Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Sandy wanted the one-timer from the low half-wall but never got the pass. Same too because his offensive instincts for NoDAK were great. I want him on PP1 tbh, give him a shot.
Yeah Chabot needs to be taken of the PP. Especially when he isnt “clicking” like last night.

Zero excuse to not have Sanderson and Branny step in more.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Awesome seeing Sandy on the PP half-wall last night.

PP and 5v5 he has come very close to his first goal. In general starting to invoke his offensive game. This kid will be a stud, he will be our first line LD at some point, no doubt in my mind.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Sanderson is pushing towards the #1D on this team.
He should be eating some of Chabot's #1 PP time soon.
It seems crazy even with such expected upside but it's true.

Chabot averaging 7mins more per night but tied in points with 5 each. Not a great stat I know and context important but Chabby -4 and Jake +5

By mid-season he could be making a lot of noise for rookie of the year.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
This talk of trading Chabot needs to end. We have the potential to have a scary team moving forward.
I mean, that's assuming Chabot starts playing well, no?

Because there's certainly a world where Chabot never really lives up to his contract now that we have a decent team. He can't hide behind everyone else sucking now.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I mean, that's assuming Chabot starts playing well, no?

Because there's certainly a world where Chabot never really lives up to his contract now that we have a decent team. He can't hide behind everyone else sucking now.
Even still he can play on the 2nd pair once Sanderson is ready and gives a 1A/1B combo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Love this kid. Amazing start for both him and Pinto. Thank you UND.

Sanderson & Pinto have been great & both should be in the Calder talk. The good news is that we have two more UND alumni coming that learned the game at the defencemen factory University who should improve this defence over time. We'll get to see a lot of JBD this yr & hopefully we get to see Kleven next yr.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just last year these models - chance of developing into a star or even an NHLer(!) - had laughingly conservative protections. 11 games later I would love to see the reassessment.

You're talking about nhle models. Not the same thing.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
You're talking about nhle models. Not the same thing.
TopDownHockey's prospect model is based on NHLe, but the definition of a star player or NHL player is based on WAR. Other prospect models use NHLe to predict points, but TopDownHockey uses points to predict WAR.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
What a game by Sandy last night.

Incredible defending, continues to incorporate his offensive game (more to come), great on the PK and PP, and his PP creativity leading to the Pinto goal from Giroux.

He is going to be a face of this Franchise.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Need to put Zub with Sanderson or get Sandy a better D partner than Hamonic.

I think a big reason for Sandy-Hamonic isn't necessarily that he's a great defender but that he's a guy Sandy can talk to and learn from. It's a lot harder when theres is a significant language barrier. Not sure Zub playing there instead is better for Sanderson in the long run.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a big reason for Sandy-Hamonic isn't necessarily that he's a great defender but that he's a guy Sandy can talk to and learn from. It's a lot harder when theres is a significant language barrier. Not sure Zub playing there instead is better for Sanderson in the long run.
Does partnering with a different guy prevent Hamonic from being a mentor? On ice communication is important, but Zub's english is better than he's being given credit for imo, he's fine on the ice. When they are on the bench, we have coaches that can help explain stuff, and the other D can help him too.

We need to get off this narrative that Hamonic is the only available partner for Sanderson.

Last edited:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I actually don't mind Hamonic on the team, but he should be our #5, not our #4.

I wouldn't mind trying JBD or Zub with Sanderson.

Reactions: bicboi64

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

What's better for Sanderson's development:

a) Playing with someone who speaks perfect English
b) Playing with someone who doesn't get hemmed in his own end and minimizes mistakes

I get having him with Hamonic in training camp and the first few games. But he's already shown that he's an uber-talent who has no problem playing in this league.

Sanderson-Hamonic should not be a hard rule.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I actually don't mind Hamonic on the team, but he should be our #5, not our #4.

I wouldn't mind trying JBD or Zub with Sanderson.
I agree, Hamonic is a #5 being asked to ply #4 and he's been decent enough for who he is, an aging shutdown defender. One thing I like about Hamonic is his ability to get the puck on net. If he still had some speed his defensive gaffs would be addressed. Would like to see him on other pairings, heck he shows more urgency than Chabot has whole season

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sanderson is pushing towards the #1D on this team.
He should be eating some of Chabot's #1 PP time soon.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind trying Sanderson with Zub as the top pair eventually and see how that works out. Then we could have Chabot & JBD as the 2nd pair.

At a minimum, If we reach a point where we know we are out of the playoffs, then why not try it out?

I'm hoping that reducing Chabot's minutes helps invigorate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad