Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Just saw he injured his Achilles and had surgery. Out 4-6 months. Guess that opens the door for some to prove they're worth the spot on the big club.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Scott Wheeler just did a 2020 redraft.. He redrafted Jack Quinn at number 10 overall.

Actual draft pick: No. 8 (change: -2) to Buffalo
My final ranking: No. 15 (change: +5)
Loyal readers and followers will know that even though I was lower on Quinn than where the Sabres picked him, I actually became a major proponent of his when I felt like the public discourse around him and that selection swung too negative (there was a time, during the world juniors, when the public bashing of Quinn got completely out of control). He was a legitimate winger prospect then, and he’s becoming a legitimate winger now. That he was a little bit of a late-bloomer made him more intriguing, not less. I’m a fan of the kid and the player (his work ethic, his detail, the way he plays off of his linemates, his goal-scoring instincts, etc.) and was happy to see him have a solid rookie season with the Sabres last year. He’s going to be an important piece of the future there.​

For completeness, he slotted JJ Peterka at number 15. That's up 19 from where Buffalo took him, and 28 over where Wheeler had projected him. Devon Levi was redrafted at 13. That's up 199 from where he was taken by Florida. Wheeler did not rank him for the 2020 draft.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
So
Scott Wheeler just did a 2020 redraft.. He redrafted Jack Quinn at number 10 overall.

Actual draft pick: No. 8 (change: -2) to Buffalo
My final ranking: No. 15 (change: +5)
Loyal readers and followers will know that even though I was lower on Quinn than where the Sabres picked him, I actually became a major proponent of his when I felt like the public discourse around him and that selection swung too negative (there was a time, during the world juniors, when the public bashing of Quinn got completely out of control). He was a legitimate winger prospect then, and he’s becoming a legitimate winger now. That he was a little bit of a late-bloomer made him more intriguing, not less. I’m a fan of the kid and the player (his work ethic, his detail, the way he plays off of his linemates, his goal-scoring instincts, etc.) and was happy to see him have a solid rookie season with the Sabres last year. He’s going to be an important piece of the future there.​

For completeness, he slotted JJ Peterka at number 15. That's up 19 from where Buffalo took him, and 28 over where Wheeler had projected him. Devon Levi was redrafted at 13. That's up 199 from where he was taken by Florida. Wheeler did not rank him for the 2020 draft.
So where is Rossi? Rhetorical question.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Interesting.

Who jumped him?

It went:

Rangers -- C Tim Stutzle
Kings -- D Jake Sanderson
Sens -- RW Lucas Raymond
Red Wings -- LW Cole Perfetti
Sens -- C/W Alexis Lafreniere
Ducks -- C Quinton Byfield
Devils -- C Dawson Mercer
Sabres -- RW Seth Jarvis
Wild - C Anton Lundell
Jets -- Quinn

Reactions: Beerz

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mercer is great, but Quinn hasn't said his word yet, definitely huge potential, but he hasn't had any luck with injuries so far.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It went:

Rangers -- C Tim Stutzle
Kings -- D Jake Sanderson
Sens -- RW Lucas Raymond
Red Wings -- LW Cole Perfetti
Sens -- C/W Alexis Lafreniere
Ducks -- C Quinton Byfield
Devils -- C Dawson Mercer
Sabres -- RW Seth Jarvis
Wild - C Anton Lundell
Jets -- Quinn
Not sure what Perfetti has done to jump him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not sure what Perfetti has done to jump him.

Absolutely nothing. Perfetti has never been better than Quinn. I also doubt many people other than Wheeler would take Laf or Byfield that high considering their completely lack of development. Jarvis and Lundell are also debatable — they both were ahead of Quinn 2 years ago but neither really took a step forward last season.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Wheeler definitely is more open to several players in this class still having potential than most (me included). He's also pretty open about this being a class he feels a lot of his judgements on have pretty mediocre in their accuracy.

It's an interesting exercise where ultimately you have to pin a player to a specific order but I don't think it's the type of thing where these rankings reflect unassailable conviction in their placement.

There's a lot of times I'm not on the same page as him, but I probably enjoy reading Wheeler as much as any of the writers in that niche because he's pretty good at being transparent about he where he's coming, follows up on his rankings, and admits he gets stuff wrong.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

3. Jack Quinn, RW

9/19/2001 | 6-foot-1 | 185 pounds | Shoots right
Drafted: No. 8 in 2020
Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: High-end
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Analysis: Quinn’s first full NHL season went well, scoring 37 points and being a part of a high-flying Buffalo offense. Quinn’s pure skill level is very high. He has the quick twitch in his hands and great creativity to beat most defensemen one-on-one with skill. He makes a ton of difficult plays with the puck and is a constant threat inside the offensive zone due to his hands and offensive brain. His skating isn’t the best, as he lacks the ability to pull away from NHL defenders, but he’s got enough size to handle his own in the NHL, and with his skill, he’ll be a good player at even-strength while deadly on the power play. He projects as a first-line wing. An Achilles injury will keep him out until midseason.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad