Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I wouldnt be pissed .

But the players on the roster would most likely be pissed. Because it signals white flag on this season.
I often wondered this as well but I think they realize its a business and will continue to do their jobs.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yeah, St. Louis is planning on moving Buchnevich for a big return and as great as it would be to see him as a Bruin, I don't think the Bruins have the package or would be willing to conjure up a package to trade for him. DeBrusk would be a replacement for the Blues so that the Blues can still try to compete this season.

Detroit is in the same division so the price should be a lot higher especially since there is a chance to see them in the playoffs.

Flames need a forward, and you have to wonder if DeBrusk was part of the deal for a signed Lindholm. The player the Bruins want is Hanifin, but it will depend on what the Flames prefer to get in return for Hanifin. They could also just prefer to make a separate deal altogether for DeBrusk.
Why is Buchnevich going to return something big? Without me looking is he a better all around player than Jake?

Jake is being very underrated here I think.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I have finally ready to move on from Jake, and have not always been on board with that . Last year there was great excitement when the Bruins traded for Bertuzzi and turned out be a rental.
Bertuzzi last 105 games 150goals 38 assists cap hit when traded 4.7 million.
Jake 120 games 40goals 37 assists 4 million..........You traded assets to get Bertuzzi , no assets needed for Jake as a rental ..........eye test alone Jake is the better player, does this change anyone's thinking.

No. Last year Boston needed some minor pieces to fill out what was a stacked roster top to bottom. Sweeney rightfully swung for the fences with Bertuzzi and Orlov. This year, it’s an overachieving roster with glaring holes up and down the lineup. Debrusk doesn’t change that. Granted, I don’t think trading Debrusk changes that either. But I don’t want him leaving for nothing as it’s just really poor asset management and to re-sign him at what he’s likely looking to get is poor cap management.

Just my opinion, but that’s how I walk myself to the conclusion that he needs to be traded for something that better fits the roster now and in the future with the realization that this isn’t the year to dump a ton of future assets into a cup run.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Would everyone be pissed if we traded Jake for futures?

If we didn’t replace him I’d honestly be kind of pissed. While his production has been down, they would have to call up lysell and after lysell they are one injury away from borderline disaster at the wing position.

I’d offer jake a 6x$5m contract right now and if he says no I’d move him, but need a replacement.
If he’s moved

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Why is Buchnevich going to return something big? Without me looking is he a better all around player than Jake?

I think it cuts both ways. Some greatly overrate him and some great underrate him. He’s a very polarizing figure which is why he seems to always be part of the debate.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No. Last year Boston needed some minor pieces to fill out what was a stacked roster top to bottom. Sweeney rightfully swung for the fences with Bertuzzi and Orlov. This year, it’s an overachieving roster with glaring holes up and down the lineup. Debrusk doesn’t change that. Granted, I don’t think trading Debrusk changes that either. But I don’t want him leaving for nothing as it’s just really poor asset management and to re-sign him at what he’s likely looking to get is poor cap management.

Just my opinion, but that’s how I walk myself to the conclusion that he needs to be traded for something that better fits the roster now and in the future with the realization that this isn’t the year to dump a ton of future assets into a cup run.
Good points, but it does give some reason to pause a bit. Let me add this, should Jake bring back more than what the Bruins paid for Bertuzzi.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If the end result is Jake Debrusk simply plays out his contract in Boston and signs somewhere else as a UFA this summer, it's not that big of a deal IMO. This is the salary cap era, players come and go.

You don't want to watch elite-franchise players walk for nothing. But Jake Debrusk-level guys walk as UFA all the time and their former teams continue on just fine.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Good points, but it does give some reason to pause a bit. Let me add this, should Jake bring back more than what the Bruins paid for Bertuzzi.
I think he should, Jake is helping even when he's not scoring. Being able to kill penalties adds value as well.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
As others have mentioned, Calgary seems like the more probable destination, Detroit the unlikeliest as they play in the Bruins division. Hanifin has to be the target for Boston. I have been puzzled as to why the Bruins haven't called up Lysell or Regula yet, they have more then earned it and have seen far less talented guys called up ahead of them. Is it possible that they are waiting for the Bruins to trade players away ( Debrusk, Grys, etc) to open up spots for them.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008

Hard to say. Prices at the deadline don’t happen in a vacuum. It all depends on the market. I’m also really bad at gauging value lol. So I won’t embarrass myself more than I usually do on these board.

As Wally said, if you trade him for nothing but futures I think that’s the worst case scenario and the players will have an issue with it. If he’s part of a package to bring in a long term player like Hanafin or Geuntzel, then IMO that’s the best case scenario.

And I know there will be the comments “keeping him, signing him, and watching him go off this playoff and for the next seven years is the best case scenario.” I’d say that’s 100% correct. I just don’t see all of those things happing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think this is the perfect time to sign Debrusk for peanuts.

You’re going to get nothing for him on the market, and you’re not going to get a better player at that price point.
There is some merit to this.

Assume that the Bruins give other teams the chance to talk to JDB about an extension prior to making the deal and he and his agent figure out that the offers don't come close to what they are seeking or not as good as the Bruins, they might rethink their strategy.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
I think this is the perfect time to sign Debrusk for peanuts.

You’re going to get nothing for him on the market, and you’re not going to get a better player at that price point.

I think he’s going to be very hard to sign for “peanuts.” Those contracts are usually the guys like Bertuzzi who are willing to bet on themselves on a one year contract to get a bigger pay day.

1.- I think the whole negotiation process bothers Debrusk and to repeat the process again next season isn’t palatable to him.

2.- He’s had an up and down career. That’s a big gamble, one that is I was his agent I’d highly advise against.

3.- He’ll make more in free agency.

Reactions: TCB

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
If the end result is Jake Debrusk simply plays out his contract in Boston and signs somewhere else as a UFA this summer, it's not that big of a deal IMO. This is the salary cap era, players come and go.

You don't want to watch elite-franchise players walk for nothing. But Jake Debrusk-level guys walk as UFA all the time and their former teams continue on just fine.

I don’t know about you but I think the Bruins could have used Reilly Smith in 2019 when we had a broken down Backes and waiver fodder playing on our 2nd line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t know about you but I think the Bruins could have used Reilly Smith in 2019 when we had a broken down Backes and waiver fodder playing on our 2nd line.

Reilly Smith walked away from Boston as a UFA?

Look, there was a time I felt differently. I pissed and moaned when they didn't trade Loui Eriksson for a 2nd rounder in 2016, but looking back, did it really matter?

I just don't find it worth getting worked up over for UFAs the caliber of Debrusk anymore.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That’s for Sweeney to figure out. But replacing debrusk should be pretty simple. Beecher to the PK, then offensively should be pretty simple since he’s producing like a 3rd liner this year.

I’m more worried about replacing him in the playoffs where he scores goals as the same rate as the highest paid winger in the league.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think he’s going to be very hard to sign for “peanuts.” Those contracts are usually the guys like Bertuzzi who are willing to bet on themselves on a one year contract to get a bigger pay day.

1.- I think the whole negotiation process bothers Debrusk and to repeat the process again next season isn’t palatable to him.

2.- He’s had an up and down career. That’s a big gamble, one that is I was his agent I’d highly advise against.

3.- He’ll make more in free agency.

When people say peanuts they are talking about him signing a long term deal with a number that starts with a 5 million . I don't think anyone is talking about say giving him one more year at the same deal .

3) Maybe, but we don't know that. It is expected the cap goes up and there is bunch of money available, and when that happens GMs spend like drunken sailors So it seems likely someone would give Jake a long term contract that starts with a 6 instead of a 5, heck maybe even a 7 if he finishes the season strongly.

For jake it comes down a lot to does he want to be here, or somewhere else (if the bruins make the offer). Would you take 32 million now, or bet on the fact that someone will offer you 42 million in July.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Rumored price for Buchnevich is two 1sts and a very good prospect. He has an extra year on his deal, can play both wings, was a PPG player the last two seasons, PPG player in the 21-22 playoffs, is a physical player, and is on pace for 68pts. He's definitely a tier above DeBrusk. If the Bruins could get Buchnevich for DeBrusk+ that would be great, but that + is probably someone like Lohrei since the Bruins don't have the draft capital.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m more worried about replacing him in the playoffs where he scores goals as the same rate as the highest paid winger in the league.
What? Why? What?

Jake DeBrusk scores at a clip of 0.29 goals per game in the playoffs.

Evander Kane scores 0.39 goals per game in the playoffs - and he's ranked 25th.

Where is this narrative coming from that DeBrusk is all of the sudden this playoff dynamo?

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Flames just make too much sense to not have the most real smoke ...one key is Calgary requires players who actually want to be there long term instead of a draft/develop and leave/trade type system that it has been for years for players who don't want to stay there ..Jake is such a player who might actually want to be there and provide some roster stability ..on a separate note Calgary really needs a new stadium to help attract and keep players
City of Calgary releases new arena details, agreements

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I am convinced that any rentals Don gets will be bargain basement types. As for any significant acquisitions, they will have term or will be signed to a contract. Don knows he has to improve for this season with also an eye to the next seasons.

I also think the market prices are being held up with a few players. Until they are moved we could be looking at a flurry the few days before right up to the end of TDL.

My 2 cents, worth about half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad