Value of: Jack Campbell's next deal in TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will Campbell get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Toronto is going to keep playing as well defensively as they have lately, he should try his best to stay there. Like Binnington. Maybe they aren't really great goalies overall, but if you got handed the ball and are rocking in a certain spot, just stay. The LEAST he should get is 5x$5M. Maybe he can chase for more, or maybe if he wins a Vezina or Stanley Cup even the Leafs will have to offer him more, though. But he shouldn't take less than $25M at this point.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
6 years $25m total= $4.16 aav TML financial flex special front loaded bonus laden deal.
Right now there’s $5.35m committed to the goaltenders. They just have to trade off mrazek to one of any number of teams looking to ride the platoon goalie carousel next off-season and sign a cheaper back up.

No one will want Mrazek. 3+ mill for a goalie whose been injured all season, nah.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Where’s the “not in Toronto option”

Well it's more of a question of what TOR can afford to pay him if he stays in TOR.

He could very well leave but it doesn't seem likely, unless his character of loving the team is all a big lie and good acting.

Cap inflation. The best UFAs will just take some of that money. Not that one player will take all of that 1 mill, but a rising cap doesn't give teams more flexibility unless all of their players are already signed.

For sure but it's a good sign of things to come though.
If the cap goes up even a million a year, we're at around 85 mil by 2024-25.
Could be more than a million starting from 2023 on.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
A discount is likely wishful thinking. Not because I doubt he wants to play here, but he's nearly 30 and has $4.3 million career earnings. This will likely be his one big contract.

His age/experience are working against him. Might be able to keep the cap hit down if we offer more term than would be typical of a 30 year old. There are 19 active goalies on contracts signed after their 30th birthday. Only 4 signed for more than 3 years, all of which have significantly more games played as well as multiple years as a starter.

I want to see a weird contract. Give him 8x$3m.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Petr Mrazek signed a 3 x 3.8 M contract while only playing 12 games (.923 sv%) in his contract year. Before this, he played 40 games (.905 sv%), 40 games (.914 sv%), 17 games (.891 sv%). Therefore, in the previous 109 games, Mrazek had a .908 sv%. Important to note that Mrazek is injury prone.

Jack Campbell in his time in Toronto has a .929 sv% in 44 games. With the LA Kings, in 57 games, Jack Campbell had .919 sv%. If Campbell wins the Venezia trophy, I think that will add at least 1 M in cost.

For me, if Campbell play regressed to a .919 level, he will get 5 years at 4.25 M. If he keeps up his current play but wins no Venezia trophy, 5 years x 5 M. If he wins the Venezia, 6 M x 6.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well it's more of a question of what TOR can afford to pay him if he stays in TOR.

He could very well leave but it doesn't seem likely, unless his character of loving the team is all a big lie and good acting.

For sure but it's a good sign of things to come though.
If the cap goes up even a million a year, we're at around 85 mil by 2024-25.
Could be more than a million starting from 2023 on.
he could absolutely love the team/city but still bolt for a better contract, especially if the Leafs try to lowball him. it's a business, on both sides
how many times do you see a player leave then come back and sign a 1 day contract to retire with the team they left? careers are short, make some money while ya can
and there are some good teams that would likely want his services. not like he'd have to go to a bottom feeder to get paid

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
For sure they will. 1B goalie at 3 million+ is a good contract. The season is a quarter of the way done. Lots of time left for him to play.

He's going to need a lot of games and play really great to recover in value. Carolina let him walk and went and got a better goalie in raanta for less cost. I don't see anyone wanting him when they can pay only 2.2 mill extra for Campbell.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He's going to need a lot of games and play really great to recover in value. Carolina let him walk and went and got a better goalie in raanta for less cost. I don't see anyone wanting him when they can pay only 2.2 mill extra for Campbell.

On the open market, Campbell could be more than an extra 2.2, and a big 'if' he even becomes a ufa.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I find it funny that on the main boards Leafs players aren’t good until it’s time to discuss their next contract

It’s more that people point out that most players aren’t going to take a discount like the fans think. It didn’t happen with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, etc. Why would it happen now? Especially when we’re talking about someone who hasn’t made much money. He’s at 4.3 million in career earnings, with his highest paid years coming in the pandemic where escrow eats a lot of that up. Realistically he’s maybe made what like a million dollars, after tax, in his career? He needs to take the biggest payday that gets offered, regardless of who offers it. Just look at Maroon. He got to win a cup in front of his son (and a couple more after). The talk after he was in Edmonton was that the discussions were like 4x4, and he made a quarter of that because he took the discount to play for the team he wanted to. He’d have like tripled his career earnings if he’d just taken the payday.

A discount is likely wishful thinking. Not because I doubt he wants to play here, but he's nearly 30 and has $4.3 million career earnings. This will likely be his one big contract.

His age/experience are working against him. Might be able to keep the cap hit down if we offer more term than would be typical of a 30 year old. There are 19 active goalies on contracts signed after their 30th birthday. Only 4 signed for more than 3 years, all of which have significantly more games played as well as multiple years as a starter.

I want to see a weird contract. Give him 8x$3m.

Exactly. He needs to take the money for the sake of setting himself up to be comfortable financially.

I feel like you’d still have to go higher than 8x3. 5x5 is more money with a chance to get even more if he’s still good at 35. Even 8x3.5 might do it though (with a NMC)

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It's the Leafs and Dubas so without a Vezina we're probably look at $14M/yr for 5 years or so

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Is there a link to Carolina letting him walk? Maybe he wanted to test free agency and liked Toronto more.

What will those teams do if Campbell is signed?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The Mrazek deal of 3 x $3.8 mil seems to be the range Dubas will try and start with but what will Campbell demand and ultimately get in TOR?

Just over a 100 career NHL games, decent year in LA (2018-19) and his time in TOR has been fairly elite so far.

He turns 30 this January so he'll be nearing 31 by the time the new deal kicks in.

4yrs x $4.25 mil seem like a fit?
Not really sure where he lands with such a small but very respectable resume at 30yrs old.

EDIT - changing my above prediction to 5yrs x $4.5 to 5 million

What say you?
*move to polls if need be MODs*

My guess is 4 X $3.75 million and then some random sponsor connected to MLSE signs a large commercial deal with Campbell.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It’s more that people point out that most players aren’t going to take a discount like the fans think. It didn’t happen with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, etc. Why would it happen now?

lol what is this straw man garbage. How did fans think Tavares would take a discount when they literally didn't know he was signing until it happened? People weren't saying the young guys were taking discounts either, the heck. Their signings were largely contentious from the start.

The actual people that had noticeable discount discussions were Hyman and Rielly. Rielly did seem to take a bit of a discount, espec Hyman didn't though I don't know if the Leafs ever offered him anything close.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly if I was Soupy and I had a great year and set to become a UFA... I'd see what the open market had to offer before I signed a contract with Toronto.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
2 recent comparables:

Ullmark - 4 x $5M
Grubauer - 6 x $5.9M

I think that Campbell is somewhere in that range. Under no circumstances can I see him getting less than Ullmark. It all depends on how agressive Campbell wants to be, but given his age and lack of career earnings, I doubt he leaves much meat on the bone with this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad