Former Bruins Jake DeBrusk - gone to Nucks

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nope, it’s far more obvious than that. It comes down to whom a fan likes or dislikes. And I enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy and inconsistencies by some folks here. In this instance, it’s fine if player A takes games off but if player B does that, he’s a bad player that needs to go.
I think Krejci taking a couple mil less than expected when he was bridged in the Kessel to Toronto drama adds to the love people have for him.

I don't recall Krejci ever requesting a trade either. Maybe he did, I certainly don't remember it ever happening.

Krejci just went about his business, playing a very strong 2 way game at the most important position, had a revolving door of wingers and topped the scoring charts en rout to a Cup.

The comparison is disingenuous

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think Krejci taking a couple mil less than expected when he was bridged in the Kessel to Toronto drama adds to the love people have for him.

I don't recall Krejci ever requesting a trade either. Maybe he did, I certainly don't remember it ever happening.

Krejci just went about his business, playing a very strong 2 way game at the most important position, had a revolving door of wingers and topped the scoring charts en rout to a Cup.

Plus Krejci averaged 20 more points per season than Debrusk despite playing in a much lower scoring era.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Is it though? Jake took a lot less than folks expected and literally signed out of nowhere when pretty much everyone thought he was leaving. He also singed his newest deal for less than market value so it clearly wasn’t about maximizing his every last dollar. It’s funny how one guy gets credit for it while the other gets shit, isn’t it? Or it’s flat out forgeten that he took less to stay his last deal with the team. Plus Krejci literally quit on the team and left for his home country because he didn’t like his coach, ffs. Yet he got a pass for that. Kind of illustrates the bias I’m grinding on here, imo

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Is it though? Jake took a lot less than folks expected and literally signed out of nowhere when pretty much everyone thought he was leaving. He also singed his newest deal for less than market value so it clearly wasn’t about maximizing his every last dollar. It’s funny how one guy gets credit for it while the other gets shit, isn’t it? Or it’s flat out forgeten that he took less to stay his last deal with the team. Plus Krejci literally quit on the team and left for his home country because he didn’t like his coach, ffs. Yet he got a pass for that. Kind of illustrates the bias I’m grinding on here, imo
JDB lost a lot of that good faith when he asked out

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Plus Krejci literally quit on the team and left for his home country because he didn’t like his coach, ffs. Yet he got a pass for that. Kind of illustrates the bias I’m grinding on here, imo

Yes, he asked out but stayed while DK literally walked out because he didn’t like his coach. So yeah…

Did David Krejci have a contract with the Boston Bruins for the 2021-22 season?

No he didn't. So he didn't walk out or quit on anyone. He fulfilled his contractual obligation. What world are you living in where a guy whose employment contract expires and the employee decides to go elsewhere is considered quitting on the team or walking out? Doesn't matter what his reasons for leaving are.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Damn! We’re really comparing an All time Bruin who left at the tail end of his career to JDB.

Thats how you know it’s summer.

I don't think it's a stretch to compare the two in terms of both being really good playoff performers who for stretches would seem either disinterested or less engaged at points during the regular season. Both took a shave on their contracts at points. Both seemed to have issues with the team or more specifically the coach at times.

The difference. One was a vastly superior player. I'd argue in every sport, the players with more talent get away with more. You put up with attitudes, slumps, off ice stuff more with guys who are better.

That's the reason why Jake DeBrusk seemingly gets more 💩 than David Krejci. I also think Jake being part of the 2015 draft debacle draws unwarranted ire that should solely be cast on management and management alone.

In the end, I wish him well, although I think he'll always have his struggles. But I would have liked him at 5.5m. I'm sure the Bruins would have liked him at 5.5m. But I'm sure there was a little more behind his decision making than just money. I also wonder if Boston and Vancouver were discussing a Lindholm trade deadline deal and maybe Debrusk already had some discussion on extending in Vancouver if a deal went through. Just feels odd that Debrusk, Heinen, Forbort sign in Vancouver and Zadorov and Lindholm sign in Boston day one of FA.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did David Krejci have a contract with the Boston Bruins for the 2021-22 season?

No he didn't. So he didn't walk out or quit on anyone. He fulfilled his contractual obligation. What world are you living in where a guy whose employment contract expires and the employee decides to go elsewhere is considered quitting on the team or walking out? Doesn't matter what his reasons for leaving are.
He left. Sweeney all summer long said he was working to resign the guy but he left. And it would have been fine if he retired from the league like he claimed he wanted to, but he came back right after they fired cassidy, which says he would have stayed had they done it the year before.

Jake on the other hand asked out but then resigned. Yet he gets shit for it while DK does not get anything for his bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He left. Sweeney all summer long said he was working to resign the guy but he left. And it would have been fine if he retired from the league like he claimed he wanted to, but he came back right after they fired cassidy, which says he would have stayed had they done it the year before.

Jake on the other hand asked out but then resigned. Yet he gets shit for it while DK does not get anything for his bullshit.
There's a lot of reasons he might have came back, such as his family not adapting well to life in Europe, him not enjoying the level of hockey there, his kids being homesick and missing their friends/school or the war on Russia/Ukraines border becoming bigger during the year he went over.

Do you have any links stating he came back because Cassidy left? Or is it purely speculation?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

If anyone was throwing bullshit it was Sweeney. For years DK had no 2RW to speak of but Sweeney said he was working on that too. :eyeroll: In the end I think DK was willing to put up with one (no 2RW) or the other (Cassidy) but not both so when his contract expired and the same issues existed he left. He never whined to the media or asked to be traded. He just left and IMO that said more than pissing & moaning ever could.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Jake asked for a trade while under contract to the Bruins. David Krejci did not have a contract. Doesn't matter if Sweeney offered him one, or what his reasons for leaving were. He was not under contract and free to do whatever he darn well wanted. Krejci didn't breach his contract. He fulfilled his obligation.

And so what if Jake asked for a trade then re-signed? Or David Krejci came back after leaving for a year. People are allowed to have a change in feelings. Situations change, fences are mended.

Going back to Krejci, while he was playing in Olomouc, a brutal war broke out in a country whose border is a 6 hour drive away from Olomouc. Like you could literally leave Olomouc early morning and be in the Ukraine by lunch time. Maybe that played a part in his decision to come back to North America the following season. Sure doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility it may have been a factor in his decision making. Would you really want your family 6 hours away from a warzone if you didn't have to?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There's a lot of reasons he might have came back, such as his family not adapting well to life in Europe, him not enjoying the level of hockey there, his kids being homesick and missing their friends/school or the war on Russia/Ukraines border becoming bigger during the year he went over.

Do you have any links stating he came back because Cassidy left? Or is it purely speculation?
Come on man. Be f***ing honest with yourself. We all know why he didn't resign and we all know why he came back. It's silly pretending that's not the case. And guess what? DeBrusk hated Cassidy as well. It happens. His act wore thin on the players. But like I've said multiple times now, only one guy has had this held against him, while another got a free pass. Let's just be truthful about things for a change. I get how HF hates reality, but it's obvious.

Jake asked for a trade while under contract to the Bruins. David Krejci did not have a contract. Doesn't matter if Sweeney offered him one, or what his reasons for leaving were. He was not under contract and free to do whatever he darn well wanted. Krejci didn't breach his contract. He fulfilled his obligation.

And so what if Jake asked for a trade then re-signed? Or David Krejci came back after leaving for a year. People are allowed to have a change in feelings. Situations change, fences are mended.

Going back to Krejci, while he was playing in Olomouc, a brutal war broke out in a country whose border is a 6 hour drive away from Olomouc. Like you could literally leave Olomouc early morning and be in the Ukraine by lunch time. Maybe that played a part in his decision to come back to North America the following season. Sure doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility it may have been a factor in his decision making. Would you really want your family 6 hours away from a warzone if you didn't have to?
He turned tail and left because he hated Cassidy. He came back instantly, right after they fired Cassidy. Why is that reality so f***ing hard for some. Jake also hated Cassidy, but he still resigned.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Come on man. Be f***ing honest with yourself. We all know why he didn't resign and we all know why he came back. It's silly pretending that's not the case. And guess what? DeBrusk hated Cassidy as well. It happens. His act wore thin on the players. But like I've said multiple times now, only one guy has had this held against him, while another got a free pass. Let's just be truthful about things for a change. I get how HF hates reality, but it's obvious.

He turned tail and left because he hated Cassidy. He came back instantly, right after they fired Cassidy. Why is that reality so f***ing hard for some. Jake also hated Cassidy, but he still resigned.
To me that clearly was the case, I'm surprised you're getting so much blowback on this. That being said it doesn't make me think any less of DK46, I would have been like **** it too at that point if it was bad enough.

Many of these guys hated Butch. End of year news conference I believe it was Sweeney who said he expected Butch back, players I am assuming threw a nutty (could have been Neely as well, he seemed less inclined to say he was back) and he was fired a short time later.

Reactions: NeelyDan and LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Do I think Cassidy was part of it? Absolutely. But I also don't think decisions like that are made in a vacuum and are easily made based on one or two factors.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I'm literally asking where are you getting this from though? Like were there clues in interviews leading up to it? I don't listen to player/coach/gm interviews so I'm genuinely wondering if I'm missing something, because this isn't a fact that everyone knows.

I also question why didn't Krejci leave to another NHL team if it was just Cassidy being the issue and not that he legitimately wanted to play at home? There's likely more than one influence at play than a hatred of Cassidy, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
To me that clearly was the case, I'm surprised you're getting so much blowback on this. That being said it doesn't make me think any less of DK46, I would have been like **** it too at that point if it was bad enough.

Many of these guys hated Butch. End of year news conference I believe it was Sweeney who said he expected Butch back, players I am assuming threw a nutty (could have been Neely as well, he seemed less inclined to say he was back) and he was fired a short time later.

We know Jake wasn't alone in disliking Butch. Bergeron. Carlo. Frederic were outspoken about him too.

Reactions: LSCII and LouJersey

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
So maybe some people have different standards for different players? Like maybe DK earned more good will with fans than JDB? Maybe people like some players more than others?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad