Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
From another poster…don’t blame the messenger lol

“MM had a segment with Yohe here are the main points:

--Pens were ready to hire a GM right before Dubas was fired. Pens asked for permission and are going to talk to Dubas.

--Both speculated that Dubas would probably prefer the Ottawa job and might want to wait until that ownership change is settled. That taking a year or two off would still give him his pick of jobs.

--Yohe said that if he had to guess who the front runner is he would guess Tulsky

--There was some back and forth between MM and Yohe on if Tulsky would have the full power to make any changes to the roster / coaches and both agreed Sullivan was totally off limits that FSG see Sullivan as their Belichick. MM said the Pens should move Guentzel or Rust to send a message and that if a move like that isnt made the GM doesnt have full control.

--Yohe said he thinks a decision will be made this week; only way it takes into the weekend or later is if Dubas is interested in the job and need to think it over.

--Both agreed that if Tulsky were hired that a seasoned Head of Hockey Ops would be needed. Nothing on who that could / would be.

--MM asked Yohe outside of Tulsky and Dubas who would be the #3? Yohe said he's got a strong feeling on MacKinnon from the Devils. Knows the organization could be the dark horse.

--On Botteril said that he was never really that interested that FSG actually reached out to him. Yohe said he doesnt think Botteril wants a GM job and isnt sure why because he has all the tools and would be good at it. Both speculated at how he knows how the organization works: too much power with the coaches and players and that he wouldnt be able to make the moves he wants.”
Yohe said, this, MM said that, MM wants to tounge tickle Yohe's big fatty disgusting nipples, Yohe doubts MM's commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm fully on board the Dubas/Tulsky train in whatever roles they wanna give themselves. Let's go crazy. Wouldn't expect anything big immediately but will be interesting to see a young, analytic approach to running a team.

so is Kan Dingerski….bad sign lol…

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At least one PGH sportswriter is willing to criticize Sullivan in part lol…from Starkey’s mailbag…

“Mark, @Markvg31V: On a scale of one to incrinculent, how would you rate Shelton's, Sullivan's, and Tomlin's job of most recent?

Starkey: Much as I appreciate you incorporating “incrinculent” into the conversation, Dr. Mark, I’ll stick to a traditional grading scale (based on most recent season).

Envelopes please ...

Mike Tomlin — C

Mike Sullivan — D

Derek Shelton — B+

And if I might interject with two more …

Pat Narduzzi: — C

Jeff Capel: — A

I suppose you want me to elaborate, so let’s take ’em one at a time….

The Penguins were expected to make the playoffs, as usual, and failed. So maybe a ‘D’ is one grade too high. It isn’t all on Sullivan, of course, but his stubbornness in sticking with his system no matter the personnel on hand is hurting him. And I can’t help but notice how many ex-Penguins are flourishing elsewhere. Were some of them misused by the coach here?”

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
So if the rumors are to be believed, the following are still in contention, in no particular order

Dubas, Tulsky, Darche, Greeley?

Don't know much about Darche and Greeley but exciting names nonetheless, not the same old re-treads.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I prefer one or a combo of Tulsky and Dubas, but even if I end up "disappointed", it won't be same old, same old. New eyes, new vision, hunger to prove themselves. Particularly if the Pens end up with Dubas, though I imagine taking over a team with elite young talent on the cusp of the next step in Ottawa is more exciting an opportunity.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I prefer one or a combo of Tulsky and Dubas, but even if I end up "disappointed", it won't be same old, same old. New eyes, new vision, hunger to prove themselves. Particularly if the Pens end up with Dubas, though I imagine taking over a team with elite young talent on the cusp of the next step in Ottawa is more exciting an opportunity.

I have been assured that by virtue of it's very existence that this is a primo gig, OK?

(I'm actually pretty optimistic based on what we've heard so far but I can't help but be a horse's ass)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I have been assured that by virtue of it's very existence that this is a primo gig, OK?

(I'm actually pretty optimistic based on what we've heard so far but I can't help but be a horse's ass)
I do genuinely think any GM gig is a primo gig, but obviously there's a range to exactly just how primo. :laugh:

Being at the helm of an operation with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Chychrun, etc. and that team being a rival of the one who just fired you? :laugh: Seems preeeeeeetty easy to understand why Dubas would want to shove it in the Leafs' face with Ottawa if he chooses that route.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do genuinely think any GM gig is a primo gig, but obviously there's a range to exactly just how primo. :laugh:

Being at the helm of an operation with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Chychrun, etc. and that team being a rival of the one who just fired you? :laugh: Seems preeeeeeetty easy to understand why Dubas would want to shove it in the Leafs' face with Ottawa if he chooses that route.

Not all "terrific opportunities" are created equal.

The money prestige and power are across the board re: all GM positions, more or less (if anything a GM will have less power here than other places). But team circumstances are all vastly different. And there is a massive gulf between where the Penguins are and a team like the Senators are.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So if the rumors are to be believed, the following are still in contention, in no particular order

Dubas, Tulsky, Darche, Greeley?

Don't know much about Darche and Greeley but exciting names nonetheless, not the same old re-treads.
Karmanos was also part of round 2 so he might still be in the mix

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
it would seem pretty easy to make up the gap in near term team prospects (literally and figuratively) with money, both term and annual pay. fsg should be able to outspend ottawa if they want to.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not all "terrific opportunities" are created equal.

The money prestige and power are across the board re: a GM position. But team circumstances are all vastly different. And there is a massive gulf between where the Penguins are and a team like the Senators are.
For sure. If Dubas comes to the Pens, it's because FSG just offered him too much money and control over the work to refuse. Ottawa's a much more exciting opportunity imo, by leaps and bounds.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For sure. If Dubas comes to the Pens, it's because FSG just offered him too much money and control over the work to refuse. Ottawa's a much more exciting opportunity imo, by leaps and bounds.

Yeah having a shitton of money and a stable ownership group definitely helps.

Control, though? Whoever comes here will already have at least one major provision foisted upon them. Maybe that makes a difference and maybe not. But "total control" will not be a thing in Pittsburgh IMO.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah having a shitton of money and a stable ownership group definitely helps.

Control, though? Whoever comes here will already have at least one major provision foisted upon them. Maybe that makes a difference and maybe not. But "total control" will not be a thing in Pittsburgh IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. We all despise Sullivan as a coach, but reading the room around the hockey world, it may very well be true that Dubas would be stoked to work with Mike Sullivan. I still think we're all on an island as far as criticizing Sully goes, to even the slightest degree.

But yeah, the path is kinda set in Ottawa as far as a GM goes. You find a goalie (just so happens there's one absolutely elite one available in Winnipeg) and that team probably vaults to the upper echelon of the Conference for a decade or more.

Here? Uhhh, make people think you're busy for a couple years before a complete teardown and at least 5 years of being as bad as you can be while assembling (hopefully) elite franchise cornerstones through the draft. Sounds awesome! :laugh:

All joking aside; if FSG wants Dubas, and he's actually open to joining the Pens, they're gonna fly a private jet full of gold bars to his doorstep. They have to, with how the job itself is shaping up moving forward.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I feel like I must have missed something - isn't Dorion still GM of the Senators?
Or is this just speculating that once the Sens get sold they'll want to change the GM?

This isn't to say that Dubas might decide he's willing to wait around, I just keep seeing this bandied about like it's a done deal that the Sens are going to move on from Dorion, so I just feel like I must have missed something.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I feel like I must have missed something - isn't Dorion still GM of the Senators?
Or is this just speculating that once the Sens get sold they'll want to change the GM?

This isn't to say that Dubas might decide he's willing to wait around, I just keep seeing this bandied about like it's a done deal that the Sens are going to move on from Dorion, so I just feel like I must have missed something.
People are spitballing that Dubas might decline offers and just wait until an opening happens in Ottawa.

Reactions: Freeptop

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe, maybe not. We all despise Sullivan as a coach, but reading the room around the hockey world, it may very well be true that Dubas would be stoked to work with Mike Sullivan. I still think we're all on an island as far as criticizing Sully goes, to even the slightest degree.

Yeah like I said... maybe maybe not. Sullivan never got his opportunity to make a giant buttbag of himself in front of the whole hockey world (though one would think people would start to notice after five straight years of faceplants) like a certain past coach so the emperor still has his clothes and all that jazz.

But I guess I'm just saying that any young, dynamic, evidently sought-after and/or up-and-comer could well balk at this idea that the ability to reshape the team to his liking (and a GM-tailored coaching staff is usually a huge part of that) will be hamstrung because his suitor team thinks they have hockey's Bill Belichick despite being also-rans or worse for half a decade.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Considering the names of the people remaining as finalists for the Pens' staff, at least I can feel confident in saying that I'll like whomever they hire better than what the Flames did:

I mean, I don't know much about how Craig Conroy will run things, but Nonis as President of Hockey Ops / Assistant GM? Yikes.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I do think it's interesting that FSG seems to have fast-tracked Dubas to the front of the line and ushered him into the front runners this far into the process. I have to imagine they think very highly of the dude and are serious about courting him. I doubt money or control over the operation would be an issue if FSG were to offer him the job, potentially even in the face of their golden calf Mike Sullivan.

But again, I also think it's entirely possible, if not likely, that Dubas thinks Sullivan's a great coach. We as a group here seem pretty much on an island when it comes to Sullivan criticism, scathing or otherwise.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do think it's interesting that FSG seems to have fast-tracked Dubas to the front of the line and ushered him into the front runners this far into the process. I have to imagine they think very highly of the dude and are serious about courting him. I doubt money or control over the operation would be an issue if FSG were to offer him the job, potentially even in the face of their golden calf Mike Sullivan.

But again, I also think it's entirely possible, if not likely, that Dubas thinks Sullivan's a great coach. We as a group here seem pretty much on an island when it comes to Sullivan criticism, scathing or otherwise.

To a degree yes. But I also think they are at the point where the whole apple cart could be tipped over by a stiff breeze. Even his little fanclub that we call the local media seems more divided than before. And how could they not be? Dude just turned in a huge stinker... even putting the players themselves aside (who also turned in a huge stinker).

If he goes into next season like business as usual and then proceeds to shit down his leg for the first 20 or so games... even I'M not too sure what his future is, here.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
But again, I also think it's entirely possible, if not likely, that Dubas thinks Sullivan's a great coach.

I genuinely think that there's a huge divide in what the Pens fans think (which is clearly obvious) and what the people inside the hockey bubble think, where Sullivan is held in high regard. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just my feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad