Value of: Jack Campbell's next deal in TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will Campbell get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I dont think anyone is questioning this but the theme of the thread revolves around him having 102 career NHL games, this will be his 45th game for TOR tonight (7 playoffs games with TOR as well) and he will be 30 in a few months.

It's an unique situation and interesting topic to discuss. Nobody is right or wrong until he signs the new deal and we all see the term and money.

I could see 5x$6

Front loaded to the max and maximum signing bonuses allowed.

Funny, I knew Campbell was good the moment he started playing for the Leafs. So, he's actually a decent goalie eh?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Should be the Markstrom/Grubauer contract.

Dubas will need it closer to $5 mil, an extra mil saved, the extra million in cap raise. There's 2 million.

Move Kerfoot or Holl and you have $4-5 mil in cap space with one trade, more if both are moved with minimal cap coming back.
Another couple million (6 or so million) to add 2 solid depth players. TOR currently has a projected $6.2 mill in space this offseason.

Also pay for raises to Kase, Sandin and Liljegren.

I think Dubas will target a 2nd pairing RD and a solid shutdown vet 3C.
Bring Speeza back for one more farewell tour and promote one or two of his forward prospects.
Engvall will be gone too.

Mrazek will become a cap casualty next offseason. They need to develop a goalie sometime soon, one ready to take over for Jack in 4-5 yrs time.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Dépends how the rest of the season goes, if he stays healthy and gets over 35 wins with his stats not falling too hard then he could earn as much as 6 and Toronto won’t be able to afford to pay him more than 5.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think 4 years at 4.75M approximately. Team loves him, city loves him, he loves the team and the city.

Rielly took a bit less, I could see Campbell doing the same.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
6 years $25m total= $4.16 aav TML financial flex special front loaded bonus laden deal.
Right now there’s $5.35m committed to the goaltenders. They just have to trade off mrazek to one of any number of teams looking to ride the platoon goalie carousel next off-season and sign a cheaper back up.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
agree Mr Lurker... IF he continues as he is now, Campbell is prolly gonna sign somewhere for around 5yrs, 27-30m

he is NOT signing a 3yr 12-14m contract lol

and good point about the taxes. I always wonder why some folks think a player, on a limited career span, would take less money to play in more expensive areas. And TOR is DEF expensive
Bonus and salary and taxed differently. As an American I believe he’d be subjected to 15% tax on bonus.

Ledge And Dairy

Think some are forgetting the Leafs will likely offer him a ton of signing bonus money to keep the AAV down a bit.

• So say $4.5 mil x 5yrs but if $3.5 mil of that is in signing bonus, it will be better than him getting $5.5 mil x 5yrs but mostly in salary.

Some saying he's getting 6 x 6 seem exaggerated. He'll be 30 and has 100 NHL games.
If he gets 6 yrs, the AAV should be under or right at $5 million or Dubas got fleeced.
Leafs are not the only team that can offer signing bonuses. Chicago for example can easily match their signing bonus amount and offer him more money and term as well as would ahve the potential need for a goalie

Mar 26, 2010
Jack loves the Big City…he is playing in the biggest hockey market in the NHL, and Toronto is a World Class City on top of that. I would say he is staying in Toronto on a friendly deal.

Players like the bright lights and center of the hockey universe that is Toronto. It is attractive.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Jack loves the Big City…he is playing in the biggest hockey market in the NHL, and Toronto is a World Class City on top of that. I would say he is staying in Toronto on a friendly deal.

Players like the bright lights and center of the hockey universe that is Toronto. It is attractive.
Meh let’s see if they lose in round 1 and leaf fans throw blame and turn on him instead of their star players.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
TOR would have to move one of/or both Ritchie and Kerfoot and then make some other key but cheap depth moves or promote more rookies no?

Think they have $7.2 mil in space ($1 mil raise in cap missing from CapFriendly), that's without moving Kerfoot or Ritchie.

Kase may make a case to be re-signed as well, Sandin and Liljegren likely get a slight bump, maybe 200-300k per extra.

With attendance being down do you think the cap will still be going up?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I would be absolutely shocked I they can't come to terms and jack leaves. I may be wrong, probably am, but Jack Campbell is probably one of only a few maple leafs that would take less to stay in Toronto.

The guy has a heart of gold so he doesn't need to much of a raise.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There are 17 goalies with cap hits of $5M+. If he keeps plying like he has been since getting to TO anything less than a top 10 cap hit which would be $6M should be viewed as a big win for the team that git him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
With attendance being down do you think the cap will still be going up?

Unless there is a major resurgence of covid and arenas get shut down an increase is a sure thing. Revenues only need to get to $3.3M to start triggering an increase. Even with lower attendance hitting $4.8B in revenue is pretty likely given all of the new revenue that has come on stream over the last two years.

Bettman's October projection was for over $5B in revenue. That gives teams as much as $7M in cushion to make up for lower attendance than expected at that time.

NHL Forecasts Over $5B in Revenue - Front Office Sports

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Normally I could see a guy like that taking a lesser deal but my guess is his agent will keep him very aware that it is probably his last shot for a bigger deal.

That could change if he just really decides Toronto is the place he wants to be, but in his shoes it would be hard not to take the biggest contract I could and make sure I'm comfortable for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad