Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Reilly Smith walked away from Boston as a UFA?

Look, there was a time I felt differently. I pissed and moaned when they didn't trade Loui Eriksson for a 2nd rounder in 2016, but looking back, did it really matter?

I just don't find it worth getting worked up over for UFAs the caliber of Debrusk anymore.
Traded for Hayes?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
What? Why? What?

Jake DeBrusk scores at a clip of 0.29 goals per game in the playoffs.

Evander Kane scores 0.39 goals per game in the playoffs - and he's ranked 25th.

Where is this narrative coming from that DeBrusk is all of the sudden this playoff dynamo?

Since 2017-18 out of LWs who have played at least 14 games Debrusk is tied at 21st with Kyle Connor and Artemi Panarin in playoff G/GP.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am convinced that any rentals Don gets will be bargain basement types. As for any significant acquisitions, they will have term or will be signed to a contract. Don knows he has to improve for this season with also an eye to the next seasons.

I also think the market prices are being held up with a few players. Until they are moved we could be looking at a flurry the few days before right up to the end of TDL.

My 2 cents, worth about half that.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is Sweeney has no appetite to trade any of his high end prospects/young players or 1st rounders for pure rentals. If Friedman is right, the lack of an extension basically killed any potential Elias Lindholm trade to Boston.

If say Hanifin is coming here at the deadline, he's coming with an extension in hand or not at all.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
There is some merit to this.

Assume that the Bruins give other teams the chance to talk to JDB about an extension prior to making the deal and he and his agent figure out that the offers don't come close to what they are seeking or not as good as the Bruins, they might rethink their strategy.
I have to think Calgary is willing to pay a premium on salary that other teams including the Bruins won't pay in order to attract players... similar to how The Blue Jays have to add an extra year of term or more $$ to attract the players ...although I know the two leagues are different in cap structure

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yes but Debrusk plays right wing in Boston
We're supposed to ignore that apparently. As we are anything before 2018, because those years don't count. And anyone who isn't a LW. And anyone who hasn't played at least 14 games. And there's still 20 names ahead of him.

Jake DeBrusk isn't even the highest scoring winger named "Jake" in the playoffs.

Like I like Jake DeBrusk. He's a good player. He's (at times) been a clutch playoff performer for us.

I just don't understand this weird statistical posturing.

Mr. Make-Believe

I mean we are getting the same goal production, when it matters most, as the highest paid winger in the league from a guy who takes up roughly 1/3rd of the cap. I would say that is a good thing.
I think David Pastrnak is the highest paid winger in the league, no? And Pasta handily outscores DeBrusk

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
If we were to take a look through history and use RWs as I probably should as that’s where he’s been recently…

Debrusk’s .30 G/GP in the playoffs is currently tied with Milan Hedjuk at 80th all time for RWs with 41 or more playoff GP.

Only 93 RWs have scored more than Jake’s 22 career playoff goals over their careers.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
love your takes - they are usually hot but well written and you should replace Skip Bayless your that good. You were so far ahead of talking heads on Jayden Daniels - lot of your views I thought were ‘what?’ I started paying attention and you were correct. I’m a fan.

RNH I can’t see leaving Edmonton and he like Hymen are good but always remind me how good players who played with Orr, Esposito, Lemieux & Gretzky became HOF worthy and many made it. It’s really a credit that they can do it and clearly had high skills to begin with.

He was first overall and he’s good I’m just not sure at his age playing here if he came how he’d fare - you give him Pastrnak he probably is a PPG but although his cap hit is very good - he’s 31 in April and has 5 more years after

The NMC is what he wanted

I’m GM of Edmonton I got McDavid, I need to keep Draisaitl- I have very good players who can play with skill in RNH & Hyman

If I can get DeBrusk on a similar deal to the latter and have 5 F like those guys I’m pretty freaking happy

I’m Edmonton RNH fits and I try to get DeBrusk; if they can get RNH, Hyman, and DeBrusk long term for about $16 M with the two studs you are in business

That’s a heck of a core

What if the Bruins and Edmonton do a deal around Foegle and JDB, with Edmonton adding a 2nd, based on the fact that JDB is highly likely to re-up in Edmonton and has been more productive throughout his career.

Both are UFA, similar numbers this year, both kill penalties, Foegle is listed as LW/RW, we know JDB has played both, similar age, Foegle is a little bigger, Jake a little faster.

It doesn’t solve the center issue, but replaces JDB, cuts a little salary and adds to our draft capital.

Reactions: Sevendust

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Ooooo Detroit has

P Kane
Raymond
Perron
Gostisbehere
Sprong

But also a playoff spot. This one is interesting.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I mean we are getting the same goal production, when it matters most, as the highest paid winger in the league from a guy who takes up roughly 1/3rd of the cap. I would say that is a good thing.
Don’t want to wade into this because I don’t think it makes a big difference overall.

However, I think this could just as easily be interpreted as Panarin is not carrying his weight in the playoffs as it is that Jake is somehow matching the “big boys”.

There are certain players who say “playoff performer” to me —- and Jake is not one of those (not slagging him off by this, just not seeing him as some extra PO gear kind of gay). Based on what I’m reading here — Arteri Panarin should not be on that list either.

Reactions: Ladyfan

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ooooo Detroit has

P Kane
Raymond
Perron
Gostisbehere
Sprong

But also a playoff spot. This one is interesting.

I am a bit confused as to what the list of names means, are these people you might want in return for Jake?

I have such an intense dislike for the Red Wings and the way that team plays the game that i'd be hard pressed to want someone from that bleep org. And i'd hate to see Jake go there and learn to dive. Plus of course a few names on the list I don't want anywhere close to a team I'm rooting for

Mr. Make-Believe

Don’t want to wade into this because I don’t think it makes a big difference overall.

However, I think this could just as easily be interpreted as Panarin is not carrying his weight in the playoffs as it is that Jake is somehow matching the “big boys”.

There are certain players who say “playoff performer” to me —- and Jake is not one of those (not slagging him off by this, just not seeing him as some extra PO gear kind of gay). Based on what I’m reading here — Arteri Panarin should not be on that list either.
Panarin has vastly underperformed in the playoffs when compared to the points he compiles in the regular season. And he's more renowned for his puck distribution than his goal scoring. And he still has 10 more playoff points than DeBrusk in 16 fewer games.

Still unsure as to what the point is supposed to be. That DeBrusk is alright in the post-season? I agree. He's alright.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I am a bit confused as to what the list of names means, are these people you might want in return for Jake?

I have such an intense dislike for the Red Wings and the way that team plays the game that i'd be hard pressed to want someone from that bleep org. And i'd hate to see Jake go there and learn to dive. Plus of course a few names on the list I don't want anywhere close to a team I'm rooting for

Dom said Detroit (along with 2 others). I'm just looking at their list. We do trade with Detroit fairly often too, despite this board trying to convince me that in division is impossible.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I sure hope Sweeney doesn’t make a panic futures trade because of PTSD from not dealing soderberg and erikkson (sp?) when he should have

DeBrusk has poor hockey sense and seems to do best when he’s motivated by some sort of external factor (contract, playoffs, good vibes, his dad lol) so he’s streaky and giving him more than 6 mill a year probably isn’t a good investment, but he’s going to be needed come playoff time and if we subtract him without adding a net positive it’s going to hurt the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad