Speculation: Jack Eichel thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think a defenseman might be headed to Buffalo considering they signed Hutton and Whitecloud to contracts, seeing as they're both low-cost one with long-term and the other just a cheap contract.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Riley Smith may get moved somehow to NYR to open up some room. Gallant loves him, he has a big cap hit and nyr has room to absorb it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Am I crazy that I wouldn’t give up Theodore in an Eichel deal let alone add? Guys finished 6th in Norris voting twice in the last two years. He’s on a great contract for his entire prime. Gives Vegas two elite guys on the back end which is a big part of their identity.
I wouldn't wanna give up Thedore either. Even for Eichel. Especially since Vegas is in win now mode.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
you guys actually think they will move Theodore + Krebs

seems like a lott

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Smith, Tuch, Krebs and a 1st for Eichel.

Smith is a UFA so if the Sabres fall out of contention maybe they can get another 1st for him.

Tuch is only 25 and on a great contract.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
How is a top 6 player for a kid who couldn't crack their lineup a downgrade? They have the cap space this year.

I didn't say it was a downgrade. I said it didn't make sense logically. They have the cap space this year--a year where, with or without Smith, we aren't really a threat to go on a Cup run. Moving forward, as Fox, Laf, Kakko, and co start to get their extensions (and the potential need to acquire a 2C), there's no money to re-sign him. So why waste resources on a guy who isn't part of the long-term plan? Better to trade Krav for futures, because those futures might actually be able to help the team at some point when it will matter.

The trade has to make sense for the Rangers, too.

Something like Kravtsov and Strome at 50% retention for Brisson and Smith could work. For the Rangers, it gives them a "now piece" and a future piece at a position we need. For Vegas, it helps with your cap issue, gives you a future piece to include in the Eichel package, and includes a center to fill the gap while Eichel recovers from surgery (which then becomes really great center depth once Eichel is back, as you gear up for the playoffs).

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
All I can do is LOL at people thinking a trade is happening any time soon.

Not a chance unless Buffalo sells for penny’s on the dollar.

That ain’t happening.

It's probably gonna happen within next month or so. NHL is putting pressure on Sabres to resolve the matter, don't want to deal with any legal headaches from Eichel filing grievance

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Am I crazy that I wouldn’t give up Theodore in an Eichel deal let alone add? Guys finished 6th in Norris voting twice in the last two years. He’s on a great contract for his entire prime. Gives Vegas two elite guys on the back end which is a big part of their identity.

Elite center most important ingredient of winning the cup. Vegas lacks that. It's really the only thing they lack. They would be incredibly dumb if they didn't take that trade straight up.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
What’s the chance Eichel is not the same player after the surgery? Was he the problem in Buffalo? Buyer beware!!! But if he goes to Vegas and they have to give up Theodore or Tuch to get him plus picks and prospects they probably end up worse then they are now so I’m all for it.

Replacing a middle 6 winger with a top 10 center somehow makes the team worse.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I didn't say it was a downgrade. I said it didn't make sense logically. They have the cap space this year--a year where, with or without Smith, we aren't really a threat to go on a Cup run. Moving forward, as Fox, Laf, Kakko, and co start to get their extensions (and the potential need to acquire a 2C), there's no money to re-sign him. So why waste resources on a guy who isn't part of the long-term plan? Better to trade Krav for futures, because those futures might actually be able to help the team at some point when it will matter.

The trade has to make sense for the Rangers, too.

Something like Kravtsov and Strome at 50% retention for Brisson and Smith could work. For the Rangers, it gives them a "now piece" and a future piece at a position we need. For Vegas, it helps with your cap issue, gives you a future piece to include in the Eichel package, and includes a center to fill the gap while Eichel recovers from surgery (which then becomes really great center depth once Eichel is back, as you gear up for the playoffs).

Ignoring the fact that Strome even at 50% doesn't help in a cap dump, they still have Stephenson Karlsson and Roy. Adding Eichel (even though he's on the shelf) and Strome at once doesn't make much sense.

And turning sulking Kravtsov into Brisson is all kinds of ridiculous. He has more value than Lias Andresson did, but not that much. Keep in mind NYR had to wait until they finally got a 2nd after being lowballed. Edmonton was lowballed on Puljujarvi so much they just decided to keep him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Replacing a middle 6 winger with a top 10 center somehow makes the team worse.
Vegas would obviously be worse in the short term, because Jack will not be able to play for several months. I can’t see Vegas giving up important roster guys unless the Sabres supported Jack in his choice of surgery and he was playing already. But Buffalo didn’t do that, so the return for Jack is going to be adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad