Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Don’t want to wade into this because I don’t think it makes a big difference overall.

However, I think this could just as easily be interpreted as Panarin is not carrying his weight in the playoffs as it is that Jake is somehow matching the “big boys”.

There are certain players who say “playoff performer” to me —- and Jake is not one of those (not slagging him off by this, just not seeing him as some extra PO gear kind of gay). Based on what I’m reading here — Arteri Panarin should not be on that list either.

I don’t know what to tell you. The numbers suggest otherwise. Only 10 LWs and 11 RWs with more playoff game winners since 17-18 as well. As many as Ray Bourque and Johnny Bucyk had as Bruins over their careers.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think he’s going to be very hard to sign for “peanuts.” Those contracts are usually the guys like Bertuzzi who are willing to bet on themselves on a one year contract to get a bigger pay day.

1.- I think the whole negotiation process bothers Debrusk and to repeat the process again next season isn’t palatable to him.

2.- He’s had an up and down career. That’s a big gamble, one that is I was his agent I’d highly advise against.

3.- He’ll make more in free agency.
I think this has Oilers written all over it

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Since 2017-18 out of LWs who have played at least 14 games Debrusk is tied at 21st with Kyle Connor and Artemi Panarin in playoff G/GP.
I don’t want to be an ass, but I think you’re trying way too hard here.

Tied for 21st among LW’s who have played 14+ games????

What that means is that Panarin, Connor, and Debrusk have been ok/average at very best. Which ties out with Jakes PO stats. OK, I guess.

If I buy a bottle of wine from you at $250 and it is just “okay” I’m going to be a little disappointed. Not irate, but definitely disappointed.

If you try and tell me it’s no problem because you bought a $750 bottle of wine for someone else and it was just as “okay” — you not going to make me feel better. You‘re just not a very good wine buyer.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don’t want to be an ass, but I think you’re trying way too hard here.

Tied for 21st among LW’s who have played 14+ games????

What that means is that Panarin, Connor, and Debrusk have been ok/average at very best. Which ties out with Jakes PO stats. OK, I guess.

If I buy a bottle of wine from you at $250 and it is just “okay” I’m going to be a little disappointed. Not irate, but definitely disappointed.

If you try and tell me it’s no problem because you bought a $750 bottle of wine for someone else and it was just as “okay” — you not going to make me feel better. You‘re just not a very good wine buyer.

324 forwards have played 14 playoff games. DeBrusk is 64th in GPG. It’s solid. Also in that range, in addition to the names above, are Malkin, Kucherov, Svechnikov, Jason Robertson, Hintz, etc, all within a few spots of DeBrusk.

But, I’m not trying to say he is a playoff dynamo or anything, just that he is what he is…a securely second line goal scorer who sometimes plays like a 1st liner and sometimes like a 4th liner. It’s just disappointing because it seemed like the 4th liner stretches were over with.

I also suspect than when ever his contract is resolved he will get back into the right head space.

The problem is you don’t know the next thing that is going to get to him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
324 forwards have played 14 playoff games. DeBrusk is 64th in GPG. It’s solid. Also in that range, in addition to the names above, are Malkin, Kucherov, Svechnikov, Jason Robertson, Hintz, etc, all within a few spots of DeBrusk.

But, I’m not trying to say he is a playoff dynamo or anything, just that he is what he is…a securely second line goal scorer who sometimes plays like a 1st liner and sometimes like a 4th liner. It’s just disappointing because it seemed like the 4th liner stretches were over with.

I also suspect than when ever his contract is resolved he will get back into the right head space.

The problem is you don’t know the next thing that is going to get to him.
I couldn’t agree with what you say more.

Good kid, good skills, can by dynamic, is very hot and cold.

I was only pushing back on someone who was trying to say he somehow amped up his game in playoffs. Sometime he does. Sometimes he doesn’t. Common theme with JDB.

If I could waive a magic want and make him even 25% more consistent/predictable ……..? To quote the superb Bob Wilson….. “Oh My!!!!!”

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Excellent summation - if we are led to believe the Elias Lindholm rumors maybe him in offseason

I think the FO thinks they are good enough right now with Zacha & Coyle and will reaccess after season what to do

Definitely slim Pickens
I believe they are good enough with Zacha and Coyle for this season. The front office can reevaluate after the playoffs and when they see what the market is like in the off-season.

If they feel the team needs an upgrade now they should focus on the defense. Hanifin would be a terrific addition to the top pair but they should have options elsewhere.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The Bruins should blindfold him on the plane/bus to every away game and tell him they are playing in Alberta. Regardless of scoring, if he brought the same tenacity he brought against the Oilers every night, no one would have an issue with his play. He's supposed to be the third best forward on this team. In a game where the coach puts you on the top powerplay unit to get you going, 4 minutes with the man advantage, and played 19 minutes without a shot on net, it's just extremely disappointing.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I am a bit confused as to what the list of names means, are these people you might want in return for Jake?

I have such an intense dislike for the Red Wings and the way that team plays the game that i'd be hard pressed to want someone from that bleep org. And i'd hate to see Jake go there and learn to dive. Plus of course a few names on the list I don't want anywhere close to a team I'm rooting for

I would like Alex DeBrincat from the Wings. He's a proven 40 goal scorer, he blocks shots, he fore checks and back checks, he creates offense for other players as well as for himself, and he has excellent passing vision. He's an excellent winger that could make the Bruins top 6 much better. The biggest knock on him is his size, as 5'8" is really small and his plus minus has been up and down through his career. That said, I think DeBrincat is a player that could make the Bruins much better offensively.

Reactions: HustleB

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I would like Alex DeBrincat from the Wings. He's a proven 40 goal scorer, he blocks shots, he fore checks and back checks, he creates offense for other players as well as for himself, and he has excellent passing vision. He's an excellent winger that could make the Bruins top 6 much better. The biggest knock on him is his size, as 5'8" is really small and his plus minus has been up and down through his career. That said, I think DeBrincat is a player that could make the Bruins much better offensively.
DeBrincat is tied to Kane at the waist. Best buds in Chi-town and the big reason Kane chose Detroit.
He is a scoring machine, just not going anywhere.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Can’t see that happening as their vying for 3rd seed/wildcard playoff spot.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Issue is his trade value is dropping by the game. Only time he’s been noticeable is when he was playing with daddy there. Bs badly need a wake up call. Make a hockey trade.
Agreed. Last night was typical Jake game when he’s not in the zone.

Couple of decent defensive plays. Other than that? A few flybys, waiving the stick in direction of puck, skate a bit in general direction of play, then change off. Rinse repeat, rinse repeat.

Not earning the $4M, let alone a raise or any kind of exciting return via trade.

Hate to say it, but we are going to need some team to see the “potential” in JDB in order to get a decent offer. When he’s on, he’s great. When he’s not? He’s really uninspiring.

Going to need to find somebody who believes the can find the switch and somehow duct tape it into the “ON” position. Personally I’m not fully convinced the switch exists — or if it does, if its’ wiring can be relied on.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And he was diving all over the place when the bruins played them this year. I am convinced Detroit spent half of training camp practicing diving

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
good offensive player, not convinced he`s a guy who`ll bust his ass when the puck isn`t on his stick

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I believe they are good enough with Zacha and Coyle for this season. The front office can reevaluate after the playoffs and when they see what the market is like in the off-season.

If they feel the team needs an upgrade now they should focus on the defense. Hanifin would be a terrific addition to the top pair but they should have options elsewhere.
We desperately need a faceoff guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad