, then at the last minute will change the angle and go the other way. It's a subtle fake that won't get noticed by many. It's very effective but you need great technique to pull it off and Jake makes it look so easy you don't notice

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like the Redden comparison. I remember when Pierre Gauthier made the trade for Redden and said that he had ice blood in his veins. Sanderson has that too Not related but Gauthier also said he would've picked Redden #1 over Berard.

Sanderson does so many smart little things as well. When he goes to retrieve the puck behind the goal line with back pressure, sometimes he will angle his skates in one direction to make it look like he's going to go in that direction, then at the last minute will change the angle and go the other way. It's a subtle fake that won't get noticed by many. It's very effective but you need great technique to pull it off and Jake makes it look so easy you don't notice
Yes, his vision & hockey IQ are through the roof, Pinto is pretty damn good too at forward, he already does all of the little things well & will only get better.

Reactions: R We A Team

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He still needs to adjust a bit to the NHL level forwards, there have been a couple times where a guy seems to get a step on him for one reason or another, but he does so many things like a seasoned vet already that I'm sure he's going to adapt quickly.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This might sound stupid but he sorta reminds me of a mix between Karlsson and Doughty.

Not as good offensively as EK and not as heavy to play against as Drew, but a solid balance of both.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn’t see the game. What happened? Is there video? Didn’t see it in the highlights
Someone went in for a check (I think it was Dowd), their stick got up high on him, then Hamonic went after him a bit, coincidental roughing minors were called if I recall. No call on the original play, Sanderson missed 3 or 4 shifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Dowd also turtled…. And then the team turned up the physicality and started hitting everything that moved which culminated into a few epic shifts where we were knocking everyone on their asses. Pure physical domination.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Maybe a bit of a reach here, but when they write the 2020 redraft article again in a few years, I think it'll be 1 Tim, 2 Jake. He's already so calm, and he hasn't even gotten up to speed yet. When he learns the league and his teammates, he's going to dominate. He may not put up Makar or Fox points, but he'll prevent more goals than anyone.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad