Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This team will not be seller, but as many of us they know this team has no chance in playoffs. That being said, sell Debrusk and get whatever you can and retool in the offseason.
Come on now, I don't like their chances as of today but to see they have no chance is a bit absurd

Reactions: lopey

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I disagree. He has the talent to produce more than he has/is. Boston's just never been a good fit for him as far as life goes.
Or he’s just not as good as some want to believe he is or expect him to be? Right about now “fit” doesn’t matter anymore. He is what he is. Streaky and does some good things away from the puck as well, but not going to consistently be some offensive stud.

Keep him for what he brings with realistic expectations.

Or move him for what he returns, again with realistic expectations.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
My desire is the Bruins sign DeBrusk to a very team friendly, inexpensive contract before the end of trade deadline day or trade him for a proven NHL player that will improve the team.

My fear is nothing happens. They ride with his inconsistency into the offseason where he has little or no value and they either settle for a mid to late draft pick for negotiating rights or he simply walks into FA and the Bruins squander another asset chasing the dream.

Or they way overpay to keep him. Anything over 5.5 is too much ... and closer to 5 or lower would be much better and without trade protection!

For Sweeney to trade DeBrusk, it will all come down to the return.
But as I said before, Sweeney either has to sign him or get something in return. DeBrusk can not simply walk at season's end.

Same argument can be made regarding Grzelcyk and some of their other FAs. Sweeney needs to either sign him/them to very team friendly deal(s) or get something of value back in trade. Sweeney can not waste assets by simply letting them walk.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
My two cents:

Gryz doesn't hold much value. Should have traded him to the Hawks last season when they would have paid a price for him.

Every team knows 2 different Boston coaches have scratched him at times In the playoffs.

I remember thinking this multiple times the last few years, not with the hawks specifically, but when we traded Hall there and their current predicaments I did wonder

Any idea as to why sweeney didn’t pull the trigger and or what the offers were?

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
My two cents:

Gryz doesn't hold much value. Should have traded him to the Hawks last season when they would have paid a price for him.

Every team knows 2 different Boston coaches have scratched him at times In the playoffs.
Do you think the sharks would have any interest with quinn as the coach? like even for a 7th

• Haha
Reactions: TCB

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Do you think the sharks would have any interest with quinn as the coach? like even for a 7th

in Gryz, or Debrusk?

We don't trade Debrusk for a 7th, let's agree. You keep him for the playoffs at price. A 3rd or lower you probably just play him and have him walk.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hope his value is more than that, but I guess you never know. The one good thong is you can never have enough defenseman come playoff time, so someone out there should be willing to give up something more than a 7th. I'd hope anyways. But his lack of being able to handle the physical play and the pace of the playoffs in years past may make that tough, but I don't see Sweeney moving him out, unless he needs his cap hit, for another acquisition, then that 7th could come into play.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I hope his value is more than that, but I guess you never know. The one good thong is you can never have enough defenseman come playoff time, so someone out there should be willing to give up something more than a 7th. I'd hope anyways. But his lack of being able to handle the physical play and the pace of the playoffs in years past may make that tough, but I don't see Sweeney moving him out, unless he needs his cap hit, for another acquisition, then that 7th could come into play.
moving him out would solve alot of the money in money out issues. Maybe hes a throw in for a hanifin trade, Idk I agree with Dom here. his play this year and the bruins spending assets now three years in a row to replace him show what little value he has to the team.

Reactions: TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
being out pointed by Geekie, anyone have that on their collective bingo cards? I get Jake is streaky but man, he`s not one of those guys who goes 4-5 games without a goal, it`s often much longer stretches or at least it sure feels that way to me

Years past I questioned his effort away from the puck and focus during a slump, I don`t feel that way this year, I think he`s playing with focus even while not scoring but ultimately, he`s a guy paid to score and isn`t

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
being out pointed by Geekie, anyone have that on their collective bingo cards? I get Jake is streaky but man, he`s not one of those guys who goes 4-5 games without a goal, it`s often much longer stretches or at least it sure feels that way to me

Years past I questioned his effort away from the puck and focus during a slump, I don`t feel that way this year, I think he`s playing with focus even while not scoring but ultimately, he`s a guy paid to score and isn`t
Talk around the league is Edmonton is looking for a top 6 forward and has made their first available. Perfect fit for Jake.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Talk around the league is Edmonton is looking for a top 6 forward and has made their first available. Perfect fit for Jake.
question might be, is he still a top 6 forward? I don`t know, nor do I think he holds terrific value right now

If Jake were playing on an opposing team now with the stats he has, if you were a coach, would you be worrying too much about him hurting your team offensively?

Reactions: Ladyfan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
question might be, is he still a top 6 forward? I don`t know, nor do I think he holds terrific value right now

If Jake were playing on an opposing team now with the stats he has, if you were a coach, would you be worrying too much about him hurting your team offensively?
If he was playing along side McDavid or Draisaitl yes. I really think Jake needs a change of scenery in a big big way.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he was playing along side McDavid or Draisaitl yes. I really think Jake needs a change of scenery in a big big way.
sure but if you are a coach do you take Hyman off that line , a dude with 40 goals to plunk Jake in there? Now, the Oilers, last game I watched, had Janmark- Nylen on the 2nd line where Jake would be an upgrade but my belief is, on a team with serious cup chance (and I still don`t put the Oilers in that category), will he be a guy that puts them over the top?

I think he`s a nice add but his overall lack of production and far too streaky stretches will frustrate fans elsewhere too

I`ll say it again, I`m not sure the return for Jake will be at all exciting for B`s fans, other GM`s see what we do

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
sure but if you are a coach do you take Hyman off that line , a dude with 40 goals to plunk Jake in there? Now, the Oilers, last game I watched, had Janmark- Nylen on the 2nd line where Jake would be an upgrade but my belief is, on a team with serious cup chance (and I still don`t put the Oilers in that category), will he be a guy that puts them over the top?

I think he`s a nice add but his overall lack of production and far too streaky stretches will frustrate fans elsewhere too

I`ll say it again, I`m not sure the return for Jake will be at all exciting for B`s fans, other GM`s see what we do
Fair point but he'd look pretty good riding along side RNH and Evader Kane as well. The oil have also mixed up their lines as well, taking Draisaitl away from McDavid, so You really never know, what would click till it happens and hopefully Holland wants to give it a shot.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair point but he'd look pretty good riding along side RNH and Evader Kane as well. The oil have also mixed up their lines as well, taking Draisaitl away from McDavid, so You really never know, what would click till it happens and hopefully Holland wants to give it a shot.
maybe, hometown, might get juice from that too, either way, we have 6-7 years of evidence saying he`ll still be a streaky dude and for a team like the Oilers, they don`t need streaky, they need secondary scoring outside of the top line

One way or another, he either finishes the year in Boston and walks to , what I think will be the Oilers, if traded, not convinced there`s gonna be a huge haul for him

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Lots of players would look good on McDavids line. Jake would drag down that line they need someone to get Mcdavid the puck who can create offense

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

I'm not arguing with your post ... DeBrusk is playing well away from the puck (nor hurting the team) and we all feel his goal scoring is not where or as consistent as we hoped it would be. But let me ask: who is his play making center this year? Krejci/Bergeron in the past. Definitely not Coyle, wingers have always struggled with him. Zacha? Better play maker than Coyle but no where near Krejci/Bergeron level. So who's getting him the puck?

Not having a legitimate play making center is hurting the team throughout the line up, not just DeBrusk.

If the Bruins can't get that center in season then double down on the defense (even at the expense of Jake) and try to advance as far as possible by being as good defensively as possible.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Zacha has turned out to be a much better player than I thought he would. The 2015 draft had a consensus top 13 in the scouting services community, but Zacha and Crouse were the 2 players within that top 13 that I didn't like. NJ taking Zacha over Barzal was still a mistake, although not remotely as close to the mistake of picking DeBrusk and Senyshyn over Barzal and Connor, but he has turned into a quality player. IIRC, there were some concerns over him adapting to the ice in North America and he didn't exactly light it up in Sarnia.

Wotherspoon played with Carlo in Tri-City and I wonder how much of a say the Western League scouts had in the team acquiring him years later.
The Bruins would never been able to keep all those players that you mentioned they should have drafted.
Just look at their contract history and they never would've waited 7 years or so to be in the top 6.
The Bruins were lucky to have both Bergy and Krecji for all those years, but it did prevent them from drafting high end centers to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad