Value of: Jack Campbell's next deal in TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will Campbell get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Given that goalies like Petersen, Merzlikins, Saros, Shesterkin and Ullmark all signed for $5 or more just this past off season, I don't see Campbell signing for any less than that. I would vote for $5-$6 AAV.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think 4 years at 4.75M approximately. Team loves him, city loves him, he loves the team and the city.

Rielly took a bit less, I could see Campbell doing the same.
I read very similar posts about Hyman. His family has money, he doesn't need to cash in and he loves Toronto - yada, yada, yada - now Hyman has cashed in with the Oilers. If the Leafs don't want to pay him market value I could see Campbell having the same fate.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He should be looking for his payday as this would be is first big contract. He might not stay in Toronto unless they can unload other contracts, which they should since he's been excellent for them.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I read very similar posts about Hyman. His family has money, he doesn't need to cash in and he loves Toronto - yada, yada, yada - now Hyman has cashed in with the Oilers. If the Leafs don't want to pay him market value I could see Campbell having the same fate.

Reilly also took a pretty fair contract. Not a discount . We have no idea if anyone would have offered him more. Other than Spezza, I haven't seen Dubas ever signing a discounted deal.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Reilly also took a pretty fair contract. Not a discount . We have no idea if anyone would have offered him more. Other than Spezza, I haven't seen Dubas ever signing a discounted deal.

FWIW Tavares was being offered more by other teams in free agency. So he did technically take a discount to sign here. Not debating whether or not he's worth the cap hit, but he did turn down bigger offers to give us a hometown discount and play here.

Nylander contract was another fair value deal, not a discount though (at the time) right now it's looking like a steal.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd look to see what happens in the playoffs first, unless Dubas can sign him for something cheap and easily moveable. There is no reason to commit big money and a lot of years to him until you see how the playoffs go. He looks great, but I couldn't care less about regular season numbers.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I wonder if the Leafs flex their ability to spend money and offer him something ridiculous like $4 mil X 8 Years

front load the f*** out of the contract, give him something like Tavares where we pay like 90% of his contract in the first years signing bonus.

that way we can hold onto him for 5 or 6 years and then buy him out or trade him if he’s still able to play.

it’ll be cheap to buyout because by year 5 he will just be making league min with no bonuses.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd look to see what happens in the playoffs first, unless Dubas can sign him for something cheap and easily moveable. There is no reason to commit big money and a lot of years to him until you see how the playoffs go. He looks great, but I couldn't care less about regular season numbers.

His price will only go up by then. Not to mention He’d be likely to entertain offers from other teams at that point. This is partly where we went wrong with the big 3, should have signed them soon as we could have, we’d have much better contracts.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
My original guess was $5.5 x 6 in Toronto, or $6 x 6 elsewhere. Puts him on par with Markstrom (who was the same age when his deal kicked in).

Does $5.5m work for Toronto? I'm not sure... but I don't see how Dubas keeps his job if he loses Campbell at $6m.

I'd revise my guess -- I think out of desparation, the Leafs will give him a 7th, or maybe an 8th year, and get the AAV down closer to $5m.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anybody who locks into that will regret it quickly
For such a central and important position such as goalie, 6 million is definitely not that high. Top goalies get top AAV just like other positions. The Flames signed Markstrom for 6 million AAV.

Of course, with Markstrom there was no shortage of fans smearing the deal when he wasnt putting up great numbers, but GMs prefer to gamble on talent, rather than gamble on not having it. I could see Campbell having a similar kind of progression as Markstrom

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
5 years x $5.5mil

Mrazek, Ritchie and Kerfoot will likely be cap casualties. Dubas might need to move out some more picks to offload those players depending how their seasons finish.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Not sure why everyone is assuming it will be under $5 mill. He’s playing way above that level - last season & this season
The reason I think under $5 is he will take a team discount to help with the cap Hes to nice of a guy to sit out for more.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He is a Vezina quality before his deal is signed, and then the second the Leafs have an extension in place at say 5 x 4.5AAV he will be the most overpaid 1A in the league...

I love this place

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wonder if the Leafs flex their ability to spend money and offer him something ridiculous like $4 mil X 8 Years

front load the f*** out of the contract, give him something like Tavares where we pay like 90% of his contract in the first years signing bonus.

that way we can hold onto him for 5 or 6 years and then buy him out or trade him if he’s still able to play.

it’ll be cheap to buyout because by year 5 he will just be making league min with no bonuses.

That's probably the only way for the Leafs to keep him around on an affordable deal. Campbell seems like a guy who likes being on the Leafs and is loyal to Dubas for giving him a chance, so I could see him agreeing to this sort of structure. This is really going to be Soup's one big payday, so maybe getting a "lifetime deal" is a bit more amenable to him too.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Knowing the leafs, they will give him 8 year $64 million contract Worth $8 million per season he will then suck and the leafs will be forced to trade him and eat salary. lol

Reactions: Seattlebjprice

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
It will be in the 5-6MM range assuming he continues his stellar play until the end of the season.

For a guy that's barely played 100 games in the NHL, no way does get 6 million. He's probably worth about 3.5-4.5M, depending on how the season goes, some suckers of a GM will prob offer him the higher range of it, no doubts. I see him re-upping in Toronto for 4 years/3.5 per.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
For a guy that's barely played 100 games in the NHL, no way does get 6 million. He's probably worth about 3.5-4.5M, depending on how the season goes, some suckers of a GM will prob offer him the higher range of it, no doubts. I see him re-upping in Toronto for 4 years/3.5 per.

:laugh:

3.5? That's backup money bro.

You're in fantasy land.

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
:laugh:

3.5? That's backup money bro.

You're in fantasy land.

You do realize that Dubas and Keefe never had any intentions of him being the starter right? Dubas wouldn't have brought in Mrazek if that were the case lol! Dubas's plan was to have a platoon style combo in net this season and going forward, injuries have derailed it slightly.I have no doubts when Mrazek is healthy, that he and Soup split the load going forward.

3.5M is a very reasonable offer for him.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Soon to be 30, played for multiple NHL teams, currently hot, looking at a chance to cash in the big money contract and play for an actual 'Cup contender? I say Campbell hits that free-agency hard for his shot at the mega-millions and pathway towards a Playoff championship.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You do realize that Dubas and Keefe never had any intentions of him being the starter right? Dubas wouldn't have brought in Mrazek if that were the case lol! Dubas's plan was to have a platoon style combo in net this season and going forward, injuries have derailed it slightly.I have no doubts when Mrazek is healthy, that he and Soup split the load going forward.

3.5M is a very reasonable offer for him.

So their shitty plan didn't workout, his great play saved their ass, and now he should go back to being in a tandem?

This fanbase, smh

Reactions: dukeofjive

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Dubas's plan was to have a platoon style combo in net this season and going forward, injuries have derailed it slightly.

Okay, mini-rant here not meant to derail the thread, but please, people stop saying "going forward" (or its just as bad cousin "moving forward"), it literally adds nothing to the point you are trying to make.

The second time you use it (quoted above) is completely redundant to your point. Try instead: "I have no doubts when Mrazek is healthy that he and Soup (will) split the load."

The first instance you make it worse by using it wrong. "Dubas's plan was to have a platoon style combo in net this season and going forward, injuries have derailed it slightly." Try instead, "Dubas's plan was to have a platoon style combo in net this season (but) injuries have derailed it slightly."

Yeah, I know, but it's been a pet peeve of mine since someone in the business world a few decades ago came up with the idea that adding "forward" to a sentence implied action and/or positivity. (Newscasters and sports broadcasters somehow picked up on this are the worst culprits. I think Dreger, for instance, can't go two sentences without saying it. Don't be Dreger.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad