Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I think Dubas would be awesome just for what he’d do for our amateur scouting alone. Whatever he and his scouts conjured up for evaluating prospects analytically has given them great results. Not counting first rounders you have Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Hirvonen, Holmberg, Abruzzese off the top of my head who show some NHL potential since 2018. And some other guys who could be late round steals. Robertson and Knies came into the league pretty f***ing fast for second rounders.

I would be cool with Tulsky too. Id be less inclined to go with Darche just because it feels like former player GMs have been misses most of the time recently.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think Dubas would be awesome just for what he’d do for our amateur scouting alone. Whatever he and his scouts conjured up for evaluating prospects analytically has given them great results. Not counting first rounders you have Knies, Robertson, Niemela, Hirvonen, Holmberg, Abruzzese off the top of my head who show some NHL potential since 2018. And some other guys who could be late round steals. Robertson and Knies came into the league pretty f***ing fast for second rounders.

I would be cool with Tulsky too. Id be less inclined to go with Darche just because it feels like former player GMs have been misses most of the time recently.
If we bring him in I hope we gut our scouting team and start fresh. For 1 thing I am glad Hextall f***ed up on was drafting that injured guy over Makar. ;) Thanks Hextall, see ya Hextall.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
For sure, not saying I would do a better job at all, but I still don't have to see Dubas as my preferred option as the next Pens GM, if we're going young and analytical I'd much rather give Tulsky a shot, as the Canes are much closer to the type of team I would want, than the teams Dubas has built in Toronto has ever been. Now if Tulsky would try to build a Canes like team here, or if he would go in a totally different direction when given the opportunity to make the decisions is a different story..
I want Tulsky, MacKinnon or Darche (in that order). I think Dubas would be my 4th choice after the guys listed.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
For sure, not saying I would do a better job at all, but I still don't have to see Dubas as my preferred option as the next Pens GM, if we're going young and analytical I'd much rather give Tulsky a shot, as the Canes are much closer to the type of team I would want, than the teams Dubas has built in Toronto has ever been. Now if Tulsky would try to build a Canes like team here, or if he would go in a totally different direction when given the opportunity to make the decisions is a different story..
I do wonder how Pens top stars with the Canes roster would be lights out offensively and still a pretty good defensive team.

We would be the jerks V2.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
If we bring him in I hope we gut our scouting team and start fresh. For 1 thing I am glad Hextall f***ed up on was drafting that injured guy over Makar. ;) Thanks Hextall, see ya Hextall.
Well the JR crew insisted on drafting guys with very limited offensive upside like the Judd Caulfields and Raivis Ansons of the world with later picks. Hopefully now theyll aim a bit higher.

Hextall will be remembered for two things in Pittsburgh :

Potentially ruining Sid and Geno’s last chance at a cup run

Drafting the next great Russian goaltender in Sergei Murashov. This guy is a monster.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Well the JR crew insisted on drafting guys with very limited offensive upside like the Judd Caulfields and Raivis Ansons of the world with later picks. Hopefully now theyll aim a bit higher.

Drafting the next great Russian goaltender in Sergei Murashov. This guy is a monster.
Would be a weird legacy. Hurt both Pennsylvania teams but give them both franchise goalies for when he's gone.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I really hope Dubas finds another GM role. Really disappointing that he is gone. I really liked how he always balanced the present with the future needs of the org. and ensuring they recoup draft picks even if it means trading down a few slots. I thought he was quite creative with trades and signings and he thought outside the box. While not perfect, it would be a big improvement over dinosaurs like JR and Hextall for PIT imo.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In fairness, having better scouting than the Pens isn't a very difficult task. A random fan with a subscription to the Hockey News' Draft Preview can probably do a better job than what our organization has done since about the Guentzel draft.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, it's bonkers to think about how bad their track record would be across the era if they didn't blindly dumb-luck their way into Jake, Rust and Murray as mid-rounders.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

We will see about that goalie.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I really hope Dubas finds another GM role. Really disappointing that he is gone. I really liked how he always balanced the present with the future needs of the org. and ensuring they recoup draft picks even if it means trading down a few slots. I thought he was quite creative with trades and signings and he thought outside the box. While not perfect, it would be a big improvement over dinosaurs like JR and Hextall for PIT imo.
If Pens get Dubas hopefully he can give us a good prospect pool and make great college signings.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Honest question, had you ever heard the name Mackinnon before two weeks ago and knew who he was?

September 7, 2019

Both Tom Fitzgerald and Dan MacKinnon will take on expanded roles and titles effective immediately. Fitzgerald has been promoted to Executive Vice President & assistant general manager, while MacKinnon will serve as Senior Vice-President and assistant GM.

Dan MacKinnon for the past three years has held the role of Senior Director of Player Personnel. In his new role, MacKinnon will oversee all areas of the teams pro scouting department as well as assisting the amateur scouting staff. In his role, MacKinnon will assist in player evaluation, acquisition and the preparation for the NHL draft. In addition, he will play a leading role in integrating the newly added analytics department.

June 27, 2016

MacKinnon, 42, joins the Devils after spending the previous ten seasons (2006-2016) with the Pittsburgh Penguins, including the last seven as director of player personnel. He served in that role for the 2016 Stanley Cup Championship team. In that position, MacKinnon oversaw all of the Penguins’ professional and amateur scouting operations in North America and Europe. He spent two seasons as director of professional scouting, and joined the organization as a scout in 2006. From 2000-2006, MacKinnon was with the Nashville Predators where he worked with Shero, serving as a professional scout (four years) and scouting coordinator (two years). He has also worked in the league office for the American Hockey League and for the Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL).

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

September 7, 2019

Both Tom Fitzgerald and Dan MacKinnon will take on expanded roles and titles effective immediately. Fitzgerald has been promoted to Executive Vice President & assistant general manager, while MacKinnon will serve as Senior Vice-President and assistant GM.

Dan MacKinnon for the past three years has held the role of Senior Director of Player Personnel. In his new role, MacKinnon will oversee all areas of the teams pro scouting department as well as assisting the amateur scouting staff. In his role, MacKinnon will assist in player evaluation, acquisition and the preparation for the NHL draft. In addition, he will play a leading role in integrating the newly added analytics department.

June 27, 2016

MacKinnon, 42, joins the Devils after spending the previous ten seasons (2006-2016) with the Pittsburgh Penguins, including the last seven as director of player personnel. He served in that role for the 2016 Stanley Cup Championship team. In that position, MacKinnon oversaw all of the Penguins’ professional and amateur scouting operations in North America and Europe. He spent two seasons as director of professional scouting, and joined the organization as a scout in 2006. From 2000-2006, MacKinnon was with the Nashville Predators where he worked with Shero, serving as a professional scout (four years) and scouting coordinator (two years). He has also worked in the league office for the American Hockey League and for the Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL).
Oversaw ALL of our amateur scouting? Pass.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I'm fully on board the Dubas/Tulsky train in whatever roles they wanna give themselves. Let's go crazy. Wouldn't expect anything big immediately but will be interesting to see a young, analytic approach to running a team.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Dubas’ 5 worst moves during his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs - The Leafs Nation

By Joseph Zita

1 hour ago

Just like my previous article about Kyle Dubas’ five best moves during his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs, it wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t write a follow-up article on his five worst moves during his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

As I’ve said plenty of times, Kyle Dubas wasn’t a perfect general manager, nobody is, but he did a lot of good things for this team while he was here, and yes, he even did some questionable things for this team that has hurt them at times.

When I was writing my five best moves from Dubas, I felt like that list could look different for other people, but as I was writing this piece, I thought to myself that my list probably looks similar to a lot of others because of how big these moves were at the time.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Tyson Barrie, Alex Kerfoot and a 2020 3rd-round pick from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen and a 2020 6th-round pick

2. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Nick Foligno (CBJ) and Stefan Noesen (SJ) in a three-way trade in exchange for a 2021 1st-round pick, a 2021 4th-round pick and a 2022 4th-round pick

3. Toronto Maple Leafs protecting Justin Holl and Alex Kerfoot over Jared McCann in the 2021 Seattle Kraken expansion draft

4. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Denis Malgin from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Mason Marchment

5. Toronto Maple Leafs sign free agent Petr Mrazek to a three-year, $11.4M contract ($3.8M AAV)

Honourable mention: Allowing Frederik Andersen to walk in free agency to sign a two-year, $9M contract ($4.5M AAV) with the Carolina Hurricanes

Reactions: vodeni

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Breaking that down a little further because that article is some bullshit looking back revisionist history.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Tyson Barrie, Alex Kerfoot and a 2020 3rd-round pick from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen and a 2020 6th-round pick

Ummm does anyone remember Kadri got suspended in like every playoff series for the Leafs basically causing them to lose? At the time, everyone seemed to love that deal. I'll stand by that.

2. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Nick Foligno (CBJ) and Stefan Noesen (SJ) in a three-way trade in exchange for a 2021 1st-round pick, a 2021 4th-round pick and a 2022 4th-round pick

3. Toronto Maple Leafs protecting Justin Holl and Alex Kerfoot over Jared McCann in the 2021 Seattle Kraken expansion draft

4. Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Denis Malgin from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Mason Marchment

5. Toronto Maple Leafs sign free agent Petr Mrazek to a three-year, $11.4M contract ($3.8M AAV)

Couple other comments

- Jared McCann is a ghost in the playoffs. I think they were fine not protecting McCann. I was a huge McCann fan when he was with Florida and was SO happy he came here. But when it mattered the most, McCann was brutal.

- Foligno could have brought them some size which they desperately needed. I don't think this is a bad deal. It's a hefty price but I'll stand by that decision.

#4/#5 sure. Every GM has bad deals. a 3 year 3.8AAV ain't Jack Johnson for 10 years.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, it's bonkers to think about how bad their track record would be across the era if they didn't blindly dumb-luck their way into Jake, Rust and Murray as mid-rounders.

What about Tampa Lucking into Kucherov and Point? Point specifically was a third rounder. Without him the lighting don't go back to back.

A Lot of teams "luck into these players". Or maybe Shero was just better at drafting than he gets credit for.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
^^ Breaking that down a little further because that article is some bullshit looking back revisionist history.
Yeah, a lot of revisionist history there!

#2 was about them getting a bit tougher, which wasn't the wrong move.

What does concern me is Dubas' lack of goalie success, right when one of our most crucial off-season spots to fill is goaltending!

Like, they couldn't draft/trade/find someone reasonable to fill the pipes?

Samsonov was a good choice, so I give him that.
And when was Mrazek any good?
And...really risky testing Matt Murray!

*edit*
With all the Jagr fanfare....
Maybe he could be our PP coach!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to DailyFaceoff's Frank Seravalli:

• Does Kyle Dubas really wants the Pittsburgh Penguins GM job?

• It seems as though the Pittsburgh Penguins GM job is not high on Kyle Dubas' priority list.

• Once the Ottawa Senators ownership situation is settled, it would probably be much more enticing for Kyle Dubas to join that hockey club since they are on the upswing and he grew up an Ottawa Senators fan.

What role could Iginla have with Flames and is Treliving the front-runner for Leafs job?

7:45 | May 23, 2023

DailyFaceoff's Frank Seravalli joins Sportsnet Central to discuss the hot topics around the NHL world including the Flames' front-office revamp, who is leading the pack for Leafs' GM and does Dubas want Penguins' job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad