Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
We should have a "guess Jake's return" contest.

I think it would already be done at a 2nd rounder. So must be ugly out there.

Imagine demanding what Jake's agent is demanding contract-wise, and the GM not being able to get a 2nd for your client. Like THAT is a sign of why the contract ask is outrageous.
We don’t know what he’s asking do we ,just because it’s more than the Bruins are willing to pay doesn’t mean another team wouldn’t.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
No progress on a contract extension? Yikes. I mean, at this rate you could sign him for a lower price. I at least thought conversations were happening. They should be happening.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
We should have a "guess Jake's return" contest.

I think it would already be done at a 2nd rounder. So must be ugly out there.

Imagine demanding what Jake's agent is demanding contract-wise, and the GM not being able to get a 2nd for your client. Like THAT is a sign of why the contract ask is outrageous.
Im not so sure its only his agent, Im thinking Jake wants to go home

Get what you can for him. His ask is too high.
Yep. I'd send him packing.

Reactions: Number8

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No progress on a contract extension? Yikes. I mean, at this rate you could sign him for a lower price. I at least thought conversations were happening. They should be happening.

How do you know they can sign him for a lower price? Do you know Jake and/or his agent's ask? And do you know there are no conversations? Maybe they're just really far apart in value.

DeBrusk's camp could very well could be using theoretical FA numbers as their "comparables" in negotiations.

I'd sign him on a 1 or 2 year deal for around $5 million at this point. Adding more money and term is crazy. When is he actually going to live up to anywhere close to his talent?

I keep hearing that we shouldn't let him go because he will inevitably "pop off" in Edmonton. He very well may. But that's not reason to keep him here. He hasn't proven himself to be any sort of consistent producer despite countless opportunities.

God forbid this team actually gets bad. I can't imagine how bad he would look some nights if the Bruins weren't even a playoff team.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It’s common sense

Pierre is telling us nothing we don’t already know

Are the Bruins better off just riding it out here that’s the question

I’m DeBrusk I’m going to FA

I’m GM of Edmonton I want my top 5 F core: McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, and DeBrusk

I’ve if GM already spoken to Louie about this and Jake and agent know

I’d be great to just flip him for Hanifin but Calgary can’t do without an extension and DeBrusk should have eyes on his home town team
Probably so.

Is that sort of thing on League’s radar? I’m not naive, I know this sort of thing happens, but does League pay particular attention to this kind of stuff?

What I’m getting at is that although Louie is obviously closely tied to EDM through his job, could any GM just take a flyer and talk to a friend/family member (whatever) of player X and “send a message” (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Jake has to be moved. It won't be as dumb as Louie Erickson but dumb enough Sweeney is gutless and can't stand up to Papa Jacobs in his one playoff game Angry.
JJ is going to get two home games at minimum this year. He’s also a businessman. He knows Jake has some value (even as an unsigned UFA at TDL). I assume he also has to suspect that Jake isn’t going to sign in Boston for money Sweeney thinks is value for money (again, I’m assuming this — don’t know obviously).

Accordingly I’d bet he’d be open to trading him to get something back at least.

I guess the question is how would that go down in the room. I’m assuming players know that odds are long for this year in terms of Cup chances?

Lots of assumptions here, I know……..

My gut. Ship him out.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
How do you know they can sign him for a lower price? Do you know Jake and/or his agent's ask? And do you know there are no conversations? Maybe they're just really far apart in value.

DeBrusk's camp could very well could be using theoretical FA numbers as their "comparables" in negotiations.

I'd sign him on a 1 or 2 year deal for around $5 million at this point. Adding more money and term is crazy. When is he actually going to live up to anywhere close to his talent?

I keep hearing that we shouldn't let him go because he will inevitably "pop off" in Edmonton. He very well may. But that's not reason to keep him here. He hasn't proven himself to be any sort of consistent producer despite countless opportunities.

God forbid this team actually gets bad. I can't imagine how bad he would look some nights if the Bruins weren't even a playoff team.

You wrote this entire paragraph and I never said all of what you're replying to.

I think Donnie may have an opportunity to re-sign him for lower than what we would of thought at this time last year. I'm sure they negotiating. But if his agent is asking astronomical numbers, that's not gonna cut it. He has to decide. Jake has said he wants to stay. We'll see if that's true. If he's asking for 6+ at this current moment, he's not getting it here, that's for sure.

One way or another this will be resolved.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Probably so.

Is that sort of thing on League’s radar? I’m not naive, I know this sort of thing happens, but does League pay particular attention to this kind of stuff?

What I’m getting at is that although Louie is obviously closely tied to EDM through his job, could any GM just take a flyer and talk to a friend/family member (whatever) of player X and “send a message” (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)?
I would lol

Reactions: Number8

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You wrote this entire paragraph and I never said all of what you're replying to.

I think Donnie may have an opportunity to re-sign him for lower than what we would of thought at this time last year. I'm sure they negotiating. But if his agent is asking astronomical numbers, that's not gonna cut it. He has to decide. Jake has said he wants to stay. We'll see if that's true. If he's asking for 6+ at this current moment, he's not getting it here, that's for sure.

One way or another this will be resolved.
I don’t think he’s traded because i can’t see him signing an extension thereby making his value to stay here

Then he would have to go on a hellacious run

I’ll miss him but you can flip Zacha to LW opposite Pasta and get a playmaker at center

I’ve said before I’m Ken Holland I offer Jake the RNH/Hyman deal

I’d love to see him with McDavid

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I mean, I think in all likelihood he's gone regardless.

If teams are so unwilling to pay a fair price that's in line with comparable players and trades, what makes us so sure Jake won't take a contract here that's reasonable in the end? We played this dance with Bertuzzi too, how's that working out for Toronto?

I don't want this to become an Eriksson situation, but I imagine Sweeney has more room to make this a hockey trade in a series of movies versus just getting a pick lower than his value and moving on.

Overpaying him, or letting him walk away for nothing is grosser IMO. This team doesn't have enough picks or prospects to get nothing for him.

yes, but, see my response to Chuck above

I'd rather a prospect too than a pick, for that matter.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Not sure who his agent is, but I am guessing their asking price is way too high. For a player who is inconsistent, they may find the market dried up like it was for Bertuzzi last summer.

Reactions: goldnblack

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I talked about this yesterday. Talks are continuing but the Bruins are getting calls (initiated by other teams).

I fail to see at this point that the two sides can bridge the gap. I mean, they've had 5 months to bridge it.

Not sure who his agent is, but I am guessing their asking price is way too high. For a player who is inconsistent, they may find the market dried up like it was for Bertuzzi last summer.
Rick Valette.

Right now, JDB is his second highest paid client, behind (an Oiler) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If teams are so unwilling to pay a fair price that's in line with comparable players and trades, what makes us so sure Jake won't take a contract here that's reasonable in the end? We played this dance with Bertuzzi too, how's that working out for Toronto?

I don't want this to become an Eriksson situation, but I imagine Sweeney has more room to make this a hockey trade in a series of movies versus just getting a pick lower than his value and moving on.

yes, but, see my response to Chuck above

I'd rather a prospect too than a pick, for that matter.
Is a second rounder really lower than his value though? I don't think so

The dance they played with Bertuzzi was entirely different, in that they brought him in as a rental instead of trying to pawn him off as one. They didn't have the chance to table Bertuzzi an offer until the very end of the deal he was still on. They've had Debrusk a while. They know who he is and what his contract ask is. If the deal was there to be made they'd have already made it.

it sounds to me like you're suggesting they let Debrusk hit free agency and then watch as he comes crawling back to take whatever Boston will offer. I'm sure somebody will offer more, unwisely. I'd rather just take the 2nd rounder and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad