Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You guys need to weigh things accordingly. If Edzo gets an advisory role here, that means he's off the air. That'd be huge.
I don't know about ya'll, but there's only so many times I can hear him talk about the player needing to shoot or elevate the puck.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sid and Geno marched into the fsg offices and said they’d have 6 rings if not for Sully. FSG agreed but said Sullivan had blackmail on the entire board and they were forced to keep him on as coach.
The sad part is Sid probably thinks he'd have 6 if he had Sully his entire career.

Reactions: Andy99

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

In 15-plus years of covering the NHL on a daily full-time basis, I have never seen a press conference like that where someone gets slapped on their way out. To me, it speaks to how it all went down. The tone of what was relayed to the public gives some sort of insight into what happened behind the scenes even though they didn’t spell it out.

My belief is that this wasn’t a financial leverage play that bothered the Toronto Maple Leafs. Brendan Shanahan makes, I think, $7 million per year. I don’t think that they’re offended by anyone asking for more money.

What I believe happened behind the scenes is that Kyle Dubas made a push to get Brendan Shanahan out of hockey operations and decision-making. He wanted complete and full autonomy and that this was a power struggle that took place.

How else do you explain the reaction? Have you ever seen the detail, to that magnitude, laid out in front of you at a press conference? A pure timeline, and even including such things as ‘Kyle sent me an email and said he’d like to stay.’ Who sends an email to keep their job?

Working through all of it, I’ve been saying for months if you listen to me that there’s been friction between Brendan Shanahan and Kyle Dubas. And I’ve seen other reports trying to shit on that reporting and downplay it. It’s just the truth. It’s what’s been happening behind the scenes for months now.

In fact, I think it goes back all the way to when Shanahan blocked Dubas from getting the Colorado Avalanche job back in 2017. This has been ongoing, it’s been festering, and Kyle Dubas felt like had the goods to make a play for the job, the way he wants to do it with his own autonomy.

When you come for the boss’s job, you’d better have the goods. And Dubas lost.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

In 15-plus years of covering the NHL on a daily full-time basis, I have never seen a press conference like that where someone gets slapped on their way out. To me, it speaks to how it all went down. The tone of what was relayed to the public gives some sort of insight into what happened behind the scenes even though they didn’t spell it out.

My belief is that this wasn’t a financial leverage play that bothered the Toronto Maple Leafs. Brendan Shanahan makes, I think, $7 million per year. I don’t think that they’re offended by anyone asking for more money.

What I believe happened behind the scenes is that Kyle Dubas made a push to get Brendan Shanahan out of hockey operations and decision-making. He wanted complete and full autonomy and that this was a power struggle that took place.

How else do you explain the reaction? Have you ever seen the detail, to that magnitude, laid out in front of you at a press conference? A pure timeline, and even including such things as ‘Kyle sent me an email and said he’d like to stay.’ Who sends an email to keep their job?

Working through all of it, I’ve been saying for months if you listen to me that there’s been friction between Brendan Shanahan and Kyle Dubas. And I’ve seen other reports trying to shit on that reporting and downplay it. It’s just the truth. It’s what’s been happening behind the scenes for months now.

In fact, I think it goes back all the way to when Shanahan blocked Dubas from getting the Colorado Avalanche job back in 2017. This has been ongoing, it’s been festering, and Kyle Dubas felt like had the goods to make a play for the job, the way he wants to do it with his own autonomy.

When you come for the boss’s job, you’d better have the goods. And Dubas lost.

If it's true that the process was Dubas has to report to Shanahan who needs to give it to corporate overlords who need to then mull it over amongst themselves.. yea that's ridiculous and I don't blame Dubas for wanting more autonomy.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
So anyone would sign Marner to 10.9 after one exceptional season and all of 5 playoff goals in three years? And Matthews to a contract that takes him straight to UFA after his ELC ended as well? Letting Nylanders contract negotiations drag on for ages, whilst allso bringing in a players coach with no previous NHL experience, building a pure skill based team until everyone starts screaming for toughness and grit, and relaxing a league wide dress code after your players whine about it? Seems more like a boys club than a pro team to me, so guess I'm not everyone..

Marner is 5th in scoring over the past 5 years.
Matthews is 7th

Dubas biggest issue was he didnt fix the goaltending. his matt murray deal was a blunder. in that regard it was a good ole boys club.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You guys need to weigh things accordingly. If Edzo gets an advisory role here, that means he's off the air. That'd be huge.
I don't know about ya'll, but there's only so many times I can hear him talk about the player needing to shoot or elevate the puck.
"That puck has to get out of the zone, guys"
True. :laugh:

"The forwards have the D, and the D have the forwards." is another one that Edzo feels the need to repeat literally every time there's a 4 on 4 situation.

I still want Tulsky as GM. I just really would prefer a smart analytics guy who can hopefully use those metrics to find better depth for this team. We have a core, albeit an older one; we just need someone smarter than most at finding good value in depth signings, trades, etc.

I'm not sure what to think of Dubas. It seems like there was a bit of a power struggle between him and Shanny in Toronto. It's hard to tell who's more at fault for that team's shortcomings in the playoffs because of that. I guess we'll get to find out once Dubas is somewhere else and fully running his own ship. Maybe Dubas is overrated, or maybe he hasn't been able to fully implement what he wants to do in Toronto because of the power struggle with Shanny. He's intriguing, but risky in that sense. He does seem forward-thinking on analytics, etc.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Marner is 5th in scoring over the past 5 years.
Matthews is 7th

Dubas biggest issue was he didnt fix the goaltending. his matt murray deal was a blunder. in that regard it was a good ole boys club.

I don't know if I'd call the Murray deal a blunder. The Leafs were without a goalie last offseason and had limited money and resources to get one. So they took a chance on Samsonov and Murray with the hope that one would work out and the other could be a replacement level backup. Samsonov was good this year, finishing top 8 in both Sv% and GAA. Murray was pretty meh, but still wasn't atrocious when healthy. Also, Woll was outstanding in his limited time playing. I'd take Samsonov/Woll as a goalie pair in a heartbeat.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From another poster…don’t blame the messenger lol

“MM had a segment with Yohe here are the main points:

--Pens were ready to hire a GM right before Dubas was fired. Pens asked for permission and are going to talk to Dubas.

--Both speculated that Dubas would probably prefer the Ottawa job and might want to wait until that ownership change is settled. That taking a year or two off would still give him his pick of jobs.

--Yohe said that if he had to guess who the front runner is he would guess Tulsky

--There was some back and forth between MM and Yohe on if Tulsky would have the full power to make any changes to the roster / coaches and both agreed Sullivan was totally off limits that FSG see Sullivan as their Belichick. MM said the Pens should move Guentzel or Rust to send a message and that if a move like that isnt made the GM doesnt have full control.

--Yohe said he thinks a decision will be made this week; only way it takes into the weekend or later is if Dubas is interested in the job and need to think it over.

--Both agreed that if Tulsky were hired that a seasoned Head of Hockey Ops would be needed. Nothing on who that could / would be.

--MM asked Yohe outside of Tulsky and Dubas who would be the #3? Yohe said he's got a strong feeling on MacKinnon from the Devils. Knows the organization could be the dark horse.

--On Botteril said that he was never really that interested that FSG actually reached out to him. Yohe said he doesnt think Botteril wants a GM job and isnt sure why because he has all the tools and would be good at it. Both speculated at how he knows how the organization works: too much power with the coaches and players and that he wouldnt be able to make the moves he wants.”

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
From another poster…don’t blame the messenger lol

“MM had a segment with Yohe here are the main points:

--Pens were ready to hire a GM right before Dubas was fired. Pens asked for permission and are going to talk to Dubas.

--Both speculated that Dubas would probably prefer the Ottawa job and might want to wait until that ownership change is settled. That taking a year or two off would still give him his pick of jobs.

--Yohe said that if he had to guess who the front runner is he would guess Tulsky

--There was some back and forth between MM and Yohe on if Tulsky would have the full power to make any changes to the roster / coaches and both agreed Sullivan was totally off limits that FSG see Sullivan as their Belichick. MM said the Pens should move Guentzel or Rust to send a message and that if a move like that isnt made the GM doesnt have full control.

--Yohe said he thinks a decision will be made this week; only way it takes into the weekend or later is if Dubas is interested in the job and need to think it over.

--Both agreed that if Tulsky were hired that a seasoned Head of Hockey Ops would be needed. Nothing on who that could / would be.

--MM asked Yohe outside of Tulsky and Dubas who would be the #3? Yohe said he's got a strong feeling on MacKinnon from the Devils. Knows the organization could be the dark horse.

--On Botteril said that he was never really that interested that FSG actually reached out to him. Yohe said he doesnt think Botteril wants a GM job and isnt sure why because he has all the tools and would be good at it. Both speculated at how he knows how the organization works: too much power with the coaches and players and that he wouldnt be able to make the moves he wants.”
I heard that entire interview as I Endeavor to listen to MM at least two or three days a week. Regardless, they didn't seem to really know they were just speculating without really having much in the way of a conclusion.

Last edited:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I think the Pens job is plenty desirable for a younger GM, who FSG will want to keep somewhat long term as opposed to a Rutherford (initially) or a Hextall. You get to throw caution to the wind in the next couple years to try to compete in what is becoming an open field.. and after that you basically get to turn the Pens into whatever you want.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Really just seem like two guys Spitballin I probably know more than they do and I would surmise that Dubas, darche and Tlusty are your candidates. So, we'll see. I'll be okay with any of the three but I would prefer dubas darche.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dubas would have so much less pressure on him, at least media wise. Obviously FSG wants to see results, but I'm sure they would give him a very long leash. And coming in after Hextall he probably received a hero's welcome. Night and day from toronto.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't know if I'd call the Murray deal a blunder. The Leafs were without a goalie last offseason and had limited money and resources to get one. So they took a chance on Samsonov and Murray with the hope that one would work out and the other could be a replacement level backup. Samsonov was good this year, finishing top 8 in both Sv% and GAA. Murray was pretty meh, but still wasn't atrocious when healthy. Also, Woll was outstanding in his limited time playing. I'd take Samsonov/Woll as a goalie pair in a heartbeat.

Should have been Samsonov/Woll. Murray was almost 5 mill wasted cap space and will be next year. He was a failed idea. He is a 5 mill dollar back up at best

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I know some might not agree with it but I am glad Sully wants to win now and FSG obviously has the same sediment. We should see some moves to put this team in a position to win with the new GM and get at least 1-2 more years of going for it. The issue is a new GM is going to have to have connections in the league to make that happen b/c its not going to be easy to restructure this team to make it happen. Its going to have to be a GM with experience and well connected throughout the league.

Goalie situation/Bottom 6 restructure (although Poehling/Doc etc should fill that out pretty nicely. Top 4 Dman/Top 6 difference maker.

Can we win with Sully and his ego and get that experienced GM that is willing to come in and not have full control? Is a young guy with few connections going to have the relationships in the league to make those changes.

I think it was one of the reasons GMJR was brought in when he was, management knew changes needed to be made and b/c JR was well connected he started making the moves..............He didn't stop

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
FIFY.

JR would have traded a first for an impact wing. And likely wouldn't have traded f***ing Pouliot.
I don't know. JR has a shelf life because he blows through his assets at first opportunity.

Our best chances for more cups were in 2011 (if the medical staff wasn't a clown show) and 2012 (Bylsma/Fleury). Maybe Rutherford would have done more around the 2012 deadline, but the Penguins seriously looked unbeatable that year.
KCD at its peak
KMN with Geno at his apex
Staal on the third line

Letang, Paul Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, Z. Michalek - fun fact, this D corp has a combined career earnings of over $250M USD.

Look at that winning streak in February. The team was outrageous at the time Crosby returned.
But then those last 9 regular season games...36 goals against. 4/game. Ruh roh.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
I heard that entire interview is I Endeavor to listen to mm at least two or three days a week. Regardless, they didn't seem to really know they were just speculating without really having much in the way of a conclusion.
That’s what i got from it too, and that was only by reading the post. Yohe seems to be Botterill’s agent or something because the only thing he does is push him. And as has been said ad nauseam here, Yohe and Rossi know nothing and we get more info from the Canadian/national guys, and it seemed like that interview was basically just repeating what we already know from those guys.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Should have been Samsonov/Woll. Murray was almost 5 mill wasted cap space and will be next year. He was a failed idea. He is a 5 mill dollar back up at best

That's a real hindsight call though. Woll had nothing but a couple average AHL seasons on his resume last offseason. That wasn't a great option for a wannabe Cup contender without a starter. Remember, there were concerns whether Samsonov would work as a starter. He was coming off of a sub-.900 season in Washington. So if he failed, they would have an at-the-time unproven AHL goalie as their only other option.

The plan was to take a chance on two goalies with questions for a combined AAV of less than $7m and hope one worked out. That's what happened. It was a pretty good plan to address the goalie situation they had last offseason. Sure, it would have been better if they only took the chance on the goalie that ultimately worked out, but that would have been a far greater risk at the time.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Samsonov was definitely a W. Murray was weird, and a gamble that you knew wasn't gonna work out.. but he paid nothing for him, in fact he got a 3rd for taking him. Dubas' main problem this season was not upgrading his LW.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Pens get Tulsky as GM I wonder if he brings over Andersen? I wonder if he tries to bring in anyone else from that team...I'd take Slavin. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad