Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Same, actually. I blew both of my knees and screwed up my left wrist playing either rando pickup or (very casual) league Summer ball hockey FFS. I caught a few stiches playing ice here and there but that's about it.
"Hey, no slapshots, keep the puck on the ice." Buddy winds up for a slapshot and I instinctively put my shin out to block it, RIP tibia. :laugh: Also had a buddy jokingly toss his stick and I stepped on it and ate the post, breaking my nose, sinus, concussion and dislocating my jaw. TMJ issues ever since.

The price you pay for the glory of sports as a 20 year old. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Friedman seems to think the favorite was Darche before Dubas came into the discussion again.

Eh, I'm pretty down on Darche but it's a gut feeling. I think the bulk of Tampa's good players were Yzerman's doing, and stuff like Jeannot that's happened since has been... Uh, questionable. :laugh:

But none of us really know how anybody will do if given the reigns. We'll see what happens regardless, for better or worse.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm not going to begrudge him for that. Toronto is a tough market.

And that's why I can't pin the Tavares signing solely on Dubas. I get the feeling he had pressure from higher ups to "get it done at any cost".

Feel like it was no different than Hex's orders to "sign Letang/Malkin/Rust at any cost; do not let them go elsewhere"

Politics suck. But as one of my mentors said "It doesn't matter where you go- there will always be politics in play"

Reactions: hockeywiz542

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Hey, no slapshots, keep the puck on the ice." Buddy winds up for a slapshot and I instinctively put my shin out to block it, RIP tibia. :laugh: Also had a buddy jokingly toss his stick and I stepped on it and ate the post, breaking my nose, sinus, concussion and dislocating my jaw. TMJ issues ever since.

The price you pay for the glory of sports as a 20 year old. :laugh:

I have some friends that keep trying to get me to come down to the rink for pickup every year and for a moment I get real excited about the idea. Then I get up to go grab my gear and my knees make a sound approximately that of someone breaking a giant wad of uncooked spaghetti in half and I quickly text back that stuff came up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I have some friends that keep trying to get me to come down to the rink for pickup every year and for a moment I get real excited about the idea. Then I get up to go grab my gear and my knees make a sound approximately that of someone breaking a giant wad of uncooked spaghetti in half and I quickly text back that stuff came up.
Dude, I have to stretch my hip out because I have a subluxation and when I'm straightening my leg out, my knee legitimately sounds like someone crushing an empty plastic water bottle. :laugh: It's f***ed. Getting old is awesome.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I think it came down to Dubas and Shanahan just not liking one another very much and Dubas basically saying "If I'm gonna stick around, I want more control and more money because f*** dealing with this doofus and this batshit crazy media/fanbase" and honestly, I don't blame him. Even if he goes elsewhere or doesn't come back for a year or so, completely independent of the Pens' job. Shanahan seems like a guy who would piss off anybody working with him. :laugh:

Regardless of what you think of Dubas I think a fair takeaway from this situation is that working for Shanny is probably toxic as ****. He always seemed a guy who thought his farts smelled like fresh cinnamon rolls and nothing coming out of Toronto has disabused us of this notion.

That's pretty much what my nose looks like. :laugh: Constantly look like I'm trying to smell my right cheek.

Mine's not quite that bad but I only ever had 2 'serious' hockey injuries and the second was a stick across the bridge of the ole schnozola. Nothing broken luckily but I was concussed and bled like a stuck pig. Mostly just scar tissue now but still vaguely straight.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Regardless of what you think of Dubas I think a fair takeaway from this situation is that working for Shanny is probably toxic as ****. He always seemed a guy who thought his farts smelled like fresh cinnamon rolls and nothing coming out of Toronto has disabused us of this notion.
Yeah I thought him airing out the dirty laundry between the two was real sleazy too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Mine's not quite that bad but I only ever had 2 'serious' hockey injuries and the second was a stick across the bridge of the ole schnozola. Nothing broken luckily but I was concussed and bled like a stuck pig. Mostly just scar tissue now but still vaguely straight.

Shanahan seems fine to me tbh.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Shanahan thing reminded me of when coaches call their players out and rip into their team in post game pressers. Like, on one hand it's a change of pace to see hockey people speak candidly, but on the other, when they're speaking candidly it very likely means they're either dickheads, incompetent, or a combination of both.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Shanahan thing reminded me of when coaches call their players out and rip into their team in post game pressers. Like, on one hand it's a change of pace to see hockey people speak candidly, but on the other, when they're speaking candidly it very likely means they're either dickheads, incompetent, or a combination of both.
Shanahan's always been a douche. He's super entitled.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
No GM candidate is perfect.

But you're in pretty good shape if you're picking among Dubas, Darche, Tulsky, Greeley, etc.

You're getting a younger executive with proven track records of using advanced tools to evaluate prospects and build rosters. You're getting someone with at least some modicum of success, even if it's just the regular season.

None of them are retreads. They all have question marks. Some have less experience. Some have made iffy decisions. But the general approach they all have to is to be open to new ideas, to listen to a variety of opinions, and to rely heavily on data. That's what you want in 2023 in the NHL.

The key is to do this portion of the search with finesse. You do not want to piss candidates off by being duplicitous. Dubas is a late entrant. That happens. Candidates understand that. And if he ends up not being the guy, when you circle back to your preferred candidate, be honest. Say you had to take a look, but the match wasn't there and you believe Candidate Z is the right fit.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah as dim of a view as I have right now of this team... the names that have consistently come up are all good ones. Or at least ones I don't have to do too strenuous of mental gymnastics to be good with.

The fear is hiring some thrice-washed old doof or a Mario-buddy or something. Doesn't look like that's gonna be a concern, here.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Umm who’s that? Matthew’s and meaner would get those contracts from anyone.
So anyone would sign Marner to 10.9 after one exceptional season and all of 5 playoff goals in three years? And Matthews to a contract that takes him straight to UFA after his ELC ended as well? Letting Nylanders contract negotiations drag on for ages, whilst allso bringing in a players coach with no previous NHL experience, building a pure skill based team until everyone starts screaming for toughness and grit, and relaxing a league wide dress code after your players whine about it? Seems more like a boys club than a pro team to me, so guess I'm not everyone..

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I want Tulsky hired because he looks like a sickly Victorian child and he's a mad scientist.
His brain power is just so much stronger than the rest. If you have an imminent rebuild, loaded with decisions that need to be done with foresight based on data and probability, I don't see how you let him walk. At least make him the POHO so he can advise, and is waiting in the wings if Darche or whoever fails.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Shanahan seems fine to me tbh.
I wouldn't be so sure. If the structure is what Dubas says it is (even with a grain of salt) then he may be more a part of the problem than the solution. I'd really like to know what moves Shanny poo-pooed and why. If there are good moves in there, Shanny is the issue, not Dubas.
Not sure i agree with that. He comes off as a bit of a "try hard" on the Chiclets podcast. In my opinion anyway.
He's finding his way. He's uptight. I think after awhile he'd loosen up. Being a radio color guy would be good for him. He does decent at that. It's the "sitting at a desk in a tie and being expected to give expert analysis and recap" where he seems to struggle a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad