Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
As someone who wanted DeBrusk dealt a loooong time ago, I find this thread refreshing.

I was very vocal in 2015 about drafting Barzal over him so this is bittersweet but hopefully the end of his chapter here. I legitimately wish him well.
Getting rid of a player that can put up 40 points a season that kills penalties that has played up and down the line-up, who gets very little power play time is not a good move.

His salary is peanuts for what he produces. Is he boom or bust on most nights? sure so isn't 75% of this roster.

The ONLY way I do trade Jake is if he can't come to term on an extension otherwise he's a player you hold on to.

Honestly not sure why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over this kid when he is waaaaay down on my list of this teams roster problems.

Just my humble opinion but for a team that lacks talent I don't just give this kid away before trying hard to get him to agree to a team friendly deal, and if he's willing? you sign him.

Reactions: whitetape

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
DeBrusk is an established NHL player with 20+ goal potential. Draft picks are a crap shot. There is no guarantee that the draft pick(s) will ever play in the NHL. Should DeBrusk be traded the return needs to be a proven NHL player of equal ability, not simply a draft pick(s).

I'll repeat, the Bruins need to receive a proven NHL player in return for DeBrusk, not draft picks alone. Packaging DeBrusk with another player / asset(s) may be required to help leverage the quality of the return. And the Bruins Must get a return for DeBrusk.

Sweeney can not let simply let DeBrusk walk at the end of the season. Still the question remains will he trade DeBrusk or risk being forced to possibly over pay to retain this asset; of which there is no guarantee Sweeney will be able to sign him.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think this story is much larger than it seems.

*I* think Don has been trying to move JDB for several years now and just not gotten any offers that were not lowball ones. Better to keep an assest who has higher value to you than to let him go for less value in return. The problem is Jakes value to other teams has not really increased.
I could see Don keeping him as an own rental. However, given his response to such situations in the past he might just skate through his last few months here.

Dont know about you, but I would rather have a player here who wants to play and will do so reliably.

It wouldn't be in DeBrusk's interests just to glide out the season even if he knows he's no longer wanted and/or wants to go elsewhere. As you said, his value hasn't increased of late, so it's not like the hard yards have already been done and he can now just wait it out for a nice big pay day. It may well be that he already has something on the table, for example if the Oilers or whoever have assured him they want to sign him and pay him x amount but not 'til the offseason. In that case he could just drift along, but it seems unlikely.

That said, human nature is fickle, and if Jake knows his time in Boston is drawing to a close, one way or another, it may negatively affect his mindset and his play even if it's counterproductive. And in that sense I agree with you - if Jake really wants to stay and the Bruins do too then get a deal done, otherwise if either party is lukewarm then get busy and find what value you can by bringing in someone/s who really wants to commit to Boston. Act one way or the other, prevaricating helps nobody.

My impression has always been that DeBrusk likes being a Bruin, and he's committed to it and the team in his own way, but it's not heart and soul for him. I can easily imagine him in another jersey. He's different than, say, Gryz, who for various pretty obvious reasons really seems desperate to stay in Boston. For better or worse, and speculation aside, my gut says he's out the door. In which case it's on the GM to not screw up how that happens and to optimize the parting. However I was also fairly convinced that Jake was gone in 2021, yet here we are. It could well be that even at this late hour the outcome is not set in stone.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
for the love of god please do not "own rental" Jake ...time to move on
They aren’t concerned

Boston his first choice

If he has a big March April playoffs they could keep him

It’s different with him than other guys

I’m Sweeney I ride with him and after season access - Jake wants to stay so this isn’t really a classic rental he’s gone

fact not my opinion

Reactions: whitetape

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
They aren’t concerned

Boston his first choice

If he has a big March April playoffs they could keep him

It’s different with him than other guys

I’m Sweeney I ride with him and after season access - Jake wants to stay so this isn’t really a classic rental he’s gone

fact not my opinion
I can honestly see this happening ... doesn't mean I have to like it! I want him gone sooner than later.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think this story is much larger than it seems.

*I* think Don has been trying to move JDB for several years now and just not gotten any offers that were not lowball ones. Better to keep an assest who has higher value to you than to let him go for less value in return. The problem is Jakes value to other teams has not really increased.
I could see Don keeping him as an own rental. However, given his response to such situations in the past he might just skate through his last few months here.

Dont know about you, but I would rather have a player here who wants to play and will do so reliably.

I’d be interested to hear what some of the offers for Jake have been. This is the 2nd time we have heard him in trade rumors and both times the leaks have been that there have been discussions, but teams are lowballing the bruins.

I’d want to know what the offers were. Is Sweeney over valuing Debrusk or are other teams undervaluing. Maybe a mix?

Reactions: TCB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I can honestly see this happening ... doesn't mean I have to like it! I want him gone sooner than later.
I’m choosing fascinating as my word to see how he and this team unfolds next 60 days

He better get hot

i thought 98 points 7th seed first round out in 6

They look like 108 1st or 2nd seed ???

They add a couple big pricks who will shove Tkachuk mouth guard down his throat I’ll take it

My feeling is Rangers are 1 seed the Bruins are 2 and draw TB and Noah Hanifin

Reactions: HustleB

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m choosing fascinating as my word to see how he and this team unfolds next 60 days

He better get hot

i thought 98 points 7th seed first round out in 6

They look like 108 1st or 2nd seed ???

They add a couple big pricks who will shove Tkachuk mouth guard down his throat I’ll take it

My feeling is Rangers are 1 seed the Bruins are 2 and draw TB and Noah Hanifin
They moved away from the 1-8 format a few years back!

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
DeBrusk is an established NHL player with 20+ goal potential. Draft picks are a crap shot. There is no guarantee that the draft pick(s) will ever play in the NHL. Should DeBrusk be traded the return needs to be a proven NHL player of equal ability, not simply a draft pick(s).

I'll repeat, the Bruins need to receive a proven NHL player in return for DeBrusk, not draft picks alone. Packaging DeBrusk with another player / asset(s) may be required to help leverage the quality of the return. And the Bruins Must get a return for DeBrusk.

Sweeney can not let simply let DeBrusk walk at the end of the season. Still the question remains will he trade DeBrusk or risk being forced to possibly over pay to retain this asset; of which there is no guarantee Sweeney will be able to sign him.

draft picks are trade currency....

I'd imagine they'd reflip the pick very often here.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Getting rid of a player that can put up 40 points a season that kills penalties that has played up and down the line-up, who gets very little power play time is not a good move.

His salary is peanuts for what he produces. Is he boom or bust on most nights? sure so isn't 75% of this roster.

The ONLY way I do trade Jake is if he can't come to term on an extension otherwise he's a player you hold on to.

Honestly not sure why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over this kid when he is waaaaay down on my list of this teams roster problems.

Just my humble opinion but for a team that lacks talent I don't just give this kid away before trying hard to get him to agree to a team friendly deal, and if he's willing? you sign him.

Would that not have already been done? Team friendly, sure I'll keep him and continue to bitch about him until he proves otherwise. But I don't think a team friendly deal is in the cards here

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In 2016, I hated the fact they held onto Eriksson instead of moving him for a 2nd rounder. I didn't like that year's Bruins team. Julien's time was already up and the eye-test said that was not a good team regardless of the standings at the time. I didn't see any point to further invest in their success that season.

Here in 2024 they are facing essentially the exact same scenario with Jake Debrusk.

My opinion is this is a good team. It's not perfect but no salary cap team is. So in that respect, unlike 2016, I am perfectly fine if they keep Debrusk for a playoff run and let him walk as UFA in the summer.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
trading jake for draft capital is a bit of a white flag on the season, no?

On the contrary I see it as recognizing & acknowledging the reality that this team is not nearly as good as its regular season record would indicate. They're certainly not a serious playoff team. One round and out.

Plus the Bruins need draft picks, they've traded a ton of them away the last few years & the cupboard is pretty bare.

Reactions: smithformeragent

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
trading jake for draft capital is a bit of a white flag on the season, no?

If you flip the trade capital for Hanafin, do you still think that?

Or if you trade your own picks because the Debrusk picks helped add capital (which amounts to the same result).

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
On the contrary I see it as recognizing & acknowledging the reality that this team is not nearly as good as its regular season record would indicate. They're certainly not a serious playoff team. One round and out.

Plus the Bruins need draft picks, they've traded a ton of them away the last few years & the cupboard is pretty bare.

that doesn't feel contrary, that feels like a more verbose description of white flag on the season lmao

Reactions: Over the volcano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad