Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Sorry, double post. I'll use this space to say I'm interested to see how quickly Quinner comes back. Kind of hopeful for the earliest estimated timeframe. With Aaron Rodgers claiming 4-5 months (lol) maybe it's not impossible for Quinn to do 5-6 and be back before New Year's.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dingo44

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
So, my wife shares a birthday with Jack Quinn.

I share a birthday with OJ.

She wins.
"And there's Jack Quinn how bout that, what a season he had. He won the Red Garrett Memorial Award as the AHL Rookie of the Year. Congratulations Jack, that is something that no one can ever take away from you. Unless you kill your wife and a waiter - in that case, all bets are off."
norm.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Too low​

Jack Quinn, RW, Buffalo Sabres

When I watched Quinn in his draft year, I saw the things that made him very appealing. His skill and hockey sense looked excellent and obviously he scored a ton in the OHL. I liked the player but had some doubts about Quinn’s future, about how well his game would translate to the pros and how real his offense was. His skating was just OK, especially given his average size. He was an older/late birthdate prospect without a track record of significant scoring. Typically a player with that profile doesn’t hit in a major way.

This was one case in which you needed to block out what typically happens, because a player is usually not on a team like the Ottawa 67’s, which was loaded and ran over everyone. That Quinn was, at least in his draft season, such an important player on such a dominant junior team should have been a flag that his skill was high-end, even if that wasn’t the case his prior season in Ottawa. It’s an important lesson in context and not talking myself out of high-end skill when it’s clear and evident while watching the player. Right now, Quinn looks like he will be a longtime top-six forward in the NHL.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I guess rehab stints aren't a thing anymore for the Buffalo Sabres?

I'd hate to see him reinjured because they brought him back too soon. What harm would it be for him to have a couple of light TOI games in Rochester? I mean, isn't that one of the reasons you have minor league clubs?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It

I'd hate to see him reinjured because they brought him back too soon. What harm would it be for him to have a couple of light TOI games in Rochester? I mean, isn't that one of the reasons you have minor league clubs?
Probably doesn't matter if he's skating in Rochester, Buffalo, or on a pond. Same motion and stress.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Granato addressed why he didnt want him in Roch in his presser yesterday.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Doing some light TOI in the ahl is a good way to get hurt.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think Quinn's impact will be bigger than expected.

Its been tough for Granato getting the lines to gel and Quinn will help.

Hoping he puts JJ, Cozens and Quinn back together.

Granato said different but we will see if there are struggles.

Reactions: Dominance

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Granato said it's "certainly not day-to-day"

Precisely what is wrong has not come out yet. I don't think it will since they are all off for the ASG - maybe there will be some reporting since it seems like whatever Quinn's plans were are now changed to get treatment.

Yeah ..that doesn't sound good. I was harsh on the Quinn pick because I wanted Rossi, but he's been nothing if not spectacular since getting drafted. This year's injury issues are so disheartening as a fan, so I can only imagine how he's feeling.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah ..that doesn't sound good. I was harsh on the Quinn pick because I wanted Rossi, but he's been nothing if not spectacular since getting drafted. This year's injury issues are so disheartening as a fan, so I can only imagine how he's feeling.

He does things that remind me of Kucherov with how he disguises his shot and gets into the high slot. He's also a little combative even if he just bounces off of people or winds up on his ass much of the time. If he added some straight up grim to his game, he'd have even more Kuch-lite to him.

Another thing this does is hurt their PK since he's been very good now that they're using pressure pairs instead passive forwards. Not keen on going back to more time for Okposo on the PK honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad