Proposal: J.T. Miller to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Another way to say that would be , if another team wants to pay what Miller is worth then good on them . The reality is we won't know the reality until he's actually traded and previous trades by other teams will have little to no bearing on what the Canucks receive as compensation when he is moved .

Reality is HF Value and League Value are often different with the exception of the Duchene trade. This is a fact.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Personally, I don't think so.. but it depends how you value Kravtsov. I don't see Lundkvist as anything more than a B prospect. I still think Knies is the best prospect in the deal, but hey that's up for debate.

Even if
Kravtsov > Knies
Dermott > Lundkvist
1st = 1st
4th
Kerfoot (likely would get a 2nd+B prospect).

Still an overpay and a better package in this deal. Again though, I get argue incompetence.

No, LOL wow, no.

Again if Kerfoot gets that then why don't the Leafs trade him?

Also Lundkvist fills a need, Dermott does not.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
A late 1st and not much else. Canucks can find a better deal, I’m sure.

A 1st, 40 - 50 point player (on pace for 58) and arguably the Leafs top prospect. Give your head a shake.

Sure another team could beat the offer, but the people who are making like the package is trash are delusional.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Reality is HF Value and League Value are often different with the exception of the Duchene trade. This is a fact.

The leafs gave up a 1st rounder for a 33 year old, 16 point, UFA, Nick Foligno only last year, do you honestly think the difference between Foligno and Miller in terms of trade value is a B prospect?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
To which point a late 2022 1st + Knies + 4th isnt enough value. It would require around the value of another late 1st.
Great than you guys can flip them yourselves.
Lol this isn’t how it works, and the two of you are either being obtuse on purpose or neither of you pay a lot of attention. Teams almost always take back salary to accommodate a trade, often with the eye of flipping those players later for more value. Kerfoot would represent a pretty darn good cap ballast player with future value.
I’m not even big on moving Kerfoot until the off-season personally as he’s one of the better playoff performers on the team and is a valuable PK piece.
Not to mention after July he’s owed league minimum for his last year and would hold immense value for a cap floor team or someone who cares about real dollars vs cap hit.
If Vancouver would eat 50% I would offer a 1st + pick of 1 of the leafs 4 top prospects + a conditional 2nd that becomes a first if leafs make cup final either playoffs.
There would have to be some salary manipulation though like swapping dermott/Holl and Schenn to make it fully work salary wise.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
This is worse than what the Canucks paid for Miller before he broke out with them. Although Kerfoot is fine in TO he would be another Sam Gagner type player in Vancouver who would eventually be bought out or traded with retention.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The real reason is that no GM in their right mind would give up a 2nd round pick for Kerfoot when he's signed @ $3.5M for another year and the cap isn't going up.
A guy pacing for 55+ With all of it 5V5 aside from the few SH he contributed (no point time) would easily fetch a 2nd +.
He’s not being sold for that during the season because the leafs aren’t sellers and he’s an important player on a top 5 team.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
This is worse than what the Canucks paid for Miller before he broke out with them. Although Kerfoot is fine in TO he would be another Sam Gagner type player in Vancouver who would eventually be bought out or traded with retention.
He’s nothing like Gagner. He actually plays with heart and grit. Not to mention he’s a local Vancouver guy. I don’t see how he wouldn’t be a positive addition to that line up.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lol this isn’t how it works, and the two of you are either being obtuse on purpose or neither of you pay a lot of attention. Teams almost always take back salary to accommodate a trade, often with the eye of flipping those players later for more value. Kerfoot would represent a pretty darn good cap ballast player with future value.
I’m not even big on moving Kerfoot until the off-season personally as he’s one of the better playoff performers on the team and is a valuable PK piece.
Not to mention after July he’s owed league minimum for his last year and would hold immense value for a cap floor team or someone who cares about real dollars vs cap hit.
If Vancouver would eat 50% I would offer a 1st + pick of 1 of the leafs 4 top prospects + a conditional 2nd that becomes a first if leafs make cup final either playoffs.
There would have to be some salary manipulation though like swapping dermott/Holl and Schenn to make it fully work salary wise.

They also offer better value then a 1st and a b prospect when taking back salary.

Great then keep him and tell your fellow fans that we don't want him.

That sounds a lot better then the OP, at the very least a starting point to a trade.

Honestly don't want to give up Schenn he has been decent enough for us given his salary.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
A 1st, 40 - 50 point player (on pace for 58) and arguably the Leafs top prospect. Give your head a shake.

Sure another team could beat the offer, but the people who are making like the package is trash are delusional.
Knies is not the Leafs top prospect. Christ there are 3 other Leaf prospect rated ahead ahead of him.
1- Rated 20th-Robertson
2- Rated 21th-Anirov
3- Rated 29th-Niemela
4- Rated 54th Knies.
Funny how since his name was mentioned in a trade offer he is now being mentioned as being the Leafs top prospect.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
A guy pacing for 55+ With all of it 5V5 aside from the few SH he contributed (no point time) would easily fetch a 2nd +.
He’s not being sold for that during the season because the leafs aren’t sellers and he’s an important player on a top 5 team.

Everybody knows he only racked up those assists because he has played exclusively with Tavares and either Nylander or Marner this season. Kerfoot is a career 35ish point player which is not at all worth $3.5M against a flat cap.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Keep in mind he is doing this with a team that is 4th in scoring, on the Canucks and any other offensively inept team he is not that player. I have said this before, Tanner Pearson would be pacing for 55+ if he played for the Leafs and he damn sure isn't worth a 2nd, and no team would value him as such given that context.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Personally, I don't think so.. but it depends how you value Kravtsov. I don't see Lundkvist as anything more than a B prospect. I still think Knies is the best prospect in the deal, but hey that's up for debate.

Even if
Kravtsov > Knies
Dermott > Lundkvist
1st = 1st
4th
Kerfoot (likely would get a 2nd+B prospect).

Still an overpay and a better package in this deal. Again though, I get argue incompetence.
Between the two i easily take Lundkvist over Dermott.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
The leafs gave up a 1st rounder for a 33 year old, 16 point, UFA, Nick Foligno only last year, do you honestly think the difference between Foligno and Miller in terms of trade value is a B prospect?

Right and this deal would give up not only a 1st, but also:

Dermott - (RFA Controlled Asset)
Kerfoot - (C/LW 40 point)
Knies - B+ Prospect
4th

I don't see where Foligno plays into the mix here. There's a long list of Teams that overpay for assets at the deadline. The cost of giving a first is a lot less of a gamble then the one mentioned in this thread. Maybe Canucks get lucky.. land a massive deal. I'm just saying the direct Rangers trade proposed is inferior.

Leafs are a playoff Team and wouldn't move Kerfoot unless it meant getting a better forward back. He definitely has value and I have no doubt he'd get a 2nd +. Playoff teams add assets afterall....

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To Vancouver:
1st round pick 2022
4th round pick 2023
Alex Kerfoot
Travis Dermott
Matthew Knies

To Toronto: J.T. Miller

Hard, hard pass from Toronto's perspective.

The "deal" for Miller to Toronto pretty simply boils down to:
- One of Robertson, Amirov, or maybe Liljegren
- 1st Round Pick 2022
- Travis Dermott or a 3rd
- Some conditional 2023 pick depending on the Leafs success in either year

for Miller at 50%

"Buying" teams dont subtract material / important players like Kerfoot from their roster.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The real reason is that no GM in their right mind would give up a 2nd round pick for Kerfoot when he's signed @ $3.5M for another year and the cap isn't going up.
[mod] Hes an excellent two way player, great on the pk and plays physical for a smaller guy. Only reason leafs would put him in a deal is to upgrade on him ie Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
[mod] Hes an excellent two way player, great on the pk and plays physical for a smaller guy. Only reason leafs would put him in a deal is to upgrade on him ie Miller.

Great. None of that changes the fact that the extra year @ $3.5M kills his trade value in a flat cap league. If he was on an expiring deal you might get a 2nd for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Miller would be a great addition to most teams but the fan asks in here of for example 1st, Knies, Liljegren and say kerfoot for Miller at 50% is lunacy. There's no way in hell Miller is worth that for just 2 playoff runs. Also the amount of authority fans of other teams speak with in regards to leaf prospects and players when they are so willfully ignorant in regards to them is actually sad.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How do you figure the Canucks can't afford to sign him to an extension that won't kick in until 2023-24? They have plenty of time to move other contracts out before then.

People talk about moving contract all of the time yet rarely it happens unless it's Arizona and look at them right now.

Miller is a UFA for 23-24 he may very well cash in on that.

Sure the Myers contract is up but we have very little in the system defensively and the OEL contract will still be on the books as well as Horvat needing to be resigned and Elias a year away.

All of this on top of Brock possibly needing to be qualified no I don't think the Canucks can really afford Miller and what would be the point anyway as they still wouldn't be a SC contender with the moves needed to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad