Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I genuinely think that there's a huge divide in what the Pens fans think (which is clearly obvious) and what the people inside the hockey bubble think, where Sullivan is held in high regard. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just my feeling.
We have internet anonymity

They all have to play nice with each other

So it wouldn't really make sense for anyone in the hockey would circle of trust to start calling for heads

We don't have any real skin in the game, so we can evaluate on a much harsher scale

Which again, agree, not saying either group is right or wrong

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I find it incredibly unlikely that Dubas would accept the job if he were told “you have to keep Sullivan.” He can just wait for an actual good job with no limitations attached

Exactly. I'm really not trying to be a doomer here... I just think that if the team is seriously gonna make Sullivan a "no-go" issue just about any quality candidate with energy and a vison is gonna say "thanks but no thanks." I feel like that's kind of a big sticking point... more than people are copping to.

And I'm not trying to paint Dubas as some savior here, either. He has his baggage, too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Exactly. I'm really not trying to be a doomer here... I just think that if the team is seriously gonna make Sullivan a "no-go" issue just about any quality candidate with energy and a vison is gonna say "thanks but no thanks." I feel like that's kind of a big sticking point... more than people are copping to.

And I'm not trying to paint Dubas as some savior here, either. He has his baggage, too.
Yeah this has nothing to do with Dubas’ ability or even Sullivan. Dubas just left a job, in part, due to a desire to have close to full autonomy. Why would he go to a worse position (the pens just is definitely less desirable than the leafs at this point in time) where the very first edict is “you don’t have full control over the team.”

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
To a degree yes. But I also think they are at the point where the whole apple cart could be tipped over by a stiff breeze. Even his little fanclub that we call the local media seems more divided than before. And how could they not be? Dude just turned in a huge stinker... even putting the players themselves aside (who also turned in a huge stinker).

If he goes into next season like business as usual and then proceeds to shit down his leg for the first 20 or so games... even I'M not too sure what his future is, here.
I'm just operating under the assumption that Sullivan's job is safe until he's officially fired. Better for my sanity that way, as opposed to rocking back and forth in a room with his name scrawled all over the walls in chicken scratch like many do around here. :laugh:

They gave him an extension before his current deal was even up, before the dust had settled following his team's 4th consecutive failure to clear the bar of advancing past the 1st round (after a 3-1 series lead and leads in the final three games). At this point, I won't even pretend to know what the f*** is going on with this team or ownership because a coach with those failures at his feet gets told to pack his shit immediately. But here we are, rooting for a team who has made dysfunction their brand over the course of the past half decade. :laugh: We're gluttons for disappointment.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
no gm will take a job where he has no say on the head coaching position.
also, no GM would come in and fire sullivan right away and any GM that would do that without even working with Sullivan for half a season first i wouldn't want as our GM.

Now half a season in, all bets are off.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
no gm will take a job where he has no say on the head coaching position.
also, no GM would come in and fire sullivan right away and any GM that would do that without even working with Sullivan for half a season first i wouldn't want as our GM.

Now half a season in, all bets are off.
I bet the new GM gets fired before Sully...at that point just make Sully the coach AND GM with full control. Maybe he will fire himself.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I wonder if Sully's not so ingrained in this organization that he'll coach until he doesn't want to anymore, then pop upstairs into a FO exec role. Fun to think about, for sure! :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised to see GMMS at some point. Maybe POHOMS
FSG: Dubas/Tulsky is fired, our new GM is Sullivan and he will also be POHO with full control over everything.
Sullivan: Thanks, I just wanna give a shoutout to the boys at HFBoards. I'm not leaving bitches!

Reactions: IcedCapp

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm reminded of, uhhhh, Scuderi (?) saying something to the effect of "you need guys like me, you can't have six Kris Letangs out there" and envisioning Sully putting together a forward corps of 12 ZARs.

The beautiful game.

lol I think that was Gary "don't call me Spiro" Agnew. Mike Johston's staff. Natch.

Listen, if you're moving your feet with two hands on your stick you're doing it wrong. You gotta be belly on the ice, flailing wildly as the guy with the puck effortlessly skates by you.

So Brian Dumoulin? Ahhhhh... the NEW Scuderi.

Hey I forgot about him, too. Why hasn't he gotten a new long term contract? I'm thinking something like 3.5M for seven years. He's ONLY 31, after all. And think about what a DEAL that would be!

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I find it incredibly unlikely that Dubas would accept the job if he were told “you have to keep Sullivan.” He can just wait for an actual good job with no limitations attached
Most people around the league think Sullivan is a really good coach though. I don't see that being a deal breaker.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Most people around the league think Sullivan is a really good coach though. I don't see that being a deal breaker.
Yeah I really don’t think people here realize how much he’s revered in the hockey world. I mean, Rangers fans want him bad for example. I don’t think a new GM wants to fire Sullivan immediately as much as we all want it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I really don’t think people here realize how much he’s revered in the hockey world. I mean, Rangers fans want him bad for example. I don’t think a new GM wants to fire Sullivan immediately as much as we all want it.
He would have a job in minutes if he got fired.

We all want him gone, but that's not the perception around the league. So I don't know that a new GM would be bothered by having to keep him for a little while.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised to see GMMS at some point. Maybe POHOMS

I wonder sometimes if he is just burned out on coaching. The thing that really strikes me about last-five-years Sullivan is simply the lack of energy. It's like autopilot every single year. Maybe he would find terrific success as the head coach of another team. It's not like he's an idiot. But maybe he just has his sights set "higher" and being behind the bench has lost it's appeal.

Clearly I'm just 100% speculating but dude seems a little checked out. The only thing he seems to have much energy for lately is complaining about the refs after every loss and making excuses for his miserable powerplay while not actually doing much tangible about it. Or anything for that matter.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This has to be finalized before the end of the week I would imagine, we are coming up on a month until the NHL draft, there's work to be done.

Unless of course Sullivan is already planning out the draft and trades/players hes going to bring in

Reactions: BusinessGoose

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I’m not saying he wants to fire Sullivan. Let’s say the coach was some rando named Bob who was 13-69 last year. Dubas probably doesn’t want to be told “you have to fire the coach.” He probably wants to, but it should be his decision

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think everyone here fairly criticized Sullivan for his refusal to play any young players from WBS in regular roles last year, but I think the situation was that Sullivan just thought those guys stunk. It seems like Sullivan has been adamant this off-season about needing to improve WBS to have more NHL caliber players as call-up options.

I don't really recall seeing anything special in the few games that guys like Poulin and Hallander got, so I have a feeling Sullivan wants to push the new GM so that those caliber of players aren't Sullivan's first call-up options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad