Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Because NHL players can also be barbaric and tend to target known injuries to hurt or throw players off their game.
"Slash 22 in the leg that folded in half under his full body weight" should still work as instructions for the barbarians. "LBI" secrecy isn't appropriate or useful for an obvious injury that everyone saw that also has fans are worried re: severity.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
"Slash 22 in the leg that folded in half under his full body weight" should still work as instructions for the barbarians. "LBI" secrecy isn't appropriate or useful for an obvious injury that everyone saw that also has fans are worried re: severity.
Sure, in this specific instance. But what about generic UBI where it could be a shoulder, neck, or concussion.

If in doubt (and there is a TON OF DOUBT about the NHL player safety program), less info is much safer.

As for "fan worry"... I doubt it's even in the top 5 concerns for a team regarding injuries, nor should it be IMO. f*** gambling.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I have high hopes for Quinn, but he needs to find a way to stay healthy. Since turning pro he's missed a huge percentage of games in 3 of 4 seasons.

He's going to be a guy they count on moving forward. If he stays healthy, he absolutely has consistent 30G-65P potential, with the ability to PK. But availability is a skill.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Can you have both a break AND a sprain? This is Buffalo, let's not just assume he has one thing.

Back in 2019 I got tripped skating hard towards the boards to play a puck and got tripped and ended up hitting the boards left blade first. That broke, tore, and dislocated my ankle. Didn't walk for three months and it's never really been the same. Still have a plate in my ankle too. However Quinn is MUCH younger than I and a high end athlete and getting the best possible care - though my surgeon and physical therapists were very good.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have high hopes for Quinn, but he needs to find a way to stay healthy. Since turning pro he's missed a huge percentage of games in 3 of 4 seasons.

He's going to be a guy they count on moving forward. If he stays healthy, he absolutely has consistent 30G-65P potential, with the ability to PK. But availability is a skill.

He missed a bunch of his first pro season with a sports hernia and IIRC had mono in junior. It's been a tough road for the kid.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Back in 2019 I got tripped skating hard towards the boards to play a puck and got tripped and ended up hitting the boards left blade first. That broke, tore, and dislocated my ankle. Didn't walk for three months and it's never really been the same. Still have a plate in my ankle too. However Quinn is MUCH younger than I and a high end athlete and getting the best possible care - though my surgeon and physical therapists were very good.
The problem is (as you stated...) "it's never really been the same"....

I ALWAYS think back to Elbert Dubenion..... who was never the same after he tore up his knee.

Yeah, medical tech and care has gotten better in 50 years... but there will always be always injuries that never fully restore one's previous health.

Ask Erik Johnson about his good bud Gabriel Landeskog, who I suspect, will never be the same hockey player he once was.

Reactions: jd1970

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I wonder what it was specifically. The cynic in me says this will allow us to sign him for a lower dollar amount. If he can stay healthy, I think his production could be among the top in the league for wingers.

Peterka, Cozens and him were just starting to turn it on, so this is a real bummer from an entertainment perspective the rest of this season.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Based on watching the replay a bunch and reading what's been said about the injury, I think he has a clean break through of his tibia and fibula about mid-shaft. I think I can see the instant it breaks on video. Explains the "no knee or Achilles involvement", the need for surgery, and the 8 week timeline. If I'm right, this would be very good news longer term prognosis wise. Align the bones, couple months to mineralize, pretty much good to go. Much better to have scar tissue in an inelastic structure like bone than in an elastic structure like tendons or ligaments. Could be wrong, hope I'm right.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Based on watching the replay a bunch and reading what's been said about the injury, I think he has a clean break through of his tibia and fibula about mid-shaft. I think I can see the instant it breaks on video. Explains the "no knee or Achilles involvement", the need for surgery, and the 8 week timeline. If I'm right, this would be very good news longer term prognosis wise. Align the bones, couple months to mineralize, pretty much good to go. Much better to have scar tissue in an inelastic structure like bone than in an elastic structure like tendons or ligaments. Could be wrong, hope I'm right.

It depends on where the break is. I’ve broken my hand 3 times in the last year and a half, and it’s never gonna heal properly.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

He is an absolutely cerebral hockey player, he could easily be our best winger going forward if he can stay healthy. 65 is selling his potential really short imo.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Man, this kid has had rough luck with injuries/illness the last few years. Just gotta hope for a quick, full recovery and pray that the cumulative effect of the missed time doesn't hurt development in the long term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While it sucks, eight weeks is fine considering this season is all but cooked. My fear was that he was going to miss another summer of training and development. I'd guess he broke his lower tib/fib considering the timeline.

Hard to avoid the wondering if he's worth a couple of wins in the time he missed. That they didn't move off from Vic in the summer as they should have and didn't fill Quinn even with a quality mid-liner is such a wasted opportunity.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Man. Hard to not feel like this season is pretty much over for the Sabres with this injury. Odd that a 2nd line winger means so much but he’s clearly why Cozens produced and consequently is the reason why we had a reliable second scoring line last year.

It was long shot to make the playoffs anyway but it was nice to see the team start winning at a higher clip since his return

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great hockey player. Great pick. I hope his luck turns on the injury front.

That said, if the Sabres try to use injuries as an excuse for this sorry season, the franchise is in trouble.

Especially given how relatively healthy they have been on defense compared to last year. Quinn being out was known from the draft. They could have done more to make sure they have a competent NHL body in that spot instead of how things have shaken out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad