Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For a team that’s very thin on top 6 offensive talent, it seems crazy that they wouldn’t be able to come to some sort of deal with JDB. Now that being said though, a dude that’s as streaky and inconsistent as this really makes overpaying him a huge risk. Either way, I take this as an abject failure by Sweeney. He should have either reached a deal on an extension over the summer or traded him. Going to the deadline with JDB is a real f***ing blunder.

Reactions: lopey and NeelyDan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
For a team that’s very thin on top 6 offensive talent, it seems crazy that they wouldn’t be able to come to some sort of deal with JDB. Now that being said though, a dude that’s as streaky and inconsistent as this really makes overpaying him a huge risk. Either way, I take this as an abject failure by Sweeney. He should have either reached a deal on an extension over the summer or traded him. Going to the deadline with JDB is a real f***ing blunder.
If he paid Debrusk after his career last year only for him to play like he has been this year this place would be livid.

Think Sweeney might have made the right call in not extending him, but in hindsight they probably should have moved him this offseason

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If he paid Debrusk after his career last year only for him to play like he has been this year this place would be livid.

Think Sweeney might have made the right call in not extending him, but in hindsight they probably should have moved him this offseason
I absolutely agree with you about the risk of signing him this past offseason. I personally would have traded him while his value was at an all time high and let someone else deal with his inconsistent play. Either way, Sweeney f***ed up by sitting on his hands and doing nothing.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
think a few of you need to google what the "sunk cost fallacy" is

We're looking at it here, and a 2nd rounder is definitely an example of dodging that fallacy.

Btw have you guys seen this?

A redraft of 2015. Debrusk is now #27 there. Zacha and Carlo both higher than Debrusk if you're curious.

To recover a 2nd here would be pretty decent. But I'd take higher.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I absolutely agree with you about the risk of signing him this past offseason. I personally would have traded him while his value was at an all time high and let someone else deal with his inconsistent play. Either way, Sweeney f***ed up by sitting on his hands and doing nothing.
Yeah it's a tough call, I would have kept him after last season, but I also thought his inconsistencies were behind him after a season where he was much less streaky.

At this point though you get what you can, the best move is probably to look at another buy low target or a UFA to be that might fit the team's needs better past this season.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

We're looking at it here, and a 2nd rounder is definitely an example of dodging that fallacy.

A redraft of 2015. Debrusk is now #27 there. Zacha and Carlo both higher than Debrusk if you're curious.

Can't say I agree with that guy's re-draft picks. Cernak, Garland and Strome are definitely not the 3 I'd be picking when Konecny, Hanifin and Hintz are still on the board.

Reactions: lopey and NDiesel

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You wrote this entire paragraph and I never said all of what you're replying to.

I think Donnie may have an opportunity to re-sign him for lower than what we would of thought at this time last year. I'm sure they negotiating. But if his agent is asking astronomical numbers, that's not gonna cut it. He has to decide. Jake has said he wants to stay. We'll see if that's true. If he's asking for 6+ at this current moment, he's not getting it here, that's for sure.

One way or another this will be resolved.

I mean, of course he says publicly he wants to stay. What's he going to say? "Yeah, it's mid-season, but I want to go wherever will give me the most dough. Not married to the idea of staying in Boston...have your people call my people"

He'd get boo'd every time he touches the puck until he was gone. He doesn't have that Bergy/Marchand/Pasta/McAvoy drafted to beloved to Bruins lifer pathway.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I mean, of course he says publicly he wants to stay. What's he going to say? "Yeah, it's mid-season, but I want to go wherever will give me the most dough. Not married to the idea of staying in Boston...have your people call my people"

He'd get boo'd every time he touches the puck until he was gone. He doesn't have that Bergy/Marchand/Pasta/McAvoy drafted to beloved to Bruins lifer pathway.
True.

Either way. We'll find out soon.

Reactions: Kate08

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
they won’t do both

They got approximately 20 M available between
4.5 overage elimination
3.0 Forbort
3.675 Grzelcyk
JVR 1
Shatty 1.05
Heinen 775 K
Lucic 1
DeBrusk 4
Richard 775 K

You move Ullmark close to 25 M

They are in a much better situation then just about every team a looked up

The 20 M best player is DeBrusk

Gotta think July 1 is cocktails on the deck at noon cause the Bruins are going fishing with dynamite

Yup exactly - overrated player as well
Resign Sway +4mil 21 million to replace 8 contracts

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
they should’ve traded him after he gave a half assed effort and completely missed the net in overtime and the other team (phoenix maybe?) took the puck up ice and scored instantly

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Again.

Reactions: LSCII

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Where did senyshyn go ?

• Haha
Reactions: Bodit9

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Unless you can get a 1st in value (2 2nds, etc) or you need his $$$ for another big move.. self renting is totally fine. Getting a 2nd in a shit draft ain’t worth the hope that post deadline Jake plays for a new contract. Folks forget that the Bruins last hot streak was Jake last hot streak.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
As someone who wanted DeBrusk dealt a loooong time ago, I find this thread refreshing.

I was very vocal in 2015 about drafting Barzal over him so this is bittersweet but hopefully the end of his chapter here. I legitimately wish him well.
Feels nice to finally be able to have a legitimate, fact based conversation about him

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think this story is much larger than it seems.

*I* think Don has been trying to move JDB for several years now and just not gotten any offers that were not lowball ones. Better to keep an assest who has higher value to you than to let him go for less value in return. The problem is Jakes value to other teams has not really increased.
I could see Don keeping him as an own rental. However, given his response to such situations in the past he might just skate through his last few months here.

Dont know about you, but I would rather have a player here who wants to play and will do so reliably.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
My guess is that Jake is billing himself as a 30 goal, 60 point player even though he has never actually hit either of those benchmarks. This is his 7th season in the NHL and he is 27 years old and in a contract year and he is pacing under a PPG.

I'd like to sign Jake to anything up to 5 years, 30 million. If its going to be higher than that, we should just move on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad