Value of: Jack Campbell's next deal in TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will Campbell get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What’s a vezina contender worth? He wins the Vezina right now.

I’d say in the 7-9 mill range at least

Dubas and Co 25 seconds into Campbell meeting.
6 players at 55 mill is no worry

nod-of-approval-ok.gif

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
I really hope you're trolling because you don't even know what you don't even know.

This is an example of someone just completely being out of touch with reality.

If Campbell keeps up this strong play over the course of the season, the number will be starting at 5.

3.5M is the going rate for a good third liner. Jack Campbell is looking to be a legitimate starter with very little mileage on him, meaning he can probably be great for another 5-6 years. You think a third liner is worth more the same as Campbell? Tanner Pearson makes $3M btw.

The fact you are comparing 3rd liners salaries to goaltenders, tells me you don't know your head from your asshole bud. Again, the plan was never to have soup be the #1.... if that were the case, why would Dubas go out and she'll out $3.8 on Mrazek, when he could have signed any run of the mill back ups for 1/3 of that price? Grow some brain cells.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Campbell is a nice guy, but probably not a sucker.

I think he will go for the going rate, which starts at $5-million for a starting goalie.

That's what the Leafs paid for Andersen when he came over, and I don't see Campbell signing for less. Why should he?
Good let him walk and run with mrazek and woll.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
Well if he keeps up his play. Then an easy 5+ but I just hope he really enjoys Toronto. Would hate to lose him due to cap

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I suspect a fair number of contract predictions in the thread have undervalued the fact he's 30 and so far has a career high of just 29 games played (including a combination of reg season and playoffs).

He’s not a guy who came out of nowhere. He was an 11th overall draft pick, very highly regarded goalie prospect. Iirc Dubas made a blockbuster trade in the OHL to acquire him, and then he traded for him in the NHL. Leafs should sign him now instead of waiting for him to win the Vezina. That would probably get him to 7m on the open market.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He’s not a guy who came out of nowhere. He was an 11th overall draft pick, very highly regarded goalie prospect. Iirc Dubas made a blockbuster trade in the OHL to acquire him, and then he traded for him in the NHL. Leafs should sign him now instead of waiting for him to win the Vezina. That would probably get him to 7m on the open market.

He played 34 games for Soo and don't even think they made the playoffs that year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's always had skill, but he's also been a late bloomer in terms of bringing it all together. Leafs certainly made a shrewd trade for him when they did

But fact remains this is his first NHL season as a starter. Which is going to constrain (to a degree) his next contract.

I can potentially see him getting closer to 5 assuming he stays consistent for the rest of the year and playoffs. Him getting something like 7 would be near unprecedented given his limited playing history so not sure I'd ever see that happening.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I said this before but I’ll say it again now that this thread is gaining traction again.

4 million x 8 years

front load the contract (like Tavares) so that by the time years 6/7/8 come he will only be on the books for league min. That’s easily tradeable if he is still a quality goaltender and if not it’s an easy and cheap contract to buy out.

Campbell gets the equivalent of $6.25/5Years and gets to stay long term with the team he apparently loves.

Also with Wolls recent play there is a chance that next year we no longer have a need for Mrazek. If so that’s an easily tradeable contract that will allow us to pay Campbell more.

either way I think the leafs should flex their ability to spend large sums of cash (signing bonuses and the ability to buyout contracts) and the fact that they can offer 8 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I said this before but I’ll say it again now that this thread is gaining traction again.

4 million x 8 years

front load the contract (like Tavares) so that by the time years 6/7/8 come he will only be on the books for league min. That’s easily tradeable if he is still a quality goaltender and if not it’s an easy and cheap contract to buy out.

Campbell gets the equivalent of $6.25/5Years and gets to stay long term with the team he apparently loves.

Also with Wolls recent play there is a chance that next year we no longer have a need for Mrazek. If so that’s an easily tradeable contract that will allow us to pay Campbell more.

either way I think the leafs should flex their ability to spend large sums of cash (signing bonuses and the ability to buyout contracts) and the fact that they can offer 8 years.

What's so "easily tradable" about Mrazek? Don't see a huge market for him.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
It is too early to talk about the Vezina, there are too many goalies in the mix.

I could see a team offering 2 years @ 5 million or a little bit more depending on level of competition.

If Toronto wants sub 5 million I would imagine they will need to tack on a bunch of years (5 or 6).
Its not too early to talk Vezina. We need to pump up Campbell as much as possible. We are 1/4 through the season already and Campbell leads in most categories. All the goalies in the mix are behind Campbell. We can give Campbell 5.5 to 6 million just be getting rid of some garbage. Mikheyev, addition by subtraction. Same as Kerfoot. We have replacements already in the system.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He's always had skill, but he's also been a late bloomer in terms of bringing it all together. Leafs certainly made a shrewd trade for him when they did

But fact remains this is his first NHL season as a starter. Which is going to constrain (to a degree) his next contract.

I can potentially see him getting closer to 5 assuming he stays consistent for the rest of the year and playoffs. Him getting something like 7 would be near unprecedented given his limited playing history so not sure I'd ever see that happening.

What do you think he gets on the UFA market if wins the Vezina?

Jul 10, 2003
KW

4 million x 8 years

If we gave him the 4m x 8yrs, and bought him out the last 3 years, what are the cap implications?

edit: is it still 2/3 of the cap hit spread over twice as many years? Ie 1.333 x 6 years if had 3 years remaining at 4m?

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Woll playing well is gonna make his value sink a little. It's quite obvious the progress the Leafs have made as a team defensively is a huge reason why they're having success. Campbell has been lights out as well, bailing us out countless times but the way even Woll has looked definitely suggests the system is working and clearly working to Campbells favor. I wish we would've re-signed him after last season, probably could've got him for like 4M. Likely gets in the 5M range if he keeps this up.

Reactions: leafsfan5 and Budz

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Soupy has played well. I pray they do not throw big money at him though.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What’s a vezina contender worth? He wins the Vezina right now.

I’d say in the 7-9 mill range at least

???? last years vezina finalist with a way longer track record got a 5.9 AAV
2 years before that a vezina finalist got 5 AAV

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Campbells family is from port Huron which is 4 hr drive from Toronto.
His girlfriend is from Toronto.
He says he loves it here and wants to sign here
He played in the OHL voluntarily

heck he named his cat after the team

who knows where it will go but dubas rightly or wrongly always seems to tell people what is happening.

he said that he would sign rielly but it might take a little into the year. He got him 10 games in

he said he was saving money to sign Campbell and his next moves have to keep in mind space for him. Dubas doesn’t say things and they don’t happen. He is too open with the media.

Anything can happen. But the idea that it’s a mercenary would be surprising

Reactions: Sundinisagod

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
This poll range is odd, I'd say it's 5mil+ right now and likely going to rise.

Players can always surprise with a discount but those are rarer than people would like to think. If he signed say 5 x 4.75m today that's him taking a decent paycut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad