Speculation: Jack Eichel thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Vegas would obviously be worse in the short term, because Jack will not be able to play for several months. I can’t see Vegas giving up important roster guys unless the Sabres supported Jack in his choice of surgery and he was playing already. But Buffalo didn’t do that, so the return for Jack is going to be adjusted.

Tuch isn't gonna be playing for months either.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
FWIF Vegas had a game last night and a roster of 23 players + 2 on IR (plus the LTIR guys). They've got 6.5m of LTIR left. Eichel has 9.1m cap remaining and hasn't been put on LTIR. If a trade was imminent they would have waited until today and sent Leschyshyn+Rondbjerg to the AHL. VGK will be in Toronto by Monday.

Although the Sabres putting Eichel on LTIR would facilitate that too.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I really don't see how a contending team gives up significant value trading for a player who won't play for several months and whose playing ability will be uncertain when he returns. It just seems like a really wild proposition to me.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I really don't see how a contending team gives up significant value trading for a player who won't play for several months and whose playing ability will be uncertain when he returns. It just seems like a really wild proposition to me.
I don't think it's going to be very easy to navigate all the ins and outs of this deal which is why it hasn't been done yet. Buffalo is going to have to be flexible with taking back cap dumps and conditional picks based on Eichel's future health to make this deal work while also getting some guaranteed picks/players/prospects with some real value. I can still see a team that's rebuilding being the better fit. Trade some good prospects, some conditional picks and some salary (either straight up cap dumps or just vets that don't have long-term value). Let Eichel get his surgery and if he can come back this year great, if not you'll a have a foundational piece to build around next season.

Reactions: Goulet17

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
You have to think with Kyle's story coming out this week, the NHL wan't something... anything to distract from it.

I think Eichel get's dealt this week with the league helping facilitate a trade.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021

Vegas should make the playoffs even playing average for the rest of the season. They're all in for the next 3 years and prospects are somewhat irrelevant to them. Trade for Eichel now and make sure they have all their stars fit for March is the aim. He could be the player that puts them over the edge.

You'd think teams are either fine with his surgery request or know he'll be fine with the standard surgery.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You have to think with Kyle's story coming out this week, the NHL wan't something... anything to distract from it.

I think Eichel get's dealt this week with the league helping facilitate a trade.
How does the league help facilitate a trade? They can't make teams increase their offers. They can't make Buffalo lower their perception of fair value. Only option would be the league allowing the surgery by covering the Sabres 50 million dollar a$$.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Doubt it.

What is the NHL going to do that will entice either the Sabres or a potential suitor to make this trade?

Opening Pandora's box could set a very bad precedent.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And.....what sort of pressure would that be and why would Buffalo cave in to this so-called pressure?
That’s not pressure. The pressure on the
Sabres will come when the insurance company says they will no longer pay their share of Jack’s 10 million. When the owner is on the hook for the full amount, then there will be pressure.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
what? he isnt traded yet? there was so much news about Eichel to VGK last night that I thought when I wake up in the morning there would be a thread already about it

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
All I can do is LOL at people thinking a trade is happening any time soon.

Not a chance unless Buffalo sells for penny’s on the dollar.

That ain’t happening.

I think they can get creative with a deal never seen before by adding conditions.

ex: If Eichel is a ppg player then VGK gotta cough up 1st rounders+

if VGK makes the cup final/wins teh cup vgk gotta cough up 2 firsts

etc....

in additional to what was already given to Buffalo initially...
VGK's 1st isn't going to mean much with Eichel there anyway, so VGK is going to have to cough up a few more 1st rounders IMO

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think they can get creative with a deal never seen before by adding conditions.

ex: If Eichel is a ppg player then VGK gotta cough up 1st rounders+

if VGK makes the cup final/wins teh cup vgk gotta cough up 2 firsts

etc....

in additional to what was already given to Buffalo initially...
VGK's 1st isn't going to mean much with Eichel there anyway, so VGK is going to have to cough up a few more 1st rounders IMO

And if Eichel's career ends prematurely Buffalo should send some picks back.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vegas would obviously be worse in the short term, because Jack will not be able to play for several months. I can’t see Vegas giving up important roster guys unless the Sabres supported Jack in his choice of surgery and he was playing already. But Buffalo didn’t do that, so the return for Jack is going to be adjusted.

false argument.

If Buffalo traded Eichel and got back Karrelson would have negative effects. They aren’t taking back a top 6 center back so it’s not.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Buffalo messed up big time not supporting Jack's Choice of surgery.
I don’t know if it’s that simple.

AFAIK The GM doesn’t make the decision as to what surgery Eichel gets. Their team of doctors does.

I don’t know if the GM could override his doctors and tell a player what type of surgery he needs to get even if he wanted to. It could set a dangerous precedence. Imagine if a GM could decide what type of surgery a player gets instead of the doctors.

I am unaware of a situation where the GM overrode the doctors decisions with regards to a major surgery.

The only one that I can think of is the McDavid situation. But it was different because his chosen route was NOT to have surgery and do rehab instead.

Also, there’s the issue of What would that do to Eichel’s injury insurance on his contract, if the GM overrode his team doctors and approved a surgery they are obviously strongly against?

The Sabres head doctor is one of the top spine surgeons in the country and was one of the innovators of artificial disc replacement surgery.

https://buffalospinesurgery.com/dr-andrew-cappuccino

Eichel had to see multiple doctors before he found one that was willing to do ADR. And even Eichel’s chosen doctor said he wouldn’t recommend ADR on an NFL player because of the hits they take (he tried to say they are different than in the NHL but I don’t see where an open field hit is any different than an open ice hit. Hits in hockey may be even more violent. Higher speeds + hard ice, etc).

There are many doctors who are against ADR for pro athletes in contact sports. From a panel with multiple spine surgeons: (they were all against ADR in pro athletes)

Spine and Sports: A Roundtable Discussion

Dr. Hecht: Let’s discuss some challenging management scenarios, beginning with a professional football player with a C4 to C5 posterolateral disk herniation with weakness in his deltoid who has exhausted all conservative care. What kind of surgery would you perform?

Dr. Vaccaro: I would perform an anterior cervical decompression and fusion (ACDF) using an allograft bone and a cervical plate. I would allow him to return to play 6 to 9 months after that procedure after he has completed rehabilitation and has full range of motion (ROM) and his strength back.

Dr. Watkins: My recommendation is a one-level anterior cervical fusion using allograft and a plate. I use a cortical allograft packed with autogenous cancellous bone from the iliac crest.
I would not recommend a total disk replacement. I think the unknown factors of artificial disk replacement preclude its use in high-performance athletes, and certainly not in those in sports that potentially involve head contact, including those playing in the National Basketball Association (NBA), National Hockey League (NHL), and Major League Baseball (MLB) players.

I would not perform a foraminotomy and posterior disk excision. The potential risk of instability and reherniation is too high in this athlete.

Dr. Dossett: I would also perform an ACDF with autologous iliac crest graft and a plate.

Dr. Hecht: I agree with the ACDF with allograft and instrumentation. I would not do a foraminotomy or disk replacement in a football player with a disk herniation. Would total disk replacement in this scenario be appropriate for a player in any other sport?

Dr. Vaccaro: If the player were involved in a noncontact sport, I would perform a disk replacement if the patient preferred it after I explained the risks and benefits. In athletes involved in sports that involve significant contact, I would avoid disk replacement.

Dr. Hsu: Although both foraminotomy and ACDF have been successful for National Football League players, they both have their challenges. ACDF can lead to adjacent segment degeneration and ultimately a two-level fusion that is currently incompatible with return to play.
Posterior foraminotomies also lead to problems because it’s been shown that up to 50% of professional athletes may require surgery at that index level in their lifetimes. ACDF probably has better long-term results in football players, but total disk arthroplasty is not indicated at this time.

Dr. Hecht: Even though there is adjacent segment degeneration after ACDF (2.9%/year), there is also an overlooked rate of adjacent segment degeneration after foraminotomy (1.8%/year). I would not perform a cervical disk replacement in any athlete with a risk of contact or collision. The success rate after ACDF is so high that I do not see any good reason to introduce this yet unknown risk of device failure in contact sports.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Yup that would be a fair deal IMO. It would be a unique trade given Eichel's health concerns or the investment Buffalo has already made and VGK might make.

In the end it has to be fair. I would put in conditions that if Eichel's career ends prematurely then all the 1sts that were given by VGK either get returned as 2nds OR half has 1sts and other halfs as 3rds

It would have to be very unique in terms of conditions. Only exception I would be fine with if VGK wins the cup with Eichel on the roster and playing

Reactions: CupInSIX

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think the media needs to step away from Eichel until their is definite news on the subject.

Yesterday: Vegas and Buffalo are in serious talks to get it done.
Today: Talks have cooled down.
Tomorrow: Calgary has stepped up talks in getting Eichel
5 days from now: Talks between Calgary and Buffalo have stalled.

It is getting ridicolous.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That’s not pressure. The pressure on the
Sabres will come when the insurance company says they will no longer pay their share of Jack’s 10 million. When the owner is on the hook for the full amount, then there will be pressure.

wrong again.

he’s injured, rest can treat it.

buffalo likely suspends him before mid season.

The insurance will cover him now because of injury. He gets fusion and can’t return he is covered. He has experimental surgery and it fails or he is reinjured they don’t cover.

there will likely be conditional picks tied to him playing again like if he plays 1 playoff game or 2 regular season games in 2021-22 or 2022-23 then buffalo gets a 1st in 2023.

I think a deal is something like

Tuch+Theodore+Dadanov + Krebs/Brisson +Prospect +condition picks for

Eichel+ Miller 50%/Pysyk + Bjork+Johnson

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
wrong again.

he’s injured, rest can treat it.

buffalo likely suspends him before mid season.

The insurance will cover him now because of injury. He gets fusion and can’t return he is covered. He has experimental surgery and it fails or he is reinjured they don’t cover.

there will likely be conditional picks tied to him playing again like if he plays 1 playoff game or 2 regular season games in 2021-22 or 2022-23 then buffalo gets a 1st in 2023.

I think a deal is something like

Tuch+Theodore+Dadanov + Krebs/Brisson +Prospect +condition picks for

Eichel+ Miller 50%/Pysyk + Bjork+Johnson

I don't know, but Tuch seems to be a playoff performer.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Did Friedman seriously report today that the talks between buffalo and Vegas have settled down? Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad